TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Whoo Hoo! It looks like I'm finally going to get to go to KI for the first time this summer, and I can't wait! I've heard so much about this place, and it looks amazing. Some "first timers" advice would be really appreciated!

Yes, Yes, I know...Fast Lane Plus....and....It's just not gonna happen. Period. I have tried finding a way to get it , but for budgetary reasons outside of my control it just isn't.

So, that being said, I have a couple questions:

Is it better to go right first and hit Mystic Timbers, Beast, and Diamondback first, or go left and hit Flight of Fear and Orion?

What should we do for food here? Is Coney BBQ the same/similar as Cotton Blossom at WoF (I'm going there on the same trip as well)?

Can you ride the train without having a ticket to the water park?

Any additional advice would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!

Orion is a people eater.  even a long line on that moves fast.

do Diamondback, MT, and Beast first.  (that's the order you'll get to them if you go right).  
if you go straight back behind the Tower, you'll hit Beast, MT, then DB in that order.

there is a Skyline Chili near the front gate, that was good.   the "Tom & Chee" (grilled cheese place) in front of Diamondback is really good too.  I'd recommend both of those.
the menu at the french restaurant near the tower looked great too, tho we didn't try it.

IMG_8798.thumb.JPG.7a7f14f314361605834439a394547408.JPG

IMG_8799.thumb.JPG.81b76dfc667cf74689991a51e148c294.JPG

yes, you can ride the train without getting off and going into the waterpark.

dont' sleep on Adventure Express . a very fun mine train, or the Bat - never has much of a line, since it's such a walk to get to the station (it's near Banshee for entrance to the Bat queue)

you should move heaven and earth to figure out a way to get FL+ tho. .. even if not too busy, FL+ will cut out a TON of the walking in the queuelines.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bert425 said:

you should move heaven and earth to figure out a way to get FL+

This. Then, you can go in whatever the hell order your heart desires.

• Haha 1

Poor thing. It was having some issues that had it closed for a decent chunk of time when I was there on the 12th.

Also, briefly gonna mention, the new Phantom Theater Encore show is a pretty good treat! Was actually my first show to see in that theater and didn't disappoint! Worth a watch if you're at the park!

Edit: Also adding, The Beast back row on the first drop is actually pretty fun now! 😄 The work done on the huge turnaround is fantastic as well!

Edited by Midgetman82

Ouch.  Going to be there in a little over a month and the Bat is still one of my favorites there...I imagine it's going to take longer than that to get track replaced, even if it doesn't turn into a major investigation like El Toro did.  At least it looks like just one section of track, and no injuries, so hopefully it doesn't get the ride shut down for too long...

I got 70 rides between all day Tuesday and the first half of yesterday with no fastlane. God I’m in love with KI.

Beast was solid. Row 17 for smoothest and 15 for roughest. I also thought Racer was running really well (I did ride last year too). I somehow had the best rides on invertigo I’ve ever had.

Hopping for a speedy recovery for the bat! I left before it happened but it was my last ride of the day.

• Like 1

I'm visiting for the first time in 24 years July 18th - how intensive are Ohio ride investigations compared to New Jersey?

I'm pretty sure Kings Island can get the track repaired fairly quickly as they've already been doing rail work on Bat this year. But since there was an actual event that could trigger a state investigation if the safety laws are strict enough. The train doesn't seem to be to bad, repair the wheel, maybe the derail bar and inspect every axle - plus they can run a single train in the short term with just an inspection of it. I suspect the ride itself can be repaired and read to run by my visit with no problem - but if the state wants to do their own investigation that could certainly be an item that pushes a potential opening into late 2022 or even 2023.

17 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

how intensive are Ohio ride investigations compared to New Jersey?

Steel Vengeance crashed and opened a few hours later. It's Ohio.

As for everything else that you said, just because we only saw a photo of one piece of damaged track doesn't mean that's all there is. I wouldn't be surprised if this ride opens in the next few days, I also wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't open until next season. Nobody is going to be able to get anywhere near this thing until it reopens just because of it's location so we're just making assumptions based on 3 photos.

3 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Steel Vengeance crashed and opened a few hours later. It's Ohio.

As for everything else that you said, just because we only saw a photo of one piece of damaged track doesn't mean that's all there is. I wouldn't be surprised if this ride opens in the next few days, I also wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't open until next season. Nobody is going to be able to get anywhere near this thing until it reopens just because of it's location so we're just making assumptions based on 3 photos.

I could picture premier, S&S or Vekoma retracking large sections. I would assume it would also prolong its life span. Then have some new lap bar vekoma trains installed!!!!!

4 hours ago, grsupercity said:

I could picture premier, S&S or Vekoma retracking large sections. I would assume it would also prolong its life span. Then have some new lap bar vekoma trains installed!!!!!

Major renovations would be good. But none of that necessary to get the ride reopened. KI has all of the materials and tools on hand to fix the damaged rails because they were already doing rail work on the coaster within the last few months.