TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Parks

What's the park(s) the you like, while every body else seems to love to hate it?

I actually enjoyed SFA when I was there a couple of years ago. I'd even go as far as to say it's a nice park. It had nice theming for a SF park (in most parts). Roar and Wild One were the best maintained woodies out of all the SF parks I've been to. The best part was the short lines, though (I probably wouldn't of had nearly as good a time if their were crowds).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myrtle Beach Pavilion (i like small parks for some reason)

Seabreeze (ditto)

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (people used to love it, but lately i haven't heard many people praising it...even with the announcement of Curse of DarKastle)

The Great Escape (Comet Rocks, and Nightmare was a pleasent surprise)

Great Thread!

SFA & SFAW - Both of these parks have some great rides and SFAW has really nice theming!

I know on the Europe trip a lot of the ACErs hated Heide and Asterix, but I loved them and didn't even have enough time to do everything I wanted!

Elissa "when do we start the most OVERRATED park thread!?" Alvey

^^^I'd agree with you that The Great Escape is underrated, but it's been starting to live up to it's low ratings in the last year or two. Yes, the Comet and a few other coasters at Great Escape are excellent, but the park itself seems to be going in the wrong direction. For example, parts of Ghost Town look like they're falling apart, ride capacity is getting worse and worse, and for this year, Chipper's Magical Mystery Ride, which was an indoor scrambler with a 10 minute ride cycle and strobe lights, is being taken out of it's building, and will operate under the name "Blizzard".

Also, I'm really unhappy that we're getting stuck with Great Adventure's used kiddie rides. If they have to put in a bunch of kiddie rides, they could at least be new ones, and not from Six Flags Great Adventure, of all places. However, we're getting that hotel and indoor waterpark that will open next fall, but I just really wonder how much use most visitors would get out of it, since the majority of people that go to Great Escape are us locals, and we have no use for a hotel. And as far as the hotel goes, there really isn't anything special about Great Escape, except for the Comet, that will bring in tourists...so it just seems like a bad investment.

-Paul "...and I will NEVER ride anything called the Lolly Swing...never!" Bleichert

^But the only Lake George tourists that ever go to Great Escape are the motorcycle festival people, and you DON'T want to go there while they're in town...they're a pretty rough crowd. Most tourists to Lake George are older people, and don't visit Great Escape. As I said before, most (like 98%) of the guests are locals, usually between the ages of 15-25, and wouldn't need a hotel, since they live in the area. Great Escape is in no way a destination park, like Cedar Point is.

DCA. I just don't understand the flack this park gets. I love it.

I agree totally! I thought DCA was great. It was interesting to me because it was Disney doing Six Flags (at least the original SF concept) the right way, with a huge bank roll.

With the six themed areas highlighting the best of the state in architecture and landscape, and well themed "common" rides (roller coaster, ferris wheel, rapids ride, assorted kids flat rides, etc.), DCA is Six Flags over California.

If you have heard of this park you must be a crazed sheep riding hooligan or are officially the world biggest coaster freak, http://www.rainbowsend.co.nz (the music may kill you). I visited it while I was is Sheep Country (New Zealand) and it was actually much better then I thought it would be.

Also as some have mentioned, DCA. God, I wanted to hate it so I would be more accepted in the coaster community but I enjoyed myself a lot. Sure its more sort of a upmarket Knotts it was still well done.

I have to agree with the people who said DCA.

Another great park that people rarely talk about is Bonfante Gardens. It is easily the prettiest park I've been to, even prettier then BGW. People tend to overlook this park because it doesn't have any extreme rides.

Another great park that people rarely talk about is Bonfante Gardens

I have been there three times, and had a moderatly good time, the attraction we had the most fun on was the waterfall. Its a awesome looking park, but the rides are totaly meh

All I can say is, how much better of a park would it be if they had CCI put in a coaster instead of that steel lame'o coaster they have now

My dissapiontment stems from the fact that we went to this park, and I was looking foward to a roller coaster ride, after the kiddie coaster near the main pavilion, we made a beeline for the express, and lo and behold, its a "family" coaster, with a hieght requirment, some of the "family" we were with, could not ride.

Anyway I ended up going to the SCBB the next day to ride the Giant Dipper

I had fun, but if we had a choice between Bonfonte Gardens and Paramount Great America, we would go with PGA

I have been thinking about this the past couple of days & I have to say for me ,it's Bobbejaanland in Belgium. http://www.bobbejaanland.be/

To be honest I had not heard of this park until they announced Typhoon. http://www.rcdb.com/id2229.htm

Typhoon was the major reason for our trip there & Typhoon did not disapoint us.

They also have some other great rides including a great rapids, 2 log flumes (1 inside), Huss giant swing.

But the biggest suprise for me was Revolution http://www.rcdb.com/id917.htm. It's not the 'best' coaster in the world, but with its 30 car trains! it's a fun & very enjoyable ride.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have anywhere near the experience with different parks that many of you here do, but I must say that I agree with those that have mentioned Bonfante Gardens as an underrated park. It certainly exceeded the expectations that I had for it. It's not for the real thrill seekers, nor is intended to be. It's exactly what it's presented as: A "family" theme park. Most of the rides, while maybe not all that exciting, are certainly amusing and fun. The gardens are absolutely beautiful and exceptionally well kept. The Quicksilver Express coaster is just sort of an icing on the cake. I don't know enough about coasters to know what makes for a good one, or a bad one, but I know what I like, and I like this one.

I don't think the park would be well served by trying to add more thrilling rides. It could possibly do with a themed log or raft ride, but other than that, there isn't much that I'd change about the park. It's small and cozy, with plenty of shade and plenty of opportunity to simply relax and take in all the beautiful gardens and waterfalls. I really, really, like this park. It's along the lines of the backyard that almost anyone would love to have, but without all the work.

If you have heard of this park you must be a crazed sheep riding hooligan or are officially the world biggest coaster freak, http://www.rainbowsend.co.nz (the music may kill you). I visited it while I was is Sheep Country (New Zealand) and it was actually much better then I thought it would be.

Why is it that im at least one of them well its a good park they have a few good rides but they hardly ever get any new rides scince 1990 i think they have got 3 new rides a roller coaster (goldrush) a giant drop (fearfall) and a power surge (Powersurge) and the ad here in New Zealand is so annoying over all its a good park but would get more customers of they had season passes (its $40 to get a superpass)

Zane "BTW the logfume rocks (when i went on it they had a laser show)" Williams

My backyard...

It has a slide (my son names it Big Thunder Mountain)

2 Swings and a tower

A sandpit

A trampoline (big)

and lots of green grass...

--- Underrated by many...

OK OK OK... I guess this doesn't count...

I guess ANIMAL KINGDOM.. So many people hate it or avoid it. Might not be your thrill ride heaven (this might chance soon) but underrated like hell...

I'd say there are two parks that come to mind for me: Waldamere and Conneaut lake. (granted, conneaut has seen much better days. It doesn't have many rides and is not themed, but it is still the only park i can think off that does not charge for admission, which my girlfriend likes because she doen't like rides. )

As far as big underated: DollyWood. It surprises me how many Ohioans have not heard of it.