TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

On 10/27/2021 at 7:40 PM, PKI Jizzman said:

That's a bit strange for AE. This year is its 30th anniversary and it already looks better than ever with updated lighting and theming. 

I'm so torn on how to spend my last day at KI this season - Friday night looks to be rainy and cold, the same as last Friday's forecast and it was still packed. Saturday I'm not sure if it's even worth spending for FL to go, and Sunday, the last day before winterfest looks like the best day, but it's also Halloween and could be packed as well.

I know I'm a little late to respond to this, but last Friday really wasn't bad at all. We rode Orion, Diamondback, and Mystic Timbers twice, and Banshee and Beast once. The longest wait was 45 minutes for Beast, and that was waiting extra for the front. Our second ride on MT, at night was around 40 minutes, and the night's final ride, our second on Orion, was around 35. All the other waits were around 15 minutes, or less, and we rode front on Orion, Diamondback, and Banshee. We also basically walked into the Kill Mart Haunt Maze without a wait. Sure, it was busier than our previous Friday night Haunt experiences, but nothing like what I've been hearing about other nights, and it was certainly not bad to do without a Fast Lane. In fact, my kids said afterward it was their favorite night of going to Haunt yet! We also stopped in for an hour Saturday when the park opened, and got three more rides in, one each on Orion, Diamondback, and Mystic Timbers. So we really had a great visit of minimal waits, and maximum fun!

I was going to do a more fully fleshed out TR, but as usual, I never got around to it, so I guess this is kind of it! lol I will say, aside from the rides, just how much we love the Brewhouse to eat there at KI! The food was excellent that we ate, and I didn't even have any of their delicious looking drinks this time around! Love that place, and I'm pretty sure it'll be a stop every time we go at this point!

After our experience at KI last year was the worst Amusement Park experience of my life, this was a very refreshing, and welcome return to the excellence I'm used to, at what is fast threatening to become my favorite park! I can't wait to return in the Spring of next year, and bring my youngest child, who hasn't been yet, as he is already a little enthusiast at 7, and he will love it! Hopefully he has a growth spurt, and can get on all the B&M's!

Here are some pictures of our foggy, and fantastic trip!

20211022_181909.thumb.jpg.21d78b031def5146d2f709d64a16629c.jpg20211022_185519.thumb.jpg.4a026b111deec7bde013d8753a586e2a.jpg20211022_194146.thumb.jpg.3619984e85defc70408357597f9c3713.jpg20211022_195426.thumb.jpg.8129de4dfd7add5907578ca94d815bd9.jpg20211022_233620.thumb.jpg.45aca94222830c23ac1697e4934291bb.jpg20211023_003433.thumb.jpg.601692f18127e8c21b8d5dfe8b1427cb.jpg

• Like 2

I visited the last day of the park's normal operating season for Halloween and had a pretty fantastic day. It wasn't too busy, coasters traded lines but I don't think anyone got above 30-45 minutes. 

I tried Coney Island BBQ for the first time since it didn't have a line and I believe BBQ is the biggest chance for quality food at a theme park. This is the best Cedar Fair meal I've had ( I know it's not a high bar) but it was way better than any food I've had from Harmony Hall, CGA, CP. 

I recently watched Canobie's review of Banshee and it's absolutely right that your experience will depend on the train; I really don't want to be in the details that much to get a good ride, but I experienced it myself. The Teal train was awful, and the other two were fine. Banshee has been running really well overall this year and even with cold temps, it delivered a good experience. 

As mentioned above, the Madame Fatale's Haunt is turned into a kids escape room type of mystery during the daytime. The Haunt stuff is barely covered up so it was pretty hilarious to see kids trying to match shapes while surrounded by gruesome heads, legs, body parts, decorations of the maze, haha.

