TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

There are pictures and videos circulating from outside of the manufacturing plant of blue colored track similar Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom. It's not quite as bright but it looks like a true blue. It should provide a nice color variety of track throughout the park and skyline.

I'd posted a picture of what I thought was a small support installed... but I'm pretty sure it was a crapper. fail.

Plenty of concrete footers being poured. Mostly are a at the brake run.

• Replies 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My visit this past weekend was great, even with Saturday being very busy and me missing out on FL until Sunday.    I went into Orion not having followed its construction or watched a POV or even

This.

I actually thought the food at the brewhouse was legitimately really good.

Posted Images

I just realized that I was watching the block testing procedure of Diamondback for way more than a quarter of an hour via the webcams. I was so amazed and fascinated that I forgot everything around me!

Awesome, how slow the train crawles from the MCBR to the brake run. It seems like you can stop it with you bare fingers.

Oh yeah coming out of the MCBR from a complete stop with an empty train is nerve-racking to see. It crawls through the final helix and you'd think the water splash would bring it to a stop but it surprisingly makes it back to the final brake run.

From someone on r/rollercoasters

Kings Island roller coaster announcement and small event will be on August 14th.

RUMOR

Not sure if you consider this an unreliable source or not, but I work at the park as a contractor of sorts, and have been notified by upper management that a few of my stands will be effected by the announcement event coming the 14th. Just figured I'd give people a heads up, heard it here first.

Take it for what you will. Could be a troll, could be legit, idk...

Either way, I have to say I'm disappointed in how there has yet to be any teasers yet (whatsoever). And the more time that passes, the less likely we'll be seeing any teasers save one stating the announcement date. Yes, we already pretty much everything there is to know, even down to track color and two possible names, but it would have been nice to have some sort of story built up/attached to this ride.

The teasing campaigns for both Mystic Timbers and Banshee were done phenomenally well. So I don't understand why they've chosen to go about this coaster the way they have.

It was understandable not having teasers up on Opening Day since they wanted the focus to be on everything that was new or improved for 2019, and maybe wait until Grand Carnivale ends. But at this point...what are they waiting for?

It's because everyone already knows. Everyone. The local news has featured multiple stories on the 'giga' coaster. Even my grandmother and her neighbors know what a giga coaster is, where the steel is coming from, and the fact that it's coming next year.

Or, it's quiet before the storm.. I haven't heard a peep about the project since the layout was submitted and shared on the forums.

KI and CF and Don like to toy with enthusiasts but I'm not sure many people care about teasers outside of forums like this. As far as the GP is concerned, the news outlets and word of mouth have done plenty of "teasing" already. Why waste breath when you could just, you know, announce the thing?

Also are these kinds of events normally open to the public? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've never been to one and this time around I'll actually be in the area.

Both Banshee and Mystic Timbers had public announcements, after park close. I'm pretty sure DB and every other ride in CF ownership has had public announcements as well. This will likely be the same.

It's because everyone already knows. Everyone.

Right. But I still having a teaser campaign would help add to the excitement, and get even more people talking. Yes, mostly everyone knows, but I'm sure there are still plenty that don't.

Its just kinda lazy imo. We already know whats coming to BGW but thats not stopping them from doing a formal teaser campaign.

Simply put. With KI's history of teasing rides so well, I'm surprised that they've taken this "nothing to see here" approach that they have.

I'm pretty sure DB and every other ride in CF ownership has had public announcements as well.

Not at Carowinds. They have taken place on days the park has been closed to the public. or either they just announce via social media like they did with camp snoopy.

If I were a park and enthusiasts ruined all the excitement by snooping and taking pictures of blueprints, I would forego any teasers too, just as an FU. I hope they don’t even make an announcement and just open the damn thing with zero fanfare and let enthusiasts lose their GD minds for the next eight months.

^I can get on board with that idea. Kind of like the first year of construction of Steel Vengeance!

For what it's worth, I love when parks start constructing coasters without announcing them. Not knowing the layout and watching it unfold element-by-element is way more exciting. If you have some super detailed, high-quality animation of the entire coaster (like Cedar Fair usually does), it does make the construction progress a little less interesting since you already know exactly what's coming.

Not at Carowinds. They have taken place on days the park has been closed to the public. or either they just announce via social media like they did with camp snoopy.

Sorry. Meant for their ownership of KI at least (as that is home park, can't speak on how other CF parks typically do theirs).

