TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

The turnaround on Orion is 204ft! Going right down into that long speed hill. I'm hoping it's like Titan or Goliath in that it's a solid 2-3 second 0G float.

Probably along the lines of Mako's or Leviathan's (although with a slight turn/bank) little hills, which are probably my favorite portions on both rides. I was kind of hoping when I heard KI was getting a giga that it would be loaded with a few of those low, high speed airtime hills. Happy to see Hershey's get a small bump, too.

^ The only thing that I would change about Orion (without getting crazy and adding 50 feet and 2,000 in length) would be to replace the big airtime hill with just another small speed hill - just because Diamondback already has plenty of big hills. But otherwise, I think the ride is perfect as far as the length and area can allow it to be. Looking great!

^ But how do you know what you want to change about Orion when you've never ridden it?

I give Orion 11/10. They're all good coasters, Brent.

The same way any hobbyist of any kind can judge and talk about the ‘wish list’ they had for a particular item.

A photographer may see a lens just released they never used, but can prefer a different feature set, build quality, aperture or zoom range based on their experience with similar products.

A car guy can see a new Toyota Camry announced but wish it didn’t have the weird grill, a different wheel aesthetic, wish for a different engine or transmission used.

A gamer can see a new release he has yet to play, but can make comment on specific graphics or the storyline based on information released.

A gardener may see a new shovel and hate it’s shape compared to others, even though they never used the thing.

And so on and so forth…

Just because nobody has ridden this thing, most have ridden other B&M’s and can make judgement based on what they see at this point. You don’t need to have ridden a ride to have an opinion on the features, layout and whatever else. It’s just part of any hobby… I don’t know why coaster enthusiasts get defensive about those who comment on something they have yet to ride. It may be more or less fun that one might expect, but why does that matter to one’s wish list on a particular ride?

I'd personally change a lot about Orion if I had the super powers to do so, but I don't. It looks fun, but yeah... So maybe the next giga!

OK then.

It’s a forum… People discuss/bicker/complain… I can see if you go to one extreme saying the ride will completely suck and rant about how terrible the park or whatever is for building whatever, but the comment by southpuddle was positive statement with a change they would have liked to see in the design. Big whoop.

I think Orion's layout looks great, but I don't think there's an issue with simply wishing it had a certain element, more length, more height, etc. I think as long as you don't scorn the ride it doesn't mean you're being negative about it. I welcome the conversation. Just be careful about using the word "bickering." I'm sure someone will get triggered...

I don't mind being avoided. It's flattering.

A car guy can see a new Toyota Camry announced but wish it didn’t have the weird grill, a different wheel aesthetic, wish for a different engine or transmission used.

I get what you're saying, but we give zero shits about Toyota Camrys.

It's a pretty excellent day to check out the webcam! https://www.visitkingsisland.com/explore/live-video

The big airtime hill is going up.

The turnaround on Orion is 204ft! Going right down into that long speed hill. I'm hoping it's like Titan or Goliath in that it's a solid 2-3 second 0G float.

Probably along the lines of Mako's or Leviathan's (although with a slight turn/bank) little hills, which are probably my favorite portions on both rides. I was kind of hoping when I heard KI was getting a giga that it would be loaded with a few of those low, high speed airtime hills. Happy to see Hershey's get a small bump, too.

I haven't gotten on either of those yet, but yeah I'm all for the high speed hills!

Capture.thumb.JPG.83cf4cb515658992680bed0cd20dc2d6.JPG

All hills should provide an equal amount of airtime and the larger hills should lessen their airtime to contribute to the smaller hills. Bernie: The Ride.

The next giga will be the biggest in history, way bigger than any during Obama, believe me. Very beautiful, everyone will love it. We will make gigas great again. And Six Flags will pay for it!

Looks like the erection of the ride may be complete right on time (Cedar Fair B&M’s typically have the last piece of track installed by the end of January). Not surprised, though. It’s just amazing that Six Flags still can’t learn how to project plan properly with their new attractions!

Looks great. Say what you want about this coaster compared to other gigas, but it definitely has the best color scheme of all of them IMO. I am a sucker for blue and white. It's so classic and timeless.

Isn't it like... The same colors as Millennium Force?