TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Underrated Parks

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SFGAm. Haven't been there in 9 years, but my visit in 2006 was awesome. For a SF park it was clean, had very solid theming, lots of shaded areas, great selection of coasters, was bigger than I expected, and their HH blew GAdv's out of the water. As much as I love GAdv as my homepark, SFGAm was easily the best SF park I've been to.

In fact, I find that SF's poor reputation is really over-stated in general, and have had great times at all SF parks I've been to.

When I saw that the last reply was from coasterbill I was preparing to join in on a Knoebels gush fest. I have been disappointed Bill.

Allow me.

KNOEBELS IS SO UNDER-RATED.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, it's not really under-rated, it's more unknown. It's the stuff of legends to people like us, but it's most certainly a regional attraction. If you ask someone outside of the state of Pennsylvania what Knoebels was, they likely wouldn't know.

^Yeah that sums it up. I think by now enthusiasts know that Knoebels is an amazing park... I've never heard of anyone going there and not loving it so I don't think of it as underrated.

Believe me though it was hard to pass up an opportunity to gush about Knoebels.

I think the Australian theme parks tend to be a bit underrated--at least by the locals. Warner Bros. Movie is can hold its own with any American theme park outside of Disney and Universal, Sea World (not to be confused with "SeaWorld") is very good, and Dreamland is solid, too.

^^ Yeah, to us we all know how great of a park it is. But it is generally unheard of outside the coaster community. Ask anyone of the GP what their favorite park is and Cedar Point, Disney, etc. would be the most common answers. If more people knew about Knoebels and actually visited, I'm sure it would get a lot more praise. People from all age groups would find an attraction they would love to death there.

Knoebel's is a regional park that happened to become a magnet for coaster enthusiasts. The locals have known how great it was for some time, and I'm not sure I would want it to get more "national" attention (could spoil it).

I may sound biased, but I think Silverwood is very underrated. Excellent wooden coaster duo, the original corkscrew, a Giant Inverted Boomerang that works, amazing food, cool theming and a nice waterpark. The operations and convenience could be better, but it also has extremely cheap water and ice cream so that makes up for it.

SFGAm. Haven't been there in 9 years, but my visit in 2006 was awesome. For a SF park it was clean, had very solid theming, lots of shaded areas, great selection of coasters, was bigger than I expected, and their HH blew GAdv's out of the water. As much as I love GAdv as my homepark, SFGAm was easily the best SF park I've been to.

In fact, I find that SF's poor reputation is really over-stated in general, and have had great times at all SF parks I've been to.

It's really amazing how quickly things can spiral downhill in just 9 years...

I may sound biased, but I think Silverwood is very underrated. Excellent wooden coaster duo, the original corkscrew, a Giant Inverted Boomerang that works, amazing food, cool theming and a nice waterpark. The operations and convenience could be better, but it also has extremely cheap water and ice cream so that makes up for it.

I've heard good things about Silverwood, but haven't had a chance to visit it yet.

It's really amazing how quickly things can spiral downhill in just 9 years...

I was at SFGAm in 2012 when X Flight was new and had a great time but am quite disappointed in reading how bad it's become in such a short time.

My pick for underrated parks are SFStL and Hersheypark - both going well beyond my expectations when I visited.

I feel like Silver Dollar City is for the most part very underrated. Most people (aside from some coaster enthusiast) basically have no idea SDC even exist, and those who do know it exist don't think it is "that great" of a park. When it is truly a hidden gem. The park is amazing. The theming throughout the park is amazing. The rides are amazing. The layout of the park is great. The use of terrain is great... I could go on forever. But since it's not a major Six Flags park, or Cedar Fair park most people don't even pay attention to the park. Which is sad because they are missing out on a really great park.

I'm going to go with:

Hersheypark (S'mores, atmosphere and the coaster collection is big and diverse. I love Skyrush and think it makes that park, luckily I'm tough enough for it.)

SFFT (Really nice park to walk around, with a nice coaster collection and a cool location.)

Universal Studios Singapore (People don't talk about it too much but it's an amazing park that is definitely worth swinging by if you're in the area.)

Castle Park in Riverside, Ca is the most underrated amusement park+mini golf course in Southern California in my opinion, especially for people looking for budget friendly places to go with their children. Castle park has decent theming, an S&S Double Shot Tower, a Larson Fireball, a Vekoma Junior Coaster, Log Flume, Spinning Wild Mouse, Larson Flying Scooters, a train ride, and even a small water park open during summer PLUS a ton of other flat rides for all ages (Gravitron, Tilt-a-whirl, Swings, Octopus, Falling Star, Pirate Ship, the list keeps going). Oh and did I mention this place is super budget friendly (they used to have free parking though now it is about 6 dollars) and it never gets too crowded.

I think the Australian theme parks tend to be a bit underrated--at least by the locals. Warner Bros. Movie is can hold its own with any American theme park outside of Disney and Universal, Sea World (not to be confused with "SeaWorld") is very good, and Dreamland is solid, too.

Yes, they really aren't bad. It's just that most Australians have only been to Universal LA and Disneyland, which is a tough comparison for any park!

Parks I consider underrated:

- there's more to Djurs Sommerland than just Piraten, the park is like Knoebels with themeing! Much more to this place than just the rides too, plenty of "activities" - pellet guns, bouncy pillows, pedal boats, ropes course - to keep you occupied.

- Liseberg has at least three excellent coasters, a brilliant haunted house, a great log flume, and plenty else besides.

- Universal Singapore might be the smallest Universal park, but the whole park has been designed with immersiveness in mind. No facades on sound stages here, The Mummy is inside a huge Egyptian temple (and is the best version of this ride), Madagascar sits inside a full-size container ship, and Shrek's castle is simply enormous.

DCA. I just don't understand the flack this park gets. I love it.

I agree totally! I thought DCA was great. It was interesting to me because it was Disney doing Six Flags (at least the original SF concept) the right way, with a huge bank roll.

With the six themed areas highlighting the best of the state in architecture and landscape, and well themed "common" rides (roller coaster, ferris wheel, rapids ride, assorted kids flat rides, etc.), DCA is Six Flags over California.

It used to be "meh" but it absolutely came arouns with the $1 billion makeover.

DCA. I just don't understand the flack this park gets. I love it.

I agree totally! I thought DCA was great. It was interesting to me because it was Disney doing Six Flags (at least the original SF concept) the right way, with a huge bank roll.

With the six themed areas highlighting the best of the state in architecture and landscape, and well themed "common" rides (roller coaster, ferris wheel, rapids ride, assorted kids flat rides, etc.), DCA is Six Flags over California.

It used to be "meh" but it absolutely came arouns with the $1 billion makeover.

I enjoyed DCA in its early years, but it suffered in comparison to Disneyland. It's much better now and can hold its own.