TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which is better? Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda Ka?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Ditto to that ^^^

At least TTD keeps their downtime to a minimum.

It's not so much downtime as it is Kingda Ka had a horrific accident and requires major repairs.

Michael"There's a bit of a difference"Thomas

^^^ Ditto to that ^^^

At least TTD keeps their downtime to a minimum.

It's not so much downtime as it is Kingda Ka had a horrific accident and requires major repairs.

Michael"There's a bit of a difference"Thomas

Umm....I'm well aware of that, but that doesn't excuse the fact that KK is down and TTD is not.

Threads like this should go ahead and die early. It won't go anywhere except into a really long circular argument.

It's all purely subjective, and for the sake of the argument, there isn't much difference in the two rides, with all technical differences aside.

I would say TTD because it has Lap Bars. I "Beleive" that there are OTSR on KK. If im wrong please correct me.

Your correct. Kingda Ka does have OTSR's.

Michael"Hope they don't hurt the air-time too much"Thomas

I prefer Kingda Ka to Top Thrill Dragster. The height difference isn't too detectable but the speed hill after the vertical drop is pretty good.

Also, as far as TTD being better because it's open more often... Kingda Ka hasn't even been open a year yet, and after the repairs it could very well have less overall downtime than Top Thrill Dragster.

Having ridden both several times, I'd answer the original question by saying "About the same."

Area themeing: Advantage Ka...The Golden Kingdom is nicely done, and the queue area and loading station considerably more pleasant than TTD's cattle pens.

On-ride themeing: Advantage TTD...KK lacks the buildup to launch that TTD's Xmas tree provides, and the cars look like cars, not jungle whatevers.

Loading: Advantage KK...the double platform worked nicely.

Ride Ops: Advantage KK...Of course, when I rode KK it was new, and the ops early enthusiasm might wear off...if the ride ever goes back up.

Restraints: Slight advantage TTD...KK's OTSR are minimally intrusive, but lack the pleasantly insecure feeling that TTD's lapbar gives while you wait to launch.

Ride: Advantage TTD...It was a year since I rode TTD, but the launches, to the best of my memory, seemed equally intense...I doubt anyone can really feel the difference 8 mph makes. KK seemed to pause a bit longer at the top...a defiinite plus when you're in the front. But KK was perceptibly rougher, especially in the back, and really, the hill didn't provide any airtime I could perceive, either in the front or the back.

Souvenir T-shirts: Tie...I love both of mine. KK's cost less, though.

Realiability: I ain't gonna hire Intamin to fix my motorcycle, that's for sure. Oh, and PGA Thriller^...have you actually ridden KK? And you do remember TTD was down a full month during its first year, right? I rode TTD four times in its second season and each and every time there was a breakdown of at least 15-20 minutes while I waited in line...I would have ridden a fifth time except it went down for four hours. Hmmm...

• 10 years later...

I've made it known here I am not a huge fan of Ka (one trick pony) but since I'm a Great Adv regularly, Ive ridden it a bunch, usually with someone who has never ridden or when it has no/little line. I did Dragster all of once and actually enjoyed the experience. It is too a 'one trick pony' but imo the lapbars make a HUGE difference for a tall rider, the launch felt smoother, operations were better/faster, the view from the top was nicer, and I personally like the themeing a bit more - it fits the ride style better on Dragster.

So my vote goes to Dragster. It sits way higher in my rankings than Ka.

I've ridden TTD way more than Kingda Ka, but both me, and my 60+ year old dad I rode it with preferred KK! The OTSRs didn't bother me at all, the coaster was faster, went higher, and had an airtime hill afterwards... To me, it was a pretty easy call! Granted, I think both coasters are one trick ponies, and they don't rank super high on my coaster ranks consequently. But if I'm comparing them, I gotta go with KK, in spite of popular opinion, and CP being my favorite park! (The colors are light years better on Ka too, which is another bonus! )

I haven't ridden TTD, but KK's launch was really boring for me as the acceleration wasn't constant. There was also no floater on the hill either. It also has really slow operations now with Zumanjaro and I haven't seen both sides of the station be used either.

After riding Ka all over the train last weekend, I can confidently say that Dragster is the better ride. You can nitpick about the theming, colors, launch intensity, view, restraints, etc... But Kingda Ka is incredibly rough anywhere except the front whenever the ride is traveling above 70mph or so. This is the one coaster I am perfectly willing to wait an extra 30 minutes for the front, that's how bad it is anywhere else.

I prefer Top Thrill Dragster. The lap bars are much better than the shoulder restraints and Kingda Ka has been running horribly rough this year. The past few years it was tolerable if you went for one of the first 4 or 5 rows and my last ride earlier in the season was bad even in the 2nd row. I have been skipping it on a lot of trips because it's not worth the wait only to get a headache. I like the air time hill at the end of Kingda Ka but I'd take Top Thrill Dragster any day even without the extra hill.