TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

It sold out for today so you did the right thing!

Best $95 I have spent in a long time!

I have two more things to add from my visit. First, I do not understand why Orion gets so much negativity. I absolutely love it! To me, it’s a high speed “flight” along the edge of Kings Island. It’s so smooth and the elements, at least to me, are unique. Granted it is a bit on the brief side, but it is definitely different enough from Diamondback (which I also love) and has fast become one of my new favorites.

Then there’s Flight of Fear. I haven’t ridden this since 2015 and if it wasn’t for the literal dead stop in the mid course brake (I thought we were going to have to evac as I don’t recall the ride ever completely stopping here), this would be in my Top 3. Who knew that a few colored lights in total darkness is really all you need in that big steel box to make an insanely crazy ride? And even with the dead stop, the train picks up so much speed in second half, it feels like you are going to be ejected into the darkness. I was truly blown away and wish I was in better health to have ridden it a few more times. Damn heart problems!

Living only 80 miles from Cedar Point yet 230 from Kings Island, I am actually becoming more of a KI fan than I ever was before. The ride lineup has become really outstanding over the last decade, the park has been spotless on my two visits this month, the Landscaping puts CP to shame, and no matter how many times I see it, I still love the International Street/Eiffel Tower entry. The visual impact of that when walking through the gates is unmatched by most regional theme parks (Kings Dominion and Canada’s Wonderland excepted). Maybe I need to move a little further south!

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My visit this past weekend was great, even with Saturday being very busy and me missing out on FL until Sunday.    I went into Orion not having followed its construction or watched a POV or even

I went the weekend before last and wasn't going to do any sort of report or review, but with this discussion, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I thought Orion was fantastic.  Millennium Force is th

I guess my tastes in coasters aren't that refined.... it goes 91 miles per hour and has a 300 foot drop. That's cool as sh*t. It also has tons of airtime, it's butter smooth, it hauls ass the entire t

Posted Images

I have to say I rode FoF for the first time in years last week and it was in such great shape rode it again! Front row and back row! Yes the MCBR always halts it to a full stop but that's what makes it different than the others. For the original launch coaster from 1996 wow running so well.

Orion is pretty great, I really enjoy it the more I ride it. I just don't love it like I love Millennium, Fury, I305, or Steel Dragon. And that's okay! It's still awesome.

Kings Island has two executive chefs, who are likely responsible for the increased food quality over the last year or two. But they have really stepped it up this year.

A month or two ago they started doing special dinners on Saturday nights, they start serving at 5PM and stop when they run out of food. The menu is different every week and it is being cooked out in the open at Wishbone Grill on International Street.

This week was Grilled Flank Steak, Chimichurri, Fire Roasted Sweet Peppers, Fried Plantains and Warm Tortilla.

If anyone is at the park on a Saturday night this year I recommend at least checking it out. It’s even on the meal plan.

71FFF284-3D14-410F-8392-3F5E2B98C33C.jpeg.25c734a65715759a44a2990d6c495014.jpeg

Quick question: are Kings Island’s opening procedures the same as they were in July? I remember the parking lot opening at 10:15, park gates opening at 10:30 (or immediately after you park), and the rides open at 11. Any difference from that?

Quick question: are Kings Island’s opening procedures the same as they were in July? I remember the parking lot opening at 10:15, park gates opening at 10:30 (or immediately after you park), and the rides open at 11. Any difference from that?

This is exactly what has happened this season.

Pretty cool, not terribly priced. I'll have to see if any make it to Oct 5th and sold online. While I hated Vortex my nephew loved it for some reason and he just earned his Eagle Scout so this would be a cool little gift for him for that.

How busy is Kings Island now that they are only open Saturdays and Sundays? Would a Fastlane Plus help with lines if it is crowded? I had friends recently go to Cedar Point with a Fastlane Plus and still waited over 2 hours in line for some rides. That is just plain wrong. They are selling too many Fastlane passes (at $95 each) which ruins the whole idea behind the Fastlane Plus. Anybody have this experience at Kings Island? Thanks.

FL will always help with lines, especially at a park like KI where almost all the lines merge at the station.

