TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which is better? Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda Ka?

Kingda Ka has become unacceptably rough. I agree with Password121, I always wait for the front because it's the only tolerable part of the train. Plus, the restraints they replaced are much lower on your shoulders than before so the pullup can be brutal if you're tall.

And yes, for some reason KK's launch isn't perfectly constant. It has that initial acceleration feeling, stops for a split second right near the camera (which is why my on ride pictures are normal lately ) and then jerks you forward again. I personally like it, just when you think you're done accelerating it feels like it starts over. I'm just spitballing here and ignoring reality, but some extensive rehab would do the trick for me, maybe get the new Maverick/I305 restraints, replace the wheels, perhaps get more aerodynamic trains, rehab the whole launch system, replace the pullup track... then it would be perfect in my book. I haven't ridden TTD but I might get the chance in a few years so I can compare the 2.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always have, and always will prefer Top Thrill Dragster.

Not only am I partial to it because it was the first, and I feel like Six Flags was just trying to make a better copy, and failed... But TTD is smoother.. MUCH smoother... The trains look 100% better than KK's. The launch is to me much smoother, and more powerful.... Obviously the lap bars only are a huge plus, I really like the view from the top of TTD's tower, as oppose to looking out over a bunch of trees... And now I am just nitpicking, but I really just prefer TTD's color scheme to Kingda Ka's colors! Now if only Cedar Point would add a drop tower to TTD like Six Flags did with KK!

Now if only Cedar Point would add a drop tower to TTD like Six Flags did with KK!

Totally disagree with that last part. That drop tower is messing with how frequently trains can be dispatched. I think that's a New Jersey regulated issue but I wouldn't want to risk that with Dragster.

Now if only Cedar Point would add a drop tower to TTD like Six Flags did with KK!

Totally disagree with that last part. That drop tower is messing with how frequently trains can be dispatched. I think that's a New Jersey regulated issue but I wouldn't want to risk that with Dragster.

Well if TTD Could run normally without the issues that KK has, then I would like to see a drop tower added to TTD. If it would end up with the KK issues, then NO! I would NEVER want that to happen!

Well if TTD Could run normally without the issues that KK has, then I would like to see a drop tower added to TTD. If it would end up with the KK issues, then NO! I would NEVER want that to happen!

Isn't there a drop tower right across the path from Dragster?

Going simply by theme as I haven't ridden Kingda Ka, TTD wins by a landslide. The Top Fuel Dragster themeing is literally the most perfect theme for a this type of coaster, plus the promo video for TTD is much better...

Not to derail the topic, but personally I disagree with that last part. I loved KK's animation, 3DVIP did an amazing job with it. The physics are perfect, the music is exciting, and overall it was done really well. TTD's animation was done subpar in terms of animating technique. You can tell the guy used keyframes to make the train move, which makes it unrealistic. I had to do a lot of digging to find this, but Keith (3DVIP) developed his own program within 3ds Max in Maxcode that calculates the physics just like No Limits would and the result is real coaster physics. Instead of manually changing the speed for each portion of the track, which doesn't usually yield great results, he just places the train and the program calculates the rest with precision. Interestingly, after doing a ton of digging on old websites that no longer exist and recovering corrupted files, I found out that he actually submitted an animation for TTD which used real physics and was far superior and light years more realistic than the official one, but for some reason CP chose the other one over his. I prefer it to the official one.

Going simply by theme as I haven't ridden Kingda Ka, TTD wins by a landslide. The Top Fuel Dragster themeing is literally the most perfect theme for a this type of coaster, plus the promo video for TTD is much better...

Not to derail the topic, but personally I disagree with that last part. I loved KK's animation, 3DVIP did an amazing job with it. The physics are perfect, the music is exciting, and overall it was done really well. TTD's animation was done subpar in terms of animating technique. You can tell the guy used keyframes to make the train move, which makes it unrealistic. I had to do a lot of digging to find this, but Keith (3DVIP) developed his own program within 3ds Max in Maxcode that calculates the physics just like No Limits would and the result is real coaster physics. Instead of manually changing the speed for each portion of the track, which doesn't usually yield great results, he just places the train and the program calculates the rest with precision. Interestingly, after doing a ton of digging on old websites that no longer exist and recovering corrupted files, I found out that he actually submitted an animation for TTD which used real physics and was far superior and light years more realistic than the official one, but for some reason CP chose the other one over his. I prefer it to the official one.

Can you give a link to that animation.

I prefer Kingda Ka to Top Thrill Dragster. The height difference isn't too detectable but the speed hill after the vertical drop is pretty good.

Also, as far as TTD being better because it's open more often... Kingda Ka hasn't even been open a year yet, and after the repairs it could very well have less overall downtime than Top Thrill Dragster.

I have been on both in the front row, somehow I felt Kingda ka was more thrilling, especially the launch , and maybe because I rode Kingda ka first, and knew what to expect while riding dragster. Nevertheless, both are amazing, and TTD has lap bars, better theme and a superb view from the top hat.

Also I wonder why kingda ka doesn't have lap bars?

Animation aside, which I know is important but really it's not something I care about that much. The Kingda Ka video seems like it was made in Windows Movie Maker by highschoolers. At least TTDs has some cool transition and titles and a sick song and commentary.

If I were trying to promote a ride I'd emulate the TTD promo over the Kingda Ka one, simply because of its energy and commentary.

Reading back through this thread I could not help but to laugh when I read this.

It's not so much downtime as it is Kingda Ka had a horrific accident and requires major repairs.

I never knew Kingda Ka had a "horrific" accident... I would not consider a bolt failure to be a "horrific" accident. I would consider what happened on Smiler to be a horrific accident... But maybe that's just me.

My vote goes to StormRunner .

As for a poll, I think it's overwhelmingly clear which coaster most people prefer, so I'm not sure a poll is really needed to determine that!

Also, as one of the few KK preferring people, I will say that both of my rides on it have been in the front, so maybe that makes a difference? At any rate, I can definitely say, that at least for me, I prefer a front seat ride on KK to a front seat ride on TTD!

My vote goes to StormRunner .

As for a poll, I think it's overwhelmingly clear which coaster most people prefer, so I'm not sure a poll is really needed to determine that!

Also, as one of the few KK preferring people, I will say that both of my rides on it have been in the front, so maybe that makes a difference? At any rate, I can definitely say, that at least for me, I prefer a front seat ride on KK to a front seat ride on TTD!

That is a huge determining factor. Out of about five KK rides last weekend, two were in the front. After those rides, I wanted to hop right back in line and was *almost* ready to put it in front of Dragster. However, on my other rides throughout the train (including row 3, 4, and 7 I think), it was just so mediocre because it was just ridiculously rough. It was like the trains weren't meant to handle such ridiculous speeds. All in all, a front seat ride on either coaster is a toss up, but anywhere else I'd give it to Dragster without even thinking about it.

Can you give a link to that animation.

The official one is on youtube but the unofficial one is no longer online. I'll upload it somewhere. It's way before vip even existed so it's not as professional as later works . You may or may not find it better than the official one, but IMO it's far more realistic.

Here's the link. It's an exclusive, because the website no longer exists!

Anyway, back on topic, Stormrunner was pretty great because you're not expecting much from that launch at that speed but then it catches you by surprise when it has a really powerful launch. I love that ride, it's in my top 5 last time I checked.

I was never exactly sure why KK has the OTSRS but TTD has lapbars. Actually, all of Intamin's latest coasters have had those. Perhaps it has something to do with the Ride of Steel incidents, or NJ just overreacting as usual.