TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

The more days KI hits capacity, the less days we have to wait for that modern multilooper filling Vortex's giant dirt plot... right?

• Like 6

Sounds like Kings Island had to close some lines off early yesterday as well.  Also seeing several posts online about a lot of fighting amongst the crowds yesterday. 

Maybe it actually is worth stopping by the park one of these next few weeks, just to catch some of this can't-miss drama :D 

Edit: Here's a quick news article about it.

4 hours ago, dankeykang said:

Sounds like Kings Island had to close some lines off early yesterday as well.  Also seeing several posts online about a lot of fighting amongst the crowds yesterday. 

Maybe it actually is worth stopping by the park one of these next few weeks, just to catch some of this can't-miss drama :D 

Edit: Here's a quick news article about it.

This sounds more like Great Adventure in Jersey than K.I. That's especially true on a Saturday afternoon back by Nitro. Lot's of line jumping...

So now that my aforementioned trip got kinda flip-flopped, what shoulf I expect crowd wise on the Tuesday and Wednesday after Memorial Day? Hoping not to have to buy Fastlane now if crowds are projected to be light enough. Bummed to be missing 10 pm closings for night rides.

Also, probably going to the Wednesday Reds game instead. Also a day game. Lol

"They did respond to these calls and noone was arrested."

Thank God. I'm glad the other paying customers were able to cooperate and cut their nights short to make sure the troublemakers causing a dangerous volatile environment left. We need to all step up and cater to the violence.

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

"They did respond to these calls and noone was arrested."

Thank God. I'm glad the other paying customers were able to cooperate and cut their nights short to make sure the troublemakers causing a dangerous volatile environment left. We need to all step up and cater to the violence.

They need to start requiring adult supervision for anyone under 21, clearly they can't behave. At least then maybe the adults can be arrested for their kid's actions. Ban them all to, and actually hire more guards and actual law enforcement to patrol more. If anyone should be getting more per hour it's the security teams.

On 5/24/2021 at 2:36 PM, CNYCoasterguy11 said:

They need to start requiring adult supervision for anyone under 21, clearly they can't behave. At least then maybe the adults can be arrested for their kid's actions. Ban them all to, and actually hire more guards and actual law enforcement to patrol more. If anyone should be getting more per hour it's the security teams.

This is all a bit of an overreaction.

I'm assuming that the reason Kentucky Kingdom's rule only applies to people under the age of 16 is that they're hiring 16-year-olds to run their rides on their employment page as we speak. They do have some positions for 14-year olds but not many of them seem to be unfilled on the website and they don't seem to be as desperate for staff as Cedar Fair parks are.

It would be a weird look to tell people that they don't trust 16-year-olds to go to the park without starting a riot but they 100% trust them to operate multi-million-dollar rides full of guests safely without killing anyone / handle guests money / work in guest-facing positions all day. Also, "Free admission to the park on your days off." is the first benefit listed on their employment page. Since working there offers no real benefits whatsoever aside from that and "cheap pizza and soda", there's nothing they can do about that and every theme park would be in the same boat. Kings Island hires 14 year olds also and once again, the only "benefits" are "Come to the park for free". Sure, they would probably make exceptions for their employees but "No benefits, you can't hang out with any of your friends here on your days off but you can buy soda for a dollar and ride the Beast by yourself" is not going to get you a ton of takers when you're more desperate for employees than you've ever been in the entire history of the park / chain.

There's not a simple solution here. I'm assuming they'll bring in some more security for awhile and that will be the end of it.

• Like 1

So it seems that I have inadvertently booked a trip (my first, yay!) to KI that happens to be during Coasterstock. Any idea how big Coasterstock has been in the past? Big enough to fill up Fast Lane queues during regular hours? I know this year everything is a little different, so I guess I'll be planning for Fast Lane either way now...

5 hours ago, josephcissell said:

So it seems that I have inadvertently booked a trip (my first, yay!) to KI that happens to be during Coasterstock. Any idea how big Coasterstock has been in the past? Big enough to fill up Fast Lane queues during regular hours? I know this year everything is a little different, so I guess I'll be planning for Fast Lane either way now...

