TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Are those FL waits or standby waits? Thinking of going Oct 4th but would not be buying FL+

Those were the Fast Lane Plus lines.

When you work with the public and then go to a place on your vacation where there is a ton of people who are very similar to the people you deal with on a daily basis at work, you need something to take the edge off.

B&M rides in general are more marketable just because as I've said before, they're so damn beautiful.

Amen to both of these statements.

B&M rides in general are more marketable just because as I've said before, they're so damn beautiful. RMC's are rough and rigid looking, but they also do stuff that looks damn near impossible. SV is very intimidating to look at...appearance is everything. You could cook a steak that maybe the best tasting steak ever, but if the outside looks like sh**, nobody is going to eat it.

I don't know, I think Steel Vengeance is the most beautiful-looking coaster I've ever seen -- especially at night. I understand where you're coming from with the B&Ms looking good, though. I'm sure Orion will look great. I didn't ride Steel Vengeance opening year because of its one-train ops, and then it was removed from Fast Lane Plus for a time, and finally because the weather forecast was awful over three straight weekends near the end of the season and I ended up not going. Sometimes it's a lot of little things that aren't the fault of a ride's visual presentation.

Oh I think Steel Vengeance is beautiful too, but I'm also a coaster enthusiast lol. I just think that there is a portion of the GP (like my friends GF) that walk up to that ride and take one look at it and say there is no way I'm ever riding it or they get talked into riding, ride it once, then come off saying they'll never ride it again. You're right though, last season was a downer for the whole industry it seems. So it probably isn't fair to judge SV's appeal factor when you factor that in. It'll be interesting to see the ridership numbers for it this year compared to last year (did CP ever release those?).

Sooo... Haunt Saturdays, and KI all day Saturdays during October... It's probably crazy busy, right? I've only ever gone on Friday nights for Haunt, and haven't found the crowds too bad. But I imagine Saturdays are a whole different beast! What should I expect? (not doing Fast Lane+)

That topic always makes me wonder how many people who go to parks are actually willing to drive more than a few hours, if that, to another park. And I'm not talking about Disney/Orlando, which IMO doesn't qualify since it's more of a destination in itself. I'm talking about people who visit Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Carowinds, Six Flags St. Louis, Holiday World, etc. who are interested in visiting a place like Cedar Point, and then those who follow though. Then, you have to take into account those who can even think to afford to take that kind of trip.

I know two other people who are working professionals with decent salaries who have visited Cedar Point out of all of the people I know. But then again, they'll probably never go again. That, and they didn't go because of any new attraction, they just went based on the reputation Cedar Point has had since I was a teenager. So, I'm curious about the actual number of X in 1000 who actually went with the majority of their purpose to ride Steele Vengeance. After that, I'd like to know how many people went for a refurbished ride like Steele Vengeance vs. a new ground-up roller coaster like Valravn or Gatekeeper, both of which also had unique features.

I think you have a really great point here. I know there are plenty of people who would go to CP because of its reputation whether there is a new ride or not. In that case, current economics might be a better indicator to whether people will come or not. I don't think last year was the best year.

Locally here in Mid-Michigan, people will definitely make the 3 hour trip to CP for a new, hyped attraction, and if MIA ever DID add another big attraction, you'd better believe they'd flock there en-masse! (Even all the GP I've ever talked with in the area are annoyed with the lack of additions at the park, so anybody saying otherwise is feeding you a company line.) Dive Coasters in particular draw immense interest from non-enthusiasts, and that first year of Valravn was huge as far as attracting local interest. Honestly, I think SV looking a lot like a wooden coaster probably hurt its hype in the GP's eyes, and could explain why it didn't draw as well as we may have expected. Nobody I talked to about it had any context for knowing what an "RMC" was, and the response I got from people (again, all non-enthusiasts, because I don't have many local enthusiast friends) was noticeably more subdued than when I was showing them Valravn a couple of years before. (Heck, all this year I had random people sharing pictures and POVs of Yukon Striker on my Facebook because they know I love coasters, and that one got their attention!) So that's how I've found the non-enthusiast locals to be about Cedar Point. But ask about Six Flags Great America, or Kings Island, and the number of people in this area who have been to (or even heard of) either park, is WAY lower. It's always surprising to me, just how few people have made the trip to either park, and they're only an hour, to an hour and a half farther away. So, I have to agree with the others who have suggested that GP, and non-enthusiasts aren't likely to travel more than a few hours for an amusement park, and will likely only visit a non local park if there happens to be one nearby to where they are vacationing for some other reason.

