Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

I was passing through the area and stopped in for a quick 4 ride trip, Orion, the beast, Mystic timbers and diamond back and left since we didn't have much time but Orion was an absolute blast.

Really don't understand the complaining about Orion that I've seen by some people. We sat in the front row and it was so much damn fun. I would love to have this ride closer to me, felt like it was something you can ride a bunch in one day and not get tired of it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a new position at work. Despite it involving weekends off, it also has the drawback of being on-call... indefinitely. A meetup won't be easy for me.

As far as Orion, I think we've heard far less complaints about it this year than we did last. It's been getting a lot of praise. I'm convinced the full trains have something to do with it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't pay any attention to the Racer project but can someone explain what makes Gravity Groups prefab wooden track different/innovative compared to the Prefab wooden track Intamin innovated two decades ago? 🤣 🙄

(also, screw the GTA, their picks for top coasters is mostly laughable, as always. Candymonium in the top 5? GTFOH. And MF... still? The Beast over every RMC? lmfao)
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because it was used at Kings Island, and anything done at KI/CP/Dollywood/Disney/Universal, etc. pretty much instantly becomes favorite to win these types of awards by default...

Couldn't agree more about Candymonium at #5...I wonder if that ride is about to become a bit of a meme over the next few days/weeks, kind of like all the "Millennium Forceless" stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Booked a KI trip for Columbus Day weekend. Flying from Hartford to (ironically) Columbus Friday night via Breeze Airlines for the first time. Not sure who in their right mind decided  scheduling flights between Hartford and Columbus was a good idea but they're cheap and I'm not complaining. Should be at the park in time for a couple night rides before the midnight closing. Have all day Sat and Sun. Will splurge for a FL+ on Saturday. $125 but I think I'm gonna need it (UNLESS...if anyone here can confidently tell me that the lines might die down after sunset due to people all heading for the haunted mazes). Sunday will be more leisurely, will probably watch football at the bars and hit short lines as I come to them. Then flying back on Monday.

Feels weird to spend this much time and money to go to one park, especially one that I've already been to this year, but after the spring trip I've been dying to get back for night rides and I've heard their Haunt is one of the better ones.  Feels even weirder going to Ohio and not going to Cedar Point, but honestly I don't even care. Thought about maybe running down to Kentucky Kingdom on Sunday but unfortunately they close this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Zand said:

Booked a KI trip for Columbus Day weekend. Flying from Hartford to (ironically) Columbus Friday night via Breeze Airlines for the first time. Not sure who in their right mind decided  scheduling flights between Hartford and Columbus was a good idea but they're cheap and I'm not complaining. Should be at the park in time for a couple night rides before the midnight closing. Have all day Sat and Sun. Will splurge for a FL+ on Saturday. $125 but I think I'm gonna need it (UNLESS...if anyone here can confidently tell me that the lines might die down after sunset due to people all heading for the haunted mazes). Sunday will be more leisurely, will probably watch football at the bars and hit short lines as I come to them. Then flying back on Monday.

Feels weird to spend this much time and money to go to one park, especially one that I've already been to this year, but after the spring trip I've been dying to get back for night rides and I've heard their Haunt is one of the better ones.  Feels even weirder going to Ohio and not going to Cedar Point, but honestly I don't even care. Thought about maybe running down to Kentucky Kingdom on Sunday but unfortunately they close this weekend.

So all I have to go on for 2021 is my experience at CP's Haunt last weekend, and there, yes after like 10 most of the ride lines died down.  Personally that's not late enough for me to not have the Fast Lane Plus.  Before then, the some crowds would see the 2 hour waits for the mazes and say "Screw it, let's do some rides instead."

KI's Haunt historically has been pretty good, just know that it's limited this year to only 5 mazes (typically there are 7-9), and if you have any interest in them you will want the Fright Lane pass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KI haunt is sooooo good didn't you see they won BEST HALLOWEEN EVENT in America (thanks USA Today, you 🤡) before the event even started? 

Honestly it's a good time, KI actually puts time and effort into make up instead of masks which is great, but the houses are usually on the short side. For a Saturday, the park is open so long, it's easy to justify a FL+. It's barely $10 an hour to ride whatever you want when you want. Even as a local I'd never go without it on a Saturday. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

KI haunt is sooooo good didn't you see they won BEST HALLOWEEN EVENT in America (thanks USA Today, you 🤡) before the event even started? 

Honestly it's a good time, KI actually puts time and effort into make up instead of masks which is great, but the houses are usually on the short side. For a Saturday, the park is open so long, it's easy to justify a FL+. It's barely $10 an hour to ride whatever you want when you want. Even as a local I'd never go without it on a Saturday. 