I want to say that at the last Coasterstock in 2019 they had in the neighborhood of 500 people. But I am not sure where I got that number, someone else might be able to confirm or tell me if I am way off base. As far as the attendees influencing the FL lines...........many will not get FL because you get to go on every coaster at some point during ert over the two days and many will use the afternoons to leave the park and take a break; on the other hand it will be in July for the first time and I am guessing park attendance will be high along with all the extra Coasterstock people. So the answer to the FL question is the same as any other day. If you want every coaster and re rides and have the money get them it will be worth it. If you have multiple days and are satisfied with whatever you get and/or cannot afford it, don't get them. I really don't think Coasterstock is the influencer on FL.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

Great news from Cedar Fair!

... kidding, obviously

Untitled.thumb.jpg.4a629fa12c3b1ef91d60e8d457f938f2.jpg

You just scared the sh*t out of me lol. 

This is a better alternative than the one their neighbors to the north settled on.

Posted (edited)

So much for the famous Beast night rides I was planning on. Not a shocker. I am glad they are doing it for the "best possible experience". Nice spin, Cedar Fair 🙄

Edited by anonymouscactus
Whenever I type BEAST it comes up as BREAST

Did they actually reduce hours during June?  It looks like July is still 10 PM closures all month but I honestly can't remember what the June hours were before this update.

Nah, as was stated, this Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday and every Saturday through the end of June were 10PM closures.

44 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Oof guess no Beast night rides for me. Glad I got one before at least. 

You're really not having much luck with this trip. Sorry man :( I love the night rides at this park so the shortened hours would be a big blow if I was planning to visit these days. But as mentioned above, at least they're not removing days from the calendar!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jonskinny12 said:

You're really not having much luck with this trip. Sorry man :( I love the night rides at this park so the shortened hours would be a big blow if I was planning to visit these days. But as mentioned above, at least they're not removing days from the calendar!

Hm? How so? This trip hasn’t started yet and well that is a little unfortunate but It’s ok! I had one before. I’d be a little more bummed if I haven’t! It’s like I said in some other thread I’m trying to be pretty understanding things are not completely back to normal yet so we have to be open minded that things won’t be totally ideal. I’m still looking forward to it personally, I really enjoyed Kings Island and I have been wanting to get back! And yeah exactly I will gladly take two hours shorter than the whole day being pulled, esp since it’s a weekday and we saw what CP did. Deff counting my blessings on that one. 

18 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Hm? How so? This trip hasn’t started yet and well that is a little unfortunate but It’s ok! I had one before. I’d be a little more bummed if I haven’t! It’s like I said in some other thread I’m trying to be pretty understanding things are not completely back to normal yet so we have to be open minded that things won’t be totally ideal. I’m still looking forward to it personally, I really enjoyed Kings Island and I have been wanting to get back! And yeah exactly I will gladly take two hours shorter than the whole day being pulled, esp since it’s a weekday and we saw what CP did. Deff counting my blessings on that one. 

My mistake. I lurk a lot of threads lol and I thought you already had some unfortunate timing with Kings Dominion, Kennywood, and Cedar Point. I guess I assumed they were all part of the same trip. I like your positive attitude though!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jonskinny12 said:

My mistake. I lurk a lot of threads lol and I thought you already had some unfortunate timing with Kings Dominion, Kennywood, and Cedar Point. I guess I assumed they were all part of the same trip. I like your positive attitude though!

Ah nah all good I don’t come here too regularly so I machine gun post lol Yeah Phantoms is possibly down (but word is it will be up soon) and I305 was down but those are indeed a different trip. I needed a break between the coastering LOL And yeah I definitely am looking forward to the Kings Island I really wasn’t sure what to expect but I found it a wonderful place and it had some of the best ops I’ve ever seen. I’m banking that the park will again not be too crowded when I go on a weekday. 

• Like 2