I have to call some BS on your friends' account of "2 hour Fast Lane waits" at CP though, unless rides broke down. Even at its worst during a normal season, the Fast Lane line for SV barely broke an hour.

People are waiting 2 hours with access passes but not Fastlane. Nobody has Fastlane at CP this year so the few that do are flying onto the rides unless the ride goes down.

Edited by coasterbill
FL will always help with lines, especially at a park like KI where almost all the lines merge at the station.

I have to call some BS on your friends' account of "2 hour Fast Lane waits" at CP though, unless rides broke down. Even at its worst during a normal season, the Fast Lane line for SV barely broke an hour.

I'm with you here, I've been 2 different days with fast lane at CP this year, and it's the least I've ever had to wait at the park. Especially the ones where the merge is at the station. Literally walk up and get on the next train or 2 almost every time. Also agree, Fastlane is fantastic at KI.

How busy is Kings Island now that they are only open Saturdays and Sundays? Would a Fastlane Plus help with lines if it is crowded? I had friends recently go to Cedar Point with a Fastlane Plus and still waited over 2 hours in line for some rides. That is just plain wrong. They are selling too many Fastlane passes (at $95 each) which ruins the whole idea behind the Fastlane Plus. Anybody have this experience at Kings Island? Thanks.

Like others have said I wonder if your friends were confused or just very unlucky. Almost no one can get Fast Lane at CP this year so if you have it, it's amazing! You'll definitely want it at Kings Island.

Here at KI today. Since 11 with FastLane I have done Mystic Timbers twice, Beast, Backlot, Diamondback, Adventure Express and had a break with a bloody syringe lemonade and a worms in dirt funnel cake. Off to Orion next. FastLane rules!!!

Are they loading all rows in the trains or are they social distancing by leaving every other row closed to riders

Are they loading all rows in the trains or are they social distancing by leaving every other row closed to riders

Most coasters are only filling every other row, with a few exceptions:

- Banshee is loading the whole train, but with only one party per row

- Orion is also using all rows, but they are only filling the 2 inner seats in rows 1, 3, 5, and 7, and the 2 outer seats in rows 2, 4, 6, and 8

I think it's great that they're doing something like this... Not going to buy personally, but for those who this ride/park means a lot to, this is an interesting souvenir for them...

I would have rather purchased four commemorative bricks at CP than one chunk of steel from a junked coaster. Most people are awesome at wasting their money.

Would a Fastlane Plus help with lines if it is crowded?

Does water help with thirst?

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping to hear some reports from the past 2 weekends, the midwest is going to have some colder weather this weekend and I'm interested to see how crowds react. 

5 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Hoping to hear some reports from the past 2 weekends, the midwest is going to have some colder weather this weekend and I'm interested to see how crowds react. 

From my understanding it’s been crowded the last two weekends. I haven’t made it there recently with everything going on in my family but hope to this weekend for a bit.

hopefully one day the stars will align and both zachs, Coasterbill and brit, Joe and whoever else can all make it to KI at the same time. Tired of meeting y’all up there one by one lol 

• Like 1

Not KI, but at CP on Saturday the 3rd of October it barely broke 60 degrees and the park was busier that it had been during my July or August visits.  Fast Lane highly recommended.

So glad to see this site back up and running! I am doing my first trip to Kings Island and I purchased a flash pass! Every time I have planned a trip to this park it always fell through. Fingers crossed! 

2 hours ago, grsupercity said:

So glad to see this site back up and running! I am doing my first trip to Kings Island and I purchased a flash pass! Every time I have planned a trip to this park it always fell through. Fingers crossed! 

I will also be visiting KI for the first time next week and I am beyond excited.  I've already purchased my Fast Lane passes and the weather looks decent, so I'm looking forward to a great visit!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ape said:

hopefully one day the stars will align and both zachs, Coasterbill and brit, Joe and whoever else can all make it to KI at the same time. 

This.

• Like 2

Saturday was pretty busy, I overheard one ride op say busiest day of the year.  Most coasters were consistently over an hour wait and Mystic Timbers was 100min mid-afternoon.  I only rode Orion right at opening and waited ~45min.  Got a Fastpass for Sunday and still totally worth it even though crowds were much lighter.  I’ll post some more thoughts and pics tonight, it was a great visit with amazing weather.