TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Flying Scooter Techniques

Cable Snapping.

It's the ultimate goal of the Flyer Addict. Skilfully manoeuvring your tub can cause slack in the supporting cables - due to the pilot moving faster or slower than the support structure.

The result: the loud, sharp sound of metal cable hitting metal clasps on both the flyer tub and overhead structure.

I'm after some advice on the technique on how to "snap the cables",

i.e. when the flyer gets to the highest point do I aim the sail back to the straight position to slow down or turn it the other way etc.

Any advice would be useful..

Knoebels-2000-Flyers-03.jpg.a4a70000f0f5e58ffdc000870575131e.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're right, given the right conditions it's really not too hard!

I found it impossible to get anywhere close to snapping on the Flyers at Holiday World, but only a few days later I was snapping like a champion at Indiana Beach! My technique was the same for both rides, but a good breeze coming off the lake at Indiana Beach made all the difference in the world.

Does snapping work better depending on the manufacturer? I've tried CGA's scooters and get good heights, but the most I got was this wobbling feeling from the tub when I'd take a nice dive downward.

I have gotten some really good snappage on the CGA Flying Eagles. One time it was really scary because it was bobbing up and down so much. All I do is move the fin all the way to one side until the flyer reaches a maximum height and then very quickly move the fin to the other side.

1. Embrace the Wind

2. Anticipate and React

3. Be One with the Ride

And know that you probably will be delayed in your ride, if your in line after Ted.

ie: Indiana Beach was suffering from "high winds" after Ted's ride and we had to sit and wait for them to "test" the ride for ten minutes.

I guess each park can operates their Flyers at different speeds, "Plane Crazy" at Oakwood (Wales) was going slightly slower than a Chair-o-plane.

Do "Flyers" have different speed settings..? I could ask the Ops to turn up the power to increase the height and hopefully get enough speed to "Wrap" the cables or " Snap" them..

Can most "Flyers" touch the ground for a sec then carry on while it's spinning..?

Do "Flyers" have different speed settings..? I could ask the Ops to turn up the power to increase the height and hopefully get enough speed to "Wrap" the cables or " Snap" them..

They definetly have different speed settings.

For instance the one's at Lake Compounce went about as fast as Knoebels seat belt check.

Asking the op to speed it up so that you can snap them is not going to do anything. They're not going to crank it up so that you can damage the ride. In fact many parks have no snapping policies, so all you're going to do is draw attention to yourself, and get yourself kicked off once you do snap them.

It's really very easy to accomplish a snap on flyers. All you have to do, on a fairly fast moving one and proposing it's moving in a counterclockwise motion, one you feel that the ride is up to the "top speed" turn the rudder all the way to the right to make your self start rising once you hit the apex of the ascent turn the rudder to the left quickly and you will most likely have succeeded in "snapping" the cable.

Here's pretty much my flying style on CGA's flyers, both offride and onride, 2 different sessions, 2 different seasons. I still have not successfully got it to really snap as me, but did get some nice broad swings and got some very slight wobble/rocking feeling on the downward swings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaE9EJtpXAw

Video is taking forever to process...should be up shortly.

^ That's quite possibly the worst video ever. I gave up after the first 30 seconds.

I never did say it was a good video, neither was it intended to be the best video. I do admit the offride shooting was not the best at all, I couldnt even see where I was...but the second half I shot, mainly to show how the ride is for those who never rode it. I just thought the 2 videos could be shown to see how I fly 'em, hoping on the first part, one would notice one of the tubs doing more swoops than the other.