If I were a park and enthusiasts ruined all the excitement by snooping and taking pictures of blueprints, I would forego any teasers too, just as an FU.

Considering its the age of the internet, I wouldn't say the park really has a right to be mad or even surprised that it got let out of the bag this early on. This happens for seemingly every major coaster nowadways, and I think they've been getting found out earlier and earlier each time simply because enthusiasts know where to look.

And yes, I understand that many long for the days of being completely unknowing of what is to come before an announcement, but this is just the way things are now.

From my understanding, the parks don't really care about things like leaks and chatter on the internet. It's all buzz that works in the parks favor as we never really get everything right anyway until they announce it.

If I were a park and enthusiasts ruined all the excitement by snooping and taking pictures of blueprints, I would forego any teasers too, just as an FU. I hope they don’t even make an announcement and just open the damn thing with zero fanfare and let enthusiasts lose their GD minds for the next eight months.

We won’t lose our minds. We will all be able to see it. Kings Island is in a poor location to hide anything. It’s not secluded by any stretch of the imagination.

We also have this horrible thing called winter, where cold, rain, snow and ice are the norm. It becomes more difficult to get quality concrete in the ground and tough to get projects to go vertical with any speed, since the conditions are an unknown. If they want it open in May 2020, vertical construction will have to start sooner rather than later. Each year it feels like we are into May before winter temps leave and into June before real warmth comes. Cincinnati is starting to seriously lack a Spring and Fall anymore.

Nobody was “snooping.” It’s all public record. Kings Island knows exactly what they are doing when they file those blueprints. Besides, the park is LEGALLY REQUIRED to file those blueprints. Go yell at the politicians who made the FOIA if you are really so upset about this.

Nobody was “snooping.” It’s all public record. Kings Island knows exactly what they are doing when they file those blueprints. Besides, the park is LEGALLY REQUIRED to file those blueprints. Go yell at the politicians who made the FOIA if you are really so upset about this.

Agreed, when there's a filing for a local government permit like in this case then the documents become a part of the open records law this is how the media is able to get information for news stories and the general public can also request access to anything covered by the open records laws.

All I’m saying is that if everyone and their grandma (literally based on this thread) already knows exactly what is coming to Kings Island next year because all of the details were discovered (“snooping” or not), I wouldn’t be shocked or disappointed if they decide not to do your precious teaser campaign and focus that energy and money elsewhere.

Part of me wonders if there weren't already subtle easter eggs or "teasers" (maybe those Christmas posters that were on the walls by Flight of Fear during WinterFest?) that people just missed or wrote off, and the park just said, "Eh, maybe they'll make the connection eventually."

I do kind of hope whatever announcement is coming in August will be less of a full announcement and more of a confirming some of what we already know (e.g. giga coaster is coming) leading to the start of a teaser campaign and a slow roll-out of information.

But they could also do literally no teasers at all (as already mentioned) and people will still know about it and come in droves anyway. And in the end we'll still like the coaster just the same.

All I’m saying is that if everyone and their grandma (literally based on this thread) already knows exactly what is coming to Kings Island next year because all of the details were discovered (“snooping” or not), I wouldn’t be shocked or disappointed if they decide not to do your precious teaser campaign and focus that energy and money elsewhere.

Apparently for Kings Island the best teaser is to start clearing land. Enthusiasts then go crazy over the stuff you were going to do anyway--file copyrights for names and blueprints with the government. They figure it out and suddenly the news and everyone is going crazy. In one sense, we could see this as the most cost-effective teaser the park has ever done!

At long last, we have teasers! (Or...something, at least)

7FDAD030-4E83-45C2-87AF-F4CB1B60B341.thumb.jpeg.b79198b080286b28994146ce7f331e19.jpg.301fd96ba46f2567b579ebe3bed8c7a8.jpg

Credit - KICentral member Enchanted Voyage Lover

Some things of note...

-20 would be the years that Invertigo/Face/Off has been at the park.

-11 the years FH spent at the park

- The color spectrum on the Firehawk poster represents the colors X-Flight had (green, navy blue), and the red and grey obviously being Firehawk's colors

Other than that, I don't think there's really much here to decipher (nor that really needs deciphering). My guess is that in the days/weeks to come they will put out a sign for each coaster at the park one at a time. Similiar to CP en route to Steel Vengeance announcement

Edited by Intamin_coyote