TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Fast Lane is a wristband, Fright Lane is a card on a lanyard that they (should) punch a hole in at each maze.

5 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I was looking around on the website and couldn't find a fastlane/fright lane combo. Do you have to buy them both separately, now?

Sorry man only separate. Unless you want to marathon the mazes, and I suggest you don't as most are shit, just focus on Kill Mart and Madam Fatale's and do those at opening. Pocket the fright lane for more beer $

Just arrived a few mins ago, but have noticed on Queue Times that Beast has been down the whole night. Hoping it's nothing big and it's open tomorrow. Anyone have any intel?

38 minutes ago, Zand said:

Just arrived a few mins ago, but have noticed on Queue Times that Beast has been down the whole night. Hoping it's nothing big and it's open tomorrow. Anyone have any intel?

Idk anything but it's had issues this year. I was there 2 weeks ago and didn't ride but also didn't see it running when I was in the area around 630-730. 

It has had some emergency repairs on the track for reasons we don't know but after the wonderful results of the Gravity Group refurbishment on Racer hopefully the park invests on a full Beast refurbishment GG pre fab style. Maybe kill some brakes as a wish..

Queue times said Beast opened around 11:20 and immediately pulled a 30 minute line. Glad there's nothing catastrophically wrong with it.

Arrived at the crack of 11 to a mobbed but slowly emptying park. Have wristbands for tomorrow so figured I'd pop in tonight and ride a couple coasters. Hit Mystic Timbers with a 45 minute wait, then hit Diamondback with about a 5 minute wait on the way out. 

It was my first time at a non Six Flags park (or Lake Compounce) for a Halloween event and...yeah what a difference. Great atmosphere in the park. Pumped for tomorrow.

80* and sunny this weekend, it's going to be amazing....but very busy! And all of Green Bay is in town for Pack v Bengals tomorrow, UC already played, most high schools played last night, and I've noted there's not as many independent haunted houses around anymore. 

This place is officially bullshit busy. Worst part is trying to get something to eat without standing in an hour line. Ended up breaking down and getting in the Chicken Shack line which is about 40 minutes.

Wristbands have definitely helped, although even those haven't been without lines. Diamondback was 35 minutes with fastlane at 3:30 (standby was 2 hours). Mystic Timbers and Beast were a little quicker. Orion was down for a while but I caught the first train when it came back up. Grabbed rides on Racer, Adv Express, and Drop Tower as well. 

Nightfall is here so will spend the next 4 hours riding as much as I can!

Fastlane saved the night tonight for sure. I couldn't believe how crowded the park got...most midways were so full of people you couldn't move. After dinner I hit Banshee which had a pretty full line but walked right up fastlane and right to the front row. I love this thing...my favorite invert and the night ride was even more insane. Feeling the temp changes was really neat.

Around 8:30 I started a loop around the park as most major coasters were showing 2-3 hr standby lines. First up was Orion, which had both the fastlane and standby lines full to the entrance. Fastlane took 30 minutes, greeter was telling people 3:15 for standby. Ended up in row 2. Real fun at night. Love that speed hill and the 2nd to last airtime hill. Just wish it was longer, no brake run should be 100 feet high.

Headed back to Windseeker which had a standby line stretching back almost to Troika but not a soul in the fastlane line. Awesome view and I feel like this one spins faster than others at the top.

Next up was Beast which had a line spilling out the entrance and posted at 2:45. Even the fastlane was beyond the split with the exit line. Took over 30 minutes but still saved a lot of time. Rode in front and got my first night Beast ride in 14 years. Absolutely love it. The first half is like Blair Witch Project: The Ride. Then that damn helix is unreal at night when you can't see it and can't anticipate when you're going to slam into it.

Headed over to the best standup coaster in the world...Mystic Timbers. Got two rides in 10 minutes as there was 0 line for the fastlane despite 1:30 for the standby line. The airtime on this thing is mental and some of the sharp turns catch you off guard at night. To have these two woodies in the same park as 3 top tier B&Ms should be illegal. Too much greatness in one park.

Finished up with Diamondback and a front seat ride. Almost as good as Nightro, but nothing beats 20 degree rides on Nitro in January. This definitely has the better ejector air of the two, especially in front. The camelbacks just launch you into outer space.

Was time to head out by then, but scored a Boo Blasters ride on the way by just before closing. This park is already pretty special as it is, but when the sun goes down it's just the best. Some parks have a designated night ride that you always need to finish the day on. This place has 6. And now that Boulder Dash sucks, the Beast can reclaim its crown as the best night coaster on earth.

Only thing I didn't get to that I wanted to was Bat. Theres no fastlane access for it. I actually went to get in line for it as Queue Times said 45 minutes, but I knew it would be longer when I only had to walk 45 seconds to find the back of the line. 

Heading to Strickers Grove tomorrow at 1 then coming back for a few hours. Only open till 8 so will only have time for one fully dark ride to wrap up the trip. There's only one candidate for which ride that will be.

• Like 2

I'm heading down this Friday night, so I'm hoping things are more reasonable on a Friday night, as they've been in years past. Everything is a bit different now though, so who knows. I guess we'll see! It's my girlfriend's first ever time at KI, let alone Haunt, so I hope it's a great experience for her, as it's always been for me!

I saw some pictures from Saturday. Holy shit. Hey I did try to warn people! That's unheard of for it to be *that* busy that FL is that bad. Wow wow wow. Just the perfect recipe of weather, no other big events, and everyone within a 100 mile radius of KI has a pass.

22 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Do they still have food trucks in front of the tower, at night? They did last time we were there.