The leaves are really falling down in Cincy now, so, I felt brave and tried Beast back car non wheel seat in order to not get blasted by falling leaves in the front row. I had a great ride! Day or night it's a fun, but aggressive ride. I had some really bad rides on wheel seats during 2020's row assigning days, but I'm not ready to try a wheel seat until I see serious track work or new trains. These older PTC trains aren't friendly to taller people, they really squeeze you in the seat, and that lap bar can dig into your middle. Curious to see how the Beast runs in 2022. 

Can we please stop the trend of painting rides while the season is still ongoing? Drop Tower closed early for painting, which is a bummer. I really seems that Drop Tower loses reliability every year - it is 23 years old now. Either wind or maintenance, I rarely get to ride when I visit and this time it was because they closed it a couple weeks before the off season. Lame. 

Delirium will turn 20 next season and this ride just doesn't have the allure it used to. It really feels like it struggles to make it up to the highest point, which you hit twice? It doesn't seem to have the airtime or power it used to have. MaxAir didn't operate at all this season, hmm. 

Orion front row night rides, wow. That was a ton of fun. 

It was great getting to re-ride Fury the other week - these two coasters are so much fun, and they are different. I've had rides on both where the trim hits hard and where the trim doesn't seem to make an impact at all. I still feel that Fury seems so much more massive, and I definitely prefer the low to the ground elements. I'm very glad that Orion is at Kings Island the the whole Area 72 looks awesome. 

Overall 2021 at KI was a lot of fun, but the crowds definitely showed up. But that was the case at seemingly every park in America this year. I've never purchased FL more than this season, but each day I bought FL I stayed almost all day, and had ERT on whatever I wanted. It was *so nice* being able to meet up with friends/new friends this year, part of the reason I was happy to buy FL and join in on the fun! 

The park's 50th Anniversary is next year and I anticipate they will be doing a lot of the same events/celebrations/games CP did for 150. I'm very curious to see what direction Action Zone will be heading in the few years - Drop Tower getting a repaint, Invertigo & Congo Falls may be coming to an end, SOB's old station still needs to be taken down, and are they going to keep the stadium they rarely use back there? 

Area 72 is featuring some new details - both pictures and videos. It's likely just theming, but KI is known to tease a bit and have fun with enthusiasts. I am hoping they continue to improve that area. 

20211031_120517.thumb.jpg.cc60c82e20ad37b47e2cec189200ed0f.jpg

What is ATLAS up to? Interesting paranormal hot spots....

20211031_121541.thumb.jpg.b0861901928d4401fd5ae6d7ea2a454c.jpg

Fast lift, fast drop, fast ops, fast everything. 

20211031_121523.thumb.jpg.a165ef8ed99656f082cc745af3203dfb.jpg

My favorite moment on Orion. Yes please more sideways airtime, B&M

20211031_123435.thumb.jpg.ab4af4f8d3a85e724e2086d2bc668661.jpg

Beast in the fall, ahhhh a sign of the seasons changing. 

20211031_140025.thumb.jpg.83194a3dfefc2dc74502cd2ab56e8039.jpg

Another B&M hyper that has a great zero gravity first half, and then the MCBR ruins it. 

20211031_155026.thumb.jpg.5a1424decde4f3011129de1b256f3fc4.jpg

Adventure Express and I turned 30 this year! It looks better than ever!

20211031_184228.thumb.jpg.96c2dcc846fdfb6683043652f5c3a585.jpg

20211031_184234.thumb.jpg.468da555e5a6d6ac9aaa38559913e18a.jpg

20211031_191936.thumb.jpg.06f13d7bedd4cd3726bdad8a1a5f3aec.jpg

The lighting package is simple, but effective! Night time rides on Orion are insane! 

20211031_193208.thumb.jpg.c4767d91553201d4e4a871390f37aec5.jpg

Banshee was running so well and without anyone in line, so I ended the year with 3 laps on Banshee. And of course I had a shitty bumpy ride in the front row to end the season, haha. Could it be specific trains that are bad or does it run poorly when half empty/empty? You decide!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 8:08 PM, PKI Jizzman said:

Banshee was running so well and without anyone in line, so I ended the year with 3 laps on Banshee. And of course I had a shitty bumpy ride in the front row to end the season, haha. Could it be specific trains that are bad or does it run poorly when half empty/empty? You decide!

