TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

7 hours ago, Pedrinho said:

I'm a little late to the party and the link seems to be expired. 

Does anyone have the photo on hand? The Google did nothing to please me here. :)

it's still the 1st post on their Facebook page :)  (Heightened Imagery)

but here ya go:

261387745_443517163957912_84927278142192

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bert425 said:

it's still the 1st post on their Facebook page :)  (Heightened Imagery)

Thanks, Bert!

Not being on Facebook I missed that.

That really looks crazy. I didn't know it was a thing to strip a wooden coaster down to the footers. Nice that they really want to improve The Beast!

• Like 1

Gravity Group has the Beast project. The drop is going to be a bit steeper and the new pre cut track will be used. All around good news!

"The world’s longest wooden roller coaster, The Beast at Kings Island, is receiving 2,000 feet of track refurbishment this winter.

The Gravity Group, which installed 600 feet of its new engineered precut track on the park’s Racer roller coaster last winter, is breathing new life into the ride’s first drop and through the first tunnel and turn towards the second drop and 540-degree helix tunnel, while Kings Island’s carpenters are retracking approximately 1,090 feet of track in other sections along the 7,359-foot long course.

The first drop will see a change from 45 degrees to 53 degrees. This change isn’t being made to add more speed or thrill element to The Beast, but to come in lower in the tunnel to provide the proper parabolic arcs due to reprofiling of the track in that area of the ride. This change, along with The Gravity Group’s vertical track design, will deliver a buttery-smooth transition through the tunnel and onto the second drop.

The Beast helix crossover will see a redesign and installation of new bents. With the redesign, the forces through the structure will be more evenly distributed to the foundation, the rigidity of each bent more consistent and therefore resulting in a smoother ride experience.

The original design of The Beast had the upper and lower track in the helix on top of each other. In order to simplify the geometry of the crossover, the lower bents will be upper bents until the tunnel."

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/december/beast-of-a-project-this-winter-at-kings-island?fbclid=IwAR05SXIvqUyhFqpVCAx_sg_E1we7_g5PoOMpd7e6TdY2aZ6x72XHPx2kcqI

• Like 4

On 12/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, southpuddle said:

Wow interesting! The new track on Racer was butter smooth, this should be fantastic! Can anyone clarify what they mean about the upper and lower bents in that last paragraph?

What I'm getting from it and I could be wrong is they're redoing the geometry so instead of dropping down and then coming back up possibly maybe start out on the bottom near the tunnel and then climb up the helix?

16 hours ago, dankeykang said:

I'm guessing the changes to the second half are entirely for structural purposes; the actual ride layout won't be changed.

I think you're right the layout won't change, I think looking at the crossover in the picture I think they might mean that the elevation will change at the tunnel entrance, like the drop in will go lower and then the crossover will move to above the drop-in... just how I'm reading it.

the beast layout.jpg

I think it's more about how the helix was deigned and the support structure's ability to flex differently for different weighted trains, and they didn't have the technology back then when it was originally built. Remember this ride was designed in house by hand.

I read it as there was one support structure before the tunnel. Now the will change that so that there will be two different support structures, one for the tunnel/helix entry out of the drop and one for the second run of the helix. In the tunnel, it will remain one structure for both laps.

23 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

I think it's more about how the helix was deigned and the support structure's ability to flex differently for different weighted trains, and they didn't have the technology back then when it was originally built. Remember this ride was designed in house by hand.

I think you're right, the park's engineers have a lot more tools available to them now than when the ride was built.  I think these changes are more to improve structural stability and alleviate stress points.

21 minutes ago, pianojohn said:

ince I'm home with COVID now, I have nothing but time!
I have started transferring old video tapes to digital format.

Here is one I shot at Kings Island in May 2000 right after Son of Beast opened. There are 3 defunct coasters in this video: Son of Beast, King Cobra, and Vortex.

Enjoy!

Four maybe...it looks like the red side of Racer was running backwards.

Either way, very nice!  I look forward to more.

• 5 weeks later...

In case anyone missed it they finally announced CoasterStock date last week. May 20-21, sale date to be announced soon. Although it is more like sale 15 minutes since that's how fast it usually sells out.