They have 4 of them there. Of course I totally forgot about them Saturday night when searching for food. Instead I walked by Miami River Brewhouse which had a line past Mystic Timbers, then by Hanks which had a line across the midway, then tried Panda Express but there was a line AROUND the outside of Festhaus to get in, and finally settled on Chicken Shack which also had a big line but I was done soul searching lol.

Anyway, Sunday report which ended up being the day of the woodies. No, I didnt fly out to Dennis Hof's mansion, but I did take the side trip out to Strickers Grove which was really cool and I recommend to anyone who is in thr area on a day they are open. I didn't experience any wild ejector on Tornado, but its still a solid smaller wooden coaster that looks great. Teddy Bear was adorable and ran really well. I would've loved to have reridden Tornado a few times but Strickers drew a huge crowd sunday, with most rides having lines of 20-30 minutes! I didn't end up checking out any flats but they have a pretty solid lineup of old school flats. But $15 for rides, mini golf, free soda, cotton candy, popcorn, and slushies was really awesome. The grill food was great and inexpensive as well. Like I said, check it out if you're ever at KI and they're open. It's only 30 minutes away and worth the admission just for the 2 classic coasters alone.

Anyway, we had such a great time at Strickers that it was almost 5 by the time we got back to KI. The park was busy again Sunday, and my main goal was to close the day out on Beast and just hit whatever I came to before that. After grabbing a beer at the Festhaus and watching a couple shows, we got in line for Mystic Timbers. Only 35 minutes, but wouldve been shorter if it werent for the lousy grouper who was very slow loading rows and routinely sending 2-3 rows out empty. Encountered a few of these this weekend and I know a lot of these people are new, but damn. Anyway, the ride was great until the ride broke down while we were stuck in the shed. Lights came on and the ride ops came around to "keep everyone company". It was quite hot in there and it was nice when we finally pulled out.

After the shed experience we grabbed a couple beers at the Brewhouse and sat on the deck in the Adirondack chairs, such an awesome spot! By then it was pushing 6:30 so I went to check out the Diamondback line which was over an hour. Checked the app and saw Orion had just reopened from a breakdown so went over there to check that out. Only 6 switchbacks were full so I got in even though I didnt have long before I had to head to Beast. After 20 minutes we had made it through 2 switchbacks. I was thinking to myself that if we were at Great Adventure that line would never stop moving, but here they were stacking the 3rd train like it was going out of style. At 7:30 I finally gave up and headed for Beast.

Turned out to be a great idea as even though the app said an hour wait, it ended up being 15 minutes and I got 2 rides! The 2nd was in a wheel seat near the back and damn was that brutal. Night and day compared to the middle seats. But still an awesome way to wrap up the weekend. 

Unfortunately the trip was over as for some reason KI closed at 8 the day before a holiday (GADV was open till midnight and even Cedar Point, who couldn't even stay open earlier in the summer, was open till 10). Despite the crowds it was a terrific weekend and looking forward to returning hopefully next year.

Here's a few Saturday crowd pics.

1009212040.thumb.jpg.94dbef58c41e165ab9a06743f79cb4a4.jpg

1009212146.thumb.jpg.3553fe0ac83025e9dada484ee2fd1fc7.jpg

Glad you found the front of Diamondback! My favorite seat is row 2 in those long B&M trains. Fun hang time at the drop and then the air up and over the hills is better than the pull in the back in my opinion. 

I also got stuck in the shed for 30 minutes and it sucked, but they did walk me thru FL as a reward when it was fixed, did they get you back? 

I'll never willingly ride Beast on a wheel seat 🤣 COVID protocols forced me to last year and it was so bad I felt ill. One of the worst rides I've ever had on it. Front seat or nothing!

• Like 1

No presents from being stuck on Mystic Timbers...was kinda hoping for a one use Fastlane but no dice. Guess 15 minutes wasn't quite enough lol.

Two of my Beast rides were middle rows (8 and 14 I think) and they were great rides, no discomfort at all. Then I ended up in row 15 (last row available for that load...guess I should've held out for the front) on the last ride and every turn felt like it was going to jar my bones apart. The first half was so bad that I was dreading being alive the whole drop into the helix but that section ended up not being so bad lol. The general public still loves the ride and it still draws big lines so who knows if it will get any work. But a nice retracking would be great and really make it rerideable in any row.

The one missing piece for Kings Island is for RMC to show up and build Grandson of Beast 😆

One hour after opening. On a Friday. Where the forecast was for constant rain and thunderstorms all night (until like 3 hours before opening when it changed). Yowch. As always, glad for the all season FL+ and Fright Lane for tonight.

Screenshot_20211015-190846.thumb.png.fc252af090cd904f3245d7915a794081.png

You'll have to let me know how crowds are tomorrow. If it's anything like last Saturday, you should see if your FL+ comes with a fullback to help you get from ride to ride.

This is from 8:45 last Saturday...

Screenshot_20211009-204831.thumb.png.080e3b3b9fdb626d5208d01b53039447.png

@Zandwow. Yeah my plan for tonight was to take care of the Haunt stuff, which I did successfully, and grab some night rides on Beast and whatever else I felt like (which turned out to be Bat and Banshee). My goal for tomorrow day is to hit all the rides I want, then at night grab whatever more night rides that I can. I just left the park to go back to my hotel (10:00 PM), since I've been up since 6:30 AM and am tired from the 9 hour drive. 

We bailed on going down due to the weather forecast. It's way too far to risk having extended shutdowns due to rain and thunderstorms. Those line times are disheartening, all things considered, but it's just the way it is right now, and I'm old enough to remember when waiting in line was just a part of the amusement park experience, and people didn't freak out over it. We're going to try again next Friday, and hope for better weather! Can't miss Haunt at Kings Island, no matter what!