I have the very same feeling for every B&M invert I've ever ridden. Empty trains plus front row is a no-no.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 8:34 AM, Pedrinho said:

I have the very same feeling for every B&M invert I've ever ridden. Empty trains plus front row is a no-no.

This is a new one for me, not gonna lie. Other than Banshee I don’t think I’ve ever been on a B&M invert that wasn’t butter smooth even on empty trains (other than a few Raptor jolts that I’ve come to love).

With Banshee, it just depends on the day. We had an incredible back row ride this year, but in the past whenever I’ve been put back there it’s been pretty jackhammery. Lol

I love seeing new paint but I'm surprised Drop Tower is getting the same scheme. I had to look up if that area is still called "action zone" and it still is, for some reason. They need to change the theme, it's already skewing a 'spooky' area with Bat, Banshee, Delerium, and they made Invertigo fit in with new paint. 

On 11/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, coasterbill said:

This is a new one for me, not gonna lie. Other than Banshee I don’t think I’ve ever been on a B&M invert that wasn’t butter smooth even on empty trains (other than a few Raptor jolts that I’ve come to love).

Well.. My Inverted B&Ms were Banshee, Raptor, Monster (or Orochi, the japanese-french Raptor clone) and Black Mamba. Out of these, Black Mamba was the least bumpy (and the slowest). 
As soon as trains are balanced, they aren't shaky. But especially with Banshee, we had our first rides on a rainy tuesday, all walk-ons for the front with barely any other people in the trains. they weren't good. Later that day, as soon as it cleared up and the trains were close to full, the bumpiness faded away. 

Lots of The Beast retracking going on now days.  Part of the big helix is completely missing.  First drop is basically gone at the moment.  Good to see them putting some work in.  Some good pics on reddit.

I've ridden Beast in 2015 and 2021 and I didn't really notice a difference between the two years. I don't mind the roughness, I don't think its too much! I did ride with my non coaster enthusiast friend this year though, and he labeled it "the world roller coaster ever". Some smoothing out should help out with people like that, which is the majority

It has certainly had its ups and downs the past few years, and I've experienced some rides as bad as when the coaster was in its worst shape with Paramount (imo) making me legit nauseous, and only backwards Batman has accomplished that in my life time. 

I'm confident that KI truly wants it running really well for the 50th anny season, glad they are spending $ to make it happen.

if you follow Heightened Imagery on Facebook (he does drone photographs from Kings Island mainly, and it's a really cool page).

he posted this yesterday:

261387745_443517163957912_84927278142192

do they typically take the coaster down to the footers for routine maintenance?  

this looks to me like some replacement/retrack work is happening here, no?

1 minute ago, bert425 said:

if you follow Heightened Imagery on Facebook (he does drone photographs from Kings Island mainly, and it's a really cool page.

If they've gotta get equipment that wont fit through the access tunnel into the infield of the coaster, then yeah they can take it all the way down.  That looks like a lot though, and all the better.  While downright fun in the front row (it is still my #1 wood after all), other rows, especially wheel seats, can be brutal.

So long as they're not changing the layout or RMC'ing the thing, I'll be content. :D

• Like 2

Well we have never had those drone photos to see what's going on every off season, that account is pretty new so it's cool to see those photos. It's encouraging to say the least, but KI is constantly giving Beast attention. I'm hoping it will run as good as it can for the 50th anny.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 4:34 AM, bert425 said:

if you follow Heightened Imagery on Facebook (he does drone photographs from Kings Island mainly, and it's a really cool page).

I'm a little late to the party and the link seems to be expired. 

Does anyone have the photo on hand? The Google did nothing to please me here. :)