You're right. A ton of people thought Steel Vengeance would still be rough because Mean Streak was rough. It was hard to explain to them the difference. I'm sure popularity has/will increase the more people ride it and tell their friends how it is.

My only concern with Orion is that I'm already hearing GP comparing it to Diamondback, saying the park is basically just adding another Diamondback. Of course it'll get a lot of traffic from locals who would go to the park anyway, but I have no idea how it'll be received by people from further away. In general, I don't meet too many people in the park who come from further places than MI, OH, KY, and IN anyway. But I might be completely off base. Only time will tell.

Sooo... Haunt Saturdays, and KI all day Saturdays during October... It's probably crazy busy, right? I've only ever gone on Friday nights for Haunt, and haven't found the crowds too bad. But I imagine Saturdays are a whole different beast! What should I expect? (not doing Fast Lane+)

I intentionally avoid Saturdays (and work most Saturdays anyway) but I heard this last Saturday the parking line was backed up into the road within a few hours of opening. That's a really bad indication of how busy the park will be. Too bad none of the webcams are facing that way or you could use that to judge whether it's worth your time going. I can have my friends gauge it if they go this Saturday.

I went last Saturday....spent an inadvertent hour waiting for Invertigo, and directly after, went for Fastlane Plus.... I rode every coaster but FOF, and the Bat (mainly because of me being blown away from my first night ride of the Beast, and my first ride of Mystic Timbers ever was so phenomenal, that my partner and I could not stand walking past them, without one more ride, on our way to Vortex after riding DIamondback.

I held us up because I needed to process my pass. So the first 1 1/2 hours were spent "outside" of the park.

My only concern with Orion is that I'm already hearing GP comparing it to Diamondback, saying the park is basically just adding another Diamondback.

I have no doubt that those comments are out there, but I'm sure they said the same with with Leviathan and that seems to easily be the crowd favorite.

JUST ANNOUNCED: Vortex will be retired at the end of the season. Get your final rides now.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/september/kings-island-to-retire-vortex-after-33-seasons

With this being said, whats the best time to go next month for minimal crowds? I am gonna plan a trip out there before the ride closes for good. I hate seeing another classic Arrow meet its demise.

^Wow! That kind of came out of nowhere! Interesting... Definitely opens up a HUGE plot of land for future expansion! I feel like they must have wanted to wait on its removal until they had another large coaster on the way in to "soften the blow" to those who may be frustrated at Vortex's removal. That certainly isn't me! I feel like it's been my prime target for removal for years, even more than Firehawk, so I'm not sad, per se, to see it go. However, it IS a classic coaster, and it was beautiful to look at, so in some respects, even an avowed "hater" of the ride like me will miss it somewhat.

Let the speculation begin on what will replace it, even though we have a brand new Giga that's not even built yet!

I am genuinely shocked. I was so relieved when Firehawk was revealed to be the one leaving in last year's "funeral" scene because the wording could also apply to Vortex, and then now they just announce Vortex departing a month out without anyone having had any hint it would be leaving, or at least not for a few more years at least.

I've never known KI without Vortex, it's one year older than me. One of my earliest memories from the park was watching it wind around, and the back of the park will never sound the same again without that signature Arrow chain lift.

I hope the station is kept and used for something, and whatever takes over that plot of land will be a suitable replacement.

