TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beijing Olympics!

Mr. Starr

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit tired of the beach volleyball, but seeing Phelps do his thing is cool. Phelps' pursuit of 8 golds doesn't seem to have the buzz that Spitz's 7 had 36 years ago. Then again Costas and crew don't hold a candle to the great Jim McKay. One thing I really like is how Kobe , LeBron and company are keeping things focused in the basketball tourney. I admire their attitude and focus.

Usain Bolt...just WOW. New 100m world record of 9.69 seconds and he was showboating the last 10 metres! Never seen anything like it, truly amazing.

Also a great day for us Brits

The 100m finale was very great but i don't watch OL very much.

Today was a good day for Denmark too -> We got 1 bronze! Very much.. The best ones aren't from Denmark

Usain Bolt...just WOW. New 100m world record of 9.69 seconds and he was showboating the last 10 metres! Never seen anything like it, truly amazing.

The slo-motion replays cracked me up. I've never seen someone so lackadaisical winning the 100m Olympic final!

^^Dude, at least yours (OK, also half-my country) is expected. The U.S. pours enough money into their athletes like it's the Iraq War of sports! Meanwhile the Canadian government just seems to be VERY lackadaisical about their athletic support on the world stage. I sincerely hope it changes when the home crowd is expecting a lot more in 2010.

Dan "Maybe we can follow China and recruit 13-year-old star hockey players! " Smith

I say congrats to Michael Phelps but can we please, please, please see something other than swimming now? I have mostly been watching NBC's primetime (which loves to air events 20 hours later) and all I have really seen so far are gymnastics and swimming and a bit of volleyball, with a little bit of diving here and there. @_@

I now consider Michael Phelps not only the greatest olympian of all time, but tied with two other men for the greatest athlete of all-time. The only two men that can be placed in the same category are two athletes, Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong, who are also "alone" in their field (ok I know Phelps did win 3 of his golds in team events but he is still alone in the pool). What do all three of these men have in common...they are all winners! Now I do believe what Phelps achieved is the hardest of these mens accomplishments, but Woods and Armstrong won championships while fighting through problems (Woods and his knee at the US Open and Armstrongs fight through cancer). To me it seems the biggest problem Phelps has faced so far is water-filled goggles!

Congrats to Phelps but it is sad for me to think that my favorite 3 events, Swimming, Beach Volleyball, and Girls Gymnastics, are all coming to an end and it will be a long 4 years until London and even longer until we see a performance like we saw this week!

^^Dude, at least yours (OK, also half-my country) is expected. The U.S. pours enough money into their athletes like it's the Iraq War of sports! Meanwhile the Canadian government just seems to be VERY lackadaisical about their athletic support on the world stage. I sincerely hope it changes when the home crowd is expecting a lot more in 2010.

Dan "Maybe we can follow China and recruit 13-year-old star hockey players! " Smith

Haha OK, but you guys will own at the 2010 Winter Olympics!

It is interesting to note that there are only 2 sports where 8 gold medals are even possible: Swimming and Men's (and only men's) Gymnastics. For someone to get 8 gold medals in gymnastics, he would have to win every single event that is held. All of the individuals, the all-around, and the team final. This is pretty much impossible on any level because there are so many specialized gymnasts that compete.

While Michael Phelps is simply amazing, I think more credit needs to be given to the other athletes competing at the Olympics because none of them have a chance to win as many as he can.

I also hate that sportscasters are looking at sliver as if it were a loss. This is pathetic and stupid because any medal is an amazing achievement that none of those radio hosts and reporters could ever hope to achieve, let alone qualify. For instance, in last night's 100m, no one focused on the fact that both the US athlete and the Tunisian (Is that who took sliver? I know he ran college track in the US) beat the Jamaican who was supposed to be the one who would upset Bolt. There was one shot of the silver medalist celebrating, and they said "He looks like he's just won gold" in a way that indicated he still lost. This isn't the mindset of most athletes competing. To them, any medal is a great accomplishment, gold just being the icing on the cake.

Well Go New Zealand!

Valerie Vila got gold in the womans shot put on her first throw.

Another Gold in the Rowing with the Evers-Swindell twins getting gold in the Womans Double Sculls. Hayden Roulston getting Silver in the Men's Individual Pursuit. Mahe Drysdale Bronze in the Mens single sculls (then vomiting for a good 20 mins after crossing the line and had to get help from the NZ medical team) and finally Nathan Cohen and Rob Waddell, Bronze in the Mens Doubles Sculls.

Did i mention this was all in one day?

I thought that the Beijing Olympics were fantastic and London have a lot to follow. I am pretty undecided wether I liked the London bit or not. It was a bit too blah for me. Did anyone else who watched it like it or hate it? (preferably somone not British but it's still ok! )

I thought that the Beijing Olympics were fantastic and London have a lot to follow. I am pretty undecided wether I liked the London bit or not. It was a bit too blah for me. Did anyone else who watched it like it or hate it? (preferably somone not British but it's still ok! )

It was kind of weird. It felt a little like Rent or some sort of Broadway show. I agree that London, (and hopefully Chicago), will have to bring out the big guns for the next Olympics.

And maybe they can use some REAL fireworks.