TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My visit this past weekend was great, even with Saturday being very busy and me missing out on FL until Sunday.    I went into Orion not having followed its construction or watched a POV or even

I went the weekend before last and wasn't going to do any sort of report or review, but with this discussion, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I thought Orion was fantastic.  Millennium Force is th

I guess my tastes in coasters aren't that refined.... it goes 91 miles per hour and has a 300 foot drop. That's cool as sh*t. It also has tons of airtime, it's butter smooth, it hauls ass the entire t

Posted Images

KIGA

No.

Yes.

So, it's a Kigagoaster?

Love it! 10/10

Meanwhile, it's been a great day ar the park today (well, other than Diamondback being down all day), with everything walk on, or nearly walk on! Can't wait for the announcement in a couple hours! This truly is a great park already, and is about to get even greater!

Edited by DILinator

Hi everyone! I'd just like to let everyone know I'm an idiot! I thought I'd be "cute" and post the new ride info and BE FIRST to say it on the forums, because somehow I thought maybe that would get girls to like me or something...

Turns out...I'm just a moron and all it does is cause the admins to have to do MORE WORK and it got me banned from the forum.

Edited by robbalvey

Kings Island introducing 'Orion,' the world's newest giga coaster

99988359_ScreenShot2019-08-15at10_26_24PM.thumb.png.659fb64ae89b847cce90e68e3ec1c250.png

Ride Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard

Coaster Type: Steel

Classification: Giga

Lift/Launch System: Chain lift hill

Duration: 3 minutes

Trains: 3 trains with 8 cars. Riders are seated 4 across in a single row for a total of 32 riders per train

Capacity: 1,650 riders per hour

Minimum Height Requirement: 54 inches

Ride Opening: Spring 2020

Track Length: 5,321 feet

Height of First Drop: 300 feet

Length of First Drop: 447 feet

Total Number of Hills: 8

Height of Hills: 287 feet, 174 feet, 202 feet, 56 feet, 147 feet, 125 feet, 90 feet, 83 feet

Top Speed: 91 mph

Thrill-seekers will experience a new level of excitement when they visit Kings Island in 2020. Joining the world-class line-up of roller coasters at the park is Orion®, one of only seven giga coasters in the world, a class of roller coasters having a height or drop of 300-399 feet.

Themed to the park's new Area 72, the ride features the latest prototype vehicle developed by the Project X initiative. Scientists are in a race against time to develop technology capable of weaving transport vehicles through a coming meteor storm and traveling to a new planet within the Orion constellation. For the program to be successful, it needs volunteers to help with testing.

Riders on Orion will plummet down an exhilarating 300-foot first drop, sending them on a high-speed journey over seven more hills and 5,321 feet of track at speeds up to 91 mph on Kings Island's tallest, fastest and longest steel roller coaster.

Orion was exclusively designed for Kings Island by Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard, which also designed the park's popular Banshee and Diamondback roller coasters.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/explore/orion

ki-orion-mg1.thumb.jpg.fac10533bcd7c5c67cfb9dc29fa4072c.jpg

ki-orion-mg2.thumb.jpg.8381b9771228f7e0043eafd4df3bcbd3.jpg

ki-orion-mg3.thumb.jpg.a3cea2de4281db28c0ec4c0ca3ea6962.jpg

ki-orion-mg4.thumb.jpg.80cb097a9899e5777aa566df57bd8421.jpg

ki-orion-mg5.thumb.jpg.cdb7c1d5e08ffe1fa2845863cb6e7076.jpg

ki-orion-mg6.thumb.jpg.b49c6cc94771630cab4776302f79a062.jpg

ki-orion-mg7.thumb.jpg.c8d7cdaf55b6c267f3c9aef61732ef72.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

That stream was awful. Also really surprised they didn't have a press release sent out the minute the ride was announced or Videos already uploaded to their Youtube set to publish right after the announcement. Seems like this whole thing was just kinda threw together with no thought whatsoever.

Edited by ZeroGravity55
Wow. That live stream was um... "not good." I'm now waiting for any official announcement to go up so I can post the info here.

Yeah, the stream was... poor. One of the better comments during the stream was that someone used a piece of celery as a router.

It's especially weird that they didn't have anything prepared when the *exact* layout was posted to YouTube on May 9. The guy who created the NoLimits video either 1. had an inside connection or 2. is a wizard because he absolutely nailed every element.

They were upstaged by a 4 month old leak video!

I went with RAWKIN and DIL to the announcement and we had a blast! People here are hyped; this is going to be a good ride! The park was nice and dead today, too, so we got on quite a few rides. Guys this forum is a cool place.

Anyway, someone pointed out a backward blue racer train from the animation on their insta story. Could it be true...?

34cf3ad75254af098f3d54baab6d574f.jpg

Does anyone have any technical theory for why this and Leviathan have brake runs that are seemingly 100' in the air? Intamin has no issue running a train at 120mph into a flat brake run knowing that the magnets will do their thing... it's not like doing the raised brake run saves any (contactless) magnet maintenance.

My non-enthusiast husband who has never seen Leviathan just watched the TPR-posted POV and his first thought was "why does it end higher up than that building (FoF)" and I realized that I honestly don't have a logical answer for him.

That long Inclined brake-run is basically kinda like a second lift hill (aka one big block section) and it's easier and cheaper to move the train with gravity than drive tires. As why it's so tall, probably more or less B&M being using caution as they do with all their designs. While Intamin is comfortable coming in hot to a brake-run, B&M has their limitations on how far they're willing to push basically everything.

A ride this short for the height is going to be coming in hot to the brake run. It makes sense to have the brake run start high so that the kinetic energy of the train can be reduced before hitting the brake.

Pacing on this thing should hopefully be insane. I’m excited to visit KI again soon

Looks awesome. That first big “wave turn” looks like a ton of fun, and the two back to back airtime hills looks great. Also love the color scheme and name (I have always preferred Orion to Polaris). Way to go Kings Island!