TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 829: Adventure Port themed area announced for 2023!

I think Invertigo is "fine." It's definitely better than your average boomerang, and oddly enough it is smoother than any SLC I've ridden, but I can't see Invertigo lasting too many more years given Stinger's fate.

But then again, this one has apparently always been more reliable than others and it also received some parts from Stinger so who really knows. I kind of just want to see Kings Island remove a third coaster in a row and see enthusiasts completely lose their minds.

^Maybe there is some confusion because you're named after a beatdown machine.

My love affair of the Raging Wolf Bobs has more to do with operating the ride for 4 seasons at GL not riding it! lol But.. oddly, I never found RWB rough and I didn't think it needed a trick to ride it to enjoy it. Which does prove that all opinions vary! Which is okay!

^It's simple, I just won't ride a ride I don't enjoy and I have no problem skipping rides. I'm not in this hobby to credit whore. So if i'm at a park with a ride I know I dislike, don't enjoy, find uncomfortable I'll just move onto something I do like.

Which is why I haven't ridden Vortex in probably 5 or so years even tho I go to KI probably 3-5 times a season. Which is why I haven't ridden Corkscrew in about 10 years or Mean Streak for about 5 before it closed. Or I skip over every SLC besides Morey's.

Again, I prefer a care free experience. I don't want to have to overthink my body posture and position to have a some what less uncomfortable ride. Just how I feel about rides.

This is me too, 100%! I go to amusement parks, and ride coasters to have fun! If a coaster isn't fun, or provides any measure of discomfort or pain, that's not a coaster I'm likely to ride again, or very often, as that's not why I get on a coaster in the first place. There isn't any magic in coaster credits, or laps on a coaster, as far as I'm concerned, and whether you've ridden 100, or 1,000, your experience is simply your own, and doesn't really matter much as far as anybody else is concerned. As I mentioned previously, coaster experiences are so subjective, and as others have mentioned, many different variables such as height, weight, age, and body configuration can contribute so much to each person's unique experience. So yeah, it's all about fun for me, and if the fun factor is outweighed by the discomfort factor, or needing to ride it a certain way to get a good ride factor, it's not going to be a popular coaster for me to get on.

Case in point, Raging Wolf Bobs is one of my most hated wooden coaster experiences, and the coaster I'm least sad to see go with GL. But you enjoyed it, and didn't find it rough. Yet you agree about Vortex. Again, as I said before, it's fascinating to see all the different nuances in how different people feel about different coasters, and how they affect them!

I think Invertigo is "fine." It's definitely better than your average boomerang, and oddly enough it is smoother than any SLC I've ridden, but I can't see Invertigo lasting too many more years given Stinger's fate. But then again, this one has apparently always been more reliable than others and it also received some parts from Stinger so who really knows.

I rode Invertigo for the first time in many, many years earlier this year, so my sons could check it out, and I found that it was a lot better than I remembered! I actually found it really fun, especially being able to look across and see the faces and responses of the people across from you! I definitely would rather see Vortex go, than Inverti-go!

I kind of just want to see Kings Island remove a third coaster in a row and see enthusiasts completely lose their minds.

Honestly, I feel that this isn't predominantly an enthusiast issue. If anything, enthusiasts, and people more involved in the hobby will understand the rationale of removing an aged coaster, and the natural circle of life of most coasters, and parks. The people who I see most riled by things like the removal of coasters, especially older, classic coasters like Vortex, are the non-enthusiasts, and the everyday park goer. Just go on any social media site for a park removing a coasters, and the comments are not predominantly from enthusiasts, or people that have ever darkened the door of an enthusiast site like this, or are a part of a "Coaster Club", or visit enthusiast events. They're just your everyday park fans, and attendees, who don't understand the ins and outs of why a coaster is getting removed, and are more prone to be be upset by it. So I contend, that if KI were indeed to remove a coaster a third year in a row, it would be the GP, or regular park attender, who would start to protest and grumble most vocally to KI about it, not enthusiasts.

I'm not saying there's not a segment of enthusiasts that can be vocal, obnoxious, and reflect poorly on the community. But I also feel like there's often more people complaining about enthusiasts in a generally negative and dismissive way, than I see people actually acting that way. There's a certain bit of self-cannibalizing that I see often in the community which I find unfortunate, because I tend to think that most people in it are really great and cool people. Or maybe I've just been blessed by all the great people I've gotten to know personally in the hobby over the years. Every fandom has its pros and cons, and I find that focusing on the positive over the negative has led to a lot more enjoyment in it for me personally over the years. Just my 2 cents...

They are preparing hard to continue on the lift at the moment. New supports are being prepared in the background as well as between liftbase and the bottom of the drop and there are new straight lift sections on the ground, seemingly ready for assembly. Looks like a bigger crane is all that's missing.

They are preparing hard to continue on the lift at the moment. New supports are being prepared in the background as well as between liftbase and the bottom of the drop and there are new straight lift sections on the ground, seemingly ready for assembly. Looks like a bigger crane is all that's missing.

A bigger crane is one site but needs assembled still. Last I saw it’s in the parking lot.

Using the "Arrow trick" of keeping your head in front of the restraint to avoid headbanging helps.

Thats what I did

I don't know. I'm just of the opinion that a ride shouldn't need any sort of "trick" to be enjoyable. I don't want to have to get on thinking.. "okay, as long as I'm riding between 6-615pm, it's August, the sun is at a 45 degree angle above the left support and I press my back into the seat while I shove my face in against the right restraint, I cross my legs and wear a mouth guard I'll have a good ride." /s

We had that issue on T3 recently. When there are too many "tricks" to remember, it's easy for me to forget what they are and have a bad experience. I couldn't remember which row was supposedly better, so we rode in the front, which I think was the worst choice we could have made. However, T3 is just horrible overall so maybe it wouldn't have mattered all that much.

I'm wondering if KI will immediately dismantle/destroy Vortex or leave it SBNO for a while. They wasted no time on Firehawk but they were also prepping the land for something new.

That's hard to say, but considering Vortex is so visible I would imagine they're going to try to take it down sooner rather than later. I wonder if it's already in the budget right along with Orion's construction. Otherwise, that would have been one hell of a knee jerk decision.

Damn, Six Flags almost had a shiny new giga. Whomp whomp

The construction crew has a curved track piece and two supports at the bottom of the first drop with the crane in position. When I checked about an hour ago it looked like the crew was looking over everything. I'm guessing this track piece will be put into place tomorrow.

So strange I was there on the 21st of October last year and the park felt practically empty.

Of course, it was super cold, I think around 50 degrees, and we were there right in the morning until about 5pm. Got on absolutely everything (even Firehawk! RIP) with very very minimal lines. So glad Vortex opened later in the day, got my one and only ride on it. Such a shame the ride is closing, I don't remember it being that bad, and I sat in the very back seat!

I feel rides like Vortex should be recognized and renovated to keep them around as long as possible, tearing them down literally is removing history of the park, and the history of coasters. Why Cedar Fair is not doing everything they can to keep the ride around, it really is a shame.

What are the odds that they will get the next lift hill support, and the next few pieces of lift hill track installed tomorrow?!?!

[attachment=0]giga.png[/attachment]

Orion's brake run looks like the angle of Racer's lift, and Orion's lift looks like the angle of Racer's drop. Coaster evolution.