With this being said, whats the best time to go next month for minimal crowds? I am gonna plan a trip out there before the ride closes for good. I hate seeing another classic Arrow meet its demise.

I wanted to respond to this, too, and say that while my experience is limited to Friday nights at KI Haunt, I've now gone 4 years running during this time, and I have experienced pretty manageable crowds every time I've gone. However, I've tried to go earlier, rather than later, and others have recommended that to me as well, saying it gets busier the closer you get to Halloween. So, I'd recommend getting out there the first Friday in October, if you're able to. Hopefully that helps!

To me this is an absolutely profound loss. It is my favorite coaster there and has always been part of my Kings Island experience. I too breathed a sign of relief when it was Firehawk announced last year, but I was thinking.. you know.. i need to be kind.. that was somebody's favorite ride.

With this said, I can't say I'm surprised in the least. The coaster is on the rough and violent side of things, I am always hearing complaints from riders when it pulls into the breaks, the age of course plays a factor, and I mentioned years ago to my freinds that once the park built a Giga, it was a matter of time before Vortex would be out the door, I was hoping it would last about 2 more years before a new mega looper could take its place.

Cedar Fair itself came out a new years ago and said the average lifespan of a steel coaster is about 20 years, and this has by far surpassed that.

Life is in constant change. Our bodies, the earth, the technology, our ways of thinking. It's a natural way of evolving. We are but a blip through history and time and it is our responsibility to be the best blip we can, enjoy the moments and cherish the memories. Nothing lasts forever, so let's enjoy the ride while we're on it.

Well that is certainly a surprise... there are so many older Arrows out there just plugging along and Vortex is pretty iconic. It is certainly one of, if not the best megalooper they created, and compared to the rest one of the least uncomfortable in my opinion.

I will miss this beautiful coaster, and it's great first drop. I can't really say I'm excited to see what's next, as looping coasters aren't typically one of my favorite types of ride, and this one holds a lot of sentimental value for all the reasons I've mentioned. I was probably going to make it to KI for haunt anyway, but now it's guaranteed.

This ride is awful. Good riddance.

The timing is very weird though, I almost wonder if it was a last minute decision to remove it this offseason based on maintenance needs or something. I personally don’t expect them to replace it for awhile so I doubt that it’s being removed because they need the spot for immediate expansion.

Edited by coasterbill

I'm one of the few that is sad to hear the news. I have fond memories of riding Vortex. I wish I could make it out for a final ride.

It is exciting to see what will be coming. I'll speculate either a B&M Dive, or an RMC Raptor. Perhaps for 2022.

I can see the sentimental attraction for those who grew up with the thing, but no real loss here personally. It was a matter of time. Rode it once every few visits and that was enough for me. It will be a far more exciting plot of land with something better utilizing the space within a few years.

I’ve skipped this the last few years I’ve been going. I love Tennessee Tornado. I would’ve likely given it a go a few weeks back if I knew it was going away. I’ve always thought about how rides are designed now vs back then. it’s a little hard to articulate, but they don’t make rides like this. So clearly centered around the inversions. It was certainly a good looking coaster.

I do wonder 20 years from now what kind of lineup all these big parks will have. Once SLC’s, Boomerangs, Vekoma Flying Coasters, Stand-Up Coasters, Volares, etc. what is there going to be? For Kings Island, 20 years from now, I’d expect Invertigo, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster, The Bat, and Adventure Express (maybe) to be gone. What do you replace them with? Can’t all be flagship type rides.

I know most of these rides kinda suck. But it’s just something I think about time and again.

Edited by Taylor Finn

I'll be the first to admit, vortex is actually my favorite roller coaster. As a kid I grew up with Great Adventure's Great American Scream Machine. I was crushed when it closed. Arrow coasters never hurt me and are actually my favorite roller coasters, so for the past decade Vortex has filled the void in my heart. I thought losing volcano this past year was hard, but this downright tears me apart, there will never be another like it.