That and KI's Fast Lane is the best I've ever seen.  Almost every single ride that's on it, the FL line dumps you right into the station.  No stupid merge points before stairwells or before stupid phone lockers and then 25 minutes of combined queue after it *cough-CP-cough-KD-cough.*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, Zand said:

Feels weird to spend this much time and money to go to one park, especially one that I've already been to this year, but after the spring trip I've been dying to get back for night rides and I've heard their Haunt is one of the better ones.  Feels even weirder going to Ohio and not going to Cedar Point, but honestly I don't even care. Thought about maybe running down to Kentucky Kingdom on Sunday but unfortunately they close this weekend.

I can't seem to find confirmation on their website, but Stricker's Grove is typically open to the public on the Sunday of Columbus day weekend. The random ejector hill on Tornado would be well worth the mid-day break form KI.

As for FLP...get it! You will not regret it on a Saturday.

Hit Cavern of Terror right when it opens, as that line gets insane. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the Strickers Grove recommendation, definitely considering popping in there! Haven't really heard much about their coaster but random ejector hill sounds good to me!

Not really planning on hitting any Haunt stuff at KI, primarily there for the night rides on...well...almost everything. So haunts would cut into the night time riding. If I happen upon a short line for a haunt, sure, but otherwise I'm okay not hitting any of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at Stricker's Grove this past Labor Day, and that ejector moment on Tornado was pretty legit.  Maybe not quite on the level of something like the double down on Jack Rabbit or the second drop on Camden Park's Big Dipper, but still strong enough to catch me off guard.  Teddy Bear is worth a ride as well, and the free soft drinks and cheap food definitely make it worth stopping by for an hour or two IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

I was at Stricker's Grove this past Labor Day, and that ejector moment on Tornado was pretty legit.  Maybe not quite on the level of something like the double down on Jack Rabbit or the second drop on Camden Park's Big Dipper, but still strong enough to catch me off guard.  Teddy Bear is worth a ride as well, and the free soft drinks and cheap food definitely make it worth stopping by for an hour or two IMO.

Hell yeah, glad to hear! Yeah totally agree, not Jack Rabbit more so a 'homemade' little pop up then bounce you off your ass ejector pop!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a fun quick visit to KI on Friday since I'll be out of town the next 2 weekends. Goal was to beat the crowds for the first hour, see how busy it would get since the opening night of Haunt was the same beautiful weather and most coasters were 15-20 minutes or less.

Got up to KI around 530, they had already opened parking and it was already looking a bit busy. They were holding everyone at the front fountains, brought out monsters at 6pm, and the park opened to wherever you wanted to go. 

By the time I got to Orion it was a 5 minute wait and the scare actors next door at CHAOS Labs were begging for someone to choose their Haunt over Orion, so I decided to be the first experiment. I went through this one twice since I couldn't believe how bad it was the first time. It was really just smoke and mirrors and actors in lab coats. This building has had some good haunts in the past - the board game one comes to mind. Skip this one.

As tempting as Orion was I wanted to see how the popular Kill Mart was doing to I made my way down there to find another 0 minute wait. Despite only a dozen people in line, they were trying to get huge conga line going but I slowed my walk down to give some space. If you can get some space, the Haunt will generally be so much better. This was a big step up from CHAOS and Kill Mart was just as fun as I remembered. There's not a scene that isn't covered wall to wall with different department + zombie decorations. Check this one out. 

Slaughterhouse was next as I made my way around the park, and this one just doesn't seem as good since it was moved from the previous spot in Action Zone across from Banshee. I guess it's just easy to bring this one back year after year, it's pretty tired, especially if you remember the old gems - Trail of Terror that want back beyond Orion and the old Dino Alive, Massacre Manor. Maybe we can get the Paranormal show from Knott's here next year. 

Madame Fatale's Cavern of Terror is your chance to explore the old Tomb Raider The Ride building. This Haunt I hope keeps going as long as the building still stands. It's packed with scare actors, there's awesome detail in each room, it's fairly long, and you can still see the details of the theming inside from TR:TR. This one is missing a good finale, but I'll let it slide. Easily the best haunt and most unique at KI. Don't miss it. 

It was about 715 at this point, I didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes for a haunt and they aren't too long so  the crowds were still filling into KI. Diamondback was my last stop of the night and I waited 5 minutes for a great ride as always. 

So for 90 minutes at opening I was able to get a lot done! Had I waited 20 minutes for Orion at the start the haunt lines would have probably filled up a bit more. 

20211001_182410.jpg

20211001_182447.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I was looking around on the website and couldn't find a fastlane/fright lane combo. Do you have to buy them both separately, now?

Yeah, they're separate purchases, and always have been, though they may have offered a package deal in the past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/