TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Aftershock Mishap

This just in

2008 - Aftershock - (8/8/08) I had a bad feeling that it wasn’t going to take very long for this to happen, but Silverwood’s new Aftershock coaster made the headlines when a faulty sensor caused the ride to stall the train just as it was “approaching the second tower” on Wednesday. It wasn’t that bad though as the crews were able to get everyone evacuated from the coaster in only 10 minutes. According to the article the sensor was replaced and the ride reopened with the park on Thursday morning.

Oh and thank you to the person who put the quote in.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Atleast it was fixed fairly quickly, and evacuated EXTREMELY fast. At EPCOT I had to wait 75 minutes before we were evacuated.

So atleast there trying to take care of there ride, unlike some parks do *cough*SixFlags*cough* Though SFMM is heading in the right direction in the way there going making the park pretty awesome.

Good to hear Silverwood got it back up and running, and if the 10 minutes evac is true, than thats amazing... congrats to them.

Oh and the whole epcot 75 minute evac thing: they usually take a while to get the guests off as Disney tries all they can do to re-start the ride and get it up and running before evac'ing... that's there last resort and usually don't like doing it as their rides are very complex, with lots of safety systems in place unlike a lot of coasters out there, and they hold a lot of people as well.

Was afraid this was going to happen? What a strange thing to say. It almost sounded like you knew this was going to happen like you sabotaged it. A sensor going bad really is not an unusual thing. There are so many sensors on so many rides any one of them could go bad at any time. So when they do go bad, which is a normal thing as stuff like that will wear out or fail, will you say you were afraid that was going to happen too? The sensor went bad and the ride shut down like it is normally supposed to do which is what you should expect to happen.

This would sometimes happen multiple times a day at its old location (I remember some days working the ride where it did it 10+ times a day). As I said before, it would run flawlessy with no breakdowns for a month then go to hell, then later in the year run real well for a month again and then go to hell again. It doesn matter how they "fixed" it, it wont be immune to a breakdown once in awhile like all rides. As Jew said a non story, someone from the media was probably in the park at the wrong time and anytime a coaster gets stuck and the media finds out it will end up being overblown.

Exactly Jew thank you. And I would like to add about the comment on Disney rides holding more people and having more safety systems than most other rides, I find difficult to believe. Most if not all modern rides/coasters have numerous safety systems and backups - this incident is the perfect example of that. The computer detected a sensor fault and as a safety precaution to prevent accident or injury, shut the ride down. Completely normal end of story. Besides, where were all these safety systems when Big Thunder Mountain Railroad had an accident caused by operator error? If the proper safety system had been in place the ride would have shut down before that happened. And if I remember correctly it was also a software problem but still, some kind of safety system would have caught that. So no that is not likely true. Can anyone back me up on this?