TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Beijing Olympics!

Mr. Starr

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually don't like the opening ceremonies because I find them boring but this one was great. They did a really awesome job incorporating technology in the performances as well as just sheer numbers of people that were all coordinated in a stunning fashion. The only boring part for me was when they have all the countries walk in, that's just downtime for me.

I predict this Olympics will be one of the best in the last 30 some odd years because I think China took the games very seriously and with a high level of planning and importance. They see this as an opportunity to prove to the world that they can pull off something amazing and gain some respect from countries who currently don't respect them (ours included)

With all the media negativity about the games over here I think anyone who actually gives this games a chance will see past the media negativity and realize that China is hosting a great games.

China rocked by Olympic murder

By STAFF REPORTER

Published: 09 Aug 2008

rigTeaserImage

A KNIFE-wielding Chinese man attacked two relatives of a coach for the US Olympic men’s volleyball team at a tourist site in Beijing, killing one and injuring the other on the first day of the Olympics.

The man then committed suicide by throwing himself from the second story of the site, the 13th century Drum Tower just five miles from the main Olympics site.

The brutal attack shortly after midday was all the more shocking because of the rarity of violent crime against foreigners in tightly controlled China, which has ramped up security measures even more for the Olympics.

The stabbing came only hours after what by many accounts was the most spectacular opening ceremony in Olympic history and has already dampened some of the enthusiasm.

“They are deeply saddened and shocked,” Darryl Seibel, a spokesman for the US Olympic Committee, said of the volleyball team.

The US Olympic Committee said in a statement that two family members of a coach for the men’s indoor volleyball team were stabbed at the Drum Tower “during an attack by what local law enforcement authorities have indicated was a lone assailant.”

One of the family members was killed and the other was seriously injured, it said. It did not identify the coach or give other details.

The official Xinhua News Agency identified the attacker as Tang Yongming, 47, from the eastern city of Hangzhou.

It said Tang attacked the two Americans and their Chinese tour guide, who was also injured, at 12:20 p.m. on the second level of the ancient tower, then leapt to his death immediately afterward. The second level of the tower is about 130 feet (40 meters) high.

US Embassy officials said they were in contact with relatives of the victims who are in Beijing.

At the scene, police blocked off streets leading to the Drum Tower and cordoned off the area with yellow police tape. Officers collected samples from the tower and the street below.

Attacks on foreigners in China are extremely rare. A Canadian model was murdered last month in Shanghai, but police said that was because she stumbled onto a burglary.

In March, a screaming, bomb-strapped hostage-taker who commandeered a bus with 10 Australians aboard in the popular tourist city of Xi’an was shot to death by a police sniper.

Is Michael Phelps in any way related to the hate-mongering Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Cult? I'm assuming not, because of how anti-America they, are but I'm not sure. Just wondering.

Phelps is a really common last name.

Is Michael Phelps in any way related to the hate-mongering Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Cult? I'm assuming not, because of how anti-America they, are but I'm not sure. Just wondering.

Yeah. Fred Phelps protested at my church. I don't care for him.

The Phelp's race was amazing. I'm sure the that Frech guy is still shocked.

-Tatum

^Okay. I didn't know that. I've actually never heard that last name before (except for WBC). Thank you!

Now I can tell my mom I learned something

According to this site Phelps is the 494th most common last name in the US, with over 57,000 people sharing it.

***Olympics spoilers for those who did not see it yet.

Did anybody see this? This has to be one of the most intense moments I've ever seen and I was on edge the entire time. I'm happy that the U.S. was able to pull it off and beat them when more pressure was added on.

Lezak did an absolutely superb job coming back at the very end. I was so upset I was about to turn the TV off but I have honestly never shouted this loud in my life at a television set.

Did anybody see this? This has to be one of the most intense moments I've ever seen and I was on edge the entire time. I'm happy that the U.S. was able to pull it off and beat them when more pressure was added on.

Lezak did an absolutely superb job coming back at the very end. I was so upset I was about to turn the TV off but I have honestly never shouted this loud in my life at a television set.

I just saw it on the news. Wow, that was an incredible battle. I loved the shouts of happiness of the Usa swimmers too.