TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

I think one thing to keep in mind when comparing this to Fury is that B&M really looks at the aesthetic of the ride. Fury is at the front of the park and goes over multiple walkways where the guest can see the train. Therefore that ride didn't need tall elements for the guests to look at. This Kings Island ride seems to be towards the back of the park off in a wooded area. Therefore they're using taller elements that pop in out of the tree lines to make the ride more visually appealing. Since the ride is using taller elements, they're keeping the ride length shorter so it maintains its speed. I think when you get this tall with a ride, there's gonna be a number of guests who won't ride and would rather just watch than ride.

^You make a very good point. I never really considered that, but it makes sense.

I would be thrilled if I lived near Kings Island. Being from the West Coast, I am very jealous that North America is getting its FIFTH giga coaster, all of which are located in the same time zone. Whether it's more similar to I305, or Fury, or Leviathan, or Millennium Force, us Californians would *gladly* take this giga off your hands!

I think one thing to keep in mind when comparing this to Fury is that B&M really looks at the aesthetic of the ride. Fury is at the front of the park and goes over multiple walkways where the guest can see the train. Therefore that ride didn't need tall elements for the guests to look at. This Kings Island ride seems to be towards the back of the park off in a wooded area. Therefore they're using taller elements that pop in out of the tree lines to make the ride more visually appealing. Since the ride is using taller elements, they're keeping the ride length shorter so it maintains its speed. I think when you get this tall with a ride, there's gonna be a number of guests who won't ride and would rather just watch than ride.

That's a good point with the taller elements. This ride will have a totally different feel to it than Fury because of location alone. I was thinking the theme will match that aesthetic, but I never considered it playing a role in the layout.

I've been following this because my son and I attended Coasterstock this year and it was our first time at KI. We loved the park! Several unique coasters and since it's about a 6 hour drive for us probably a once a year trip. Coasterstock was his requested birthday present and I'm guessing it will be next year as well with the new Giga.

With SFStl as our home park I would not be complaining about ANY new coaster. Seriously. And although we have a nice little collection of woodies, it does not come close to the coaster collection you guys have.

^And I also love how they make it a priority to build coasters with at least three trains to begin with (and often times more)

The fact that a 3,265 ft long GCI with no MCBR in MT runs with three trains I've always considered to be quite remarkable. (All thanks to the #theshed)

^And I also love how they make it a priority to build coasters with at least three trains to begin with (and often times more)

The fact that a 3,265 ft long GCI with no MCBR in MT runs with three trains I've always considered to be quite remarkable. (All thanks to the #theshed)

And because of the shed it doesn’t feel like you’re waiting long even when you’re stacked and waiting. It’s hard to hear the music from the back row (where we usually ride) but I still make a point of singing and swaying to the music.

Those who were disappointed with the shed were simply victims of unrealistic expectations...

I don't go into a Cedar Fair ride expecting Disney/Universal level theming just as I don't ride Space Mountain expecting CF/Six Flags thrills...

----

But onto the topic of next year, what I find funny/ironic is that like its sister park in Doswell, VA, Kings Island will end up with a giga right next to a Flight of Fear, and towering over 70s racing woodie. Not only that, but a Backlot Stunt Coaster and Arrow mega looper not too far away as well...

Oh how these things turn out!

----

Amusement Insiders posted this. He says a POV and offride footage of this rendering will be posted in the next day or so.

09C2B784-1194-45D9-8EC8-3B536133C65E.thumb.png.1b4f4ce433b1648371bf2a048b174f5b.png

I was disappointed for about 2 seconds but then I bought a “what’s in the shed?” T-shirt and I say, “whatever you do, don’t go in the shed!” From the top of wooden coasters (and some water rides) whenever I’m feeling especially hype.

It’s a disease. Don’t hate.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Here is the off-ride footage and front row pov.

A thing I would like to note... There's not necessarily any indication at this point, that the name would be Polaris instead of Orion. That's just what he decided to pick. Personally I would prefer Orion, but Polaris is fine too.

One word - with no numbers added on is mainly what I want name-wise...

I expressed my doubt at the last predicted layout but having studied the leaked blueprints I think this is ridiculously close to what we'll be seeing next year. I personally love the colors they chose for this render. The space theme fits really well with FoF as well. Hope the park chooses something similar!

That first element is intriguing, though. It's not really a turn, but it does curve a few degrees off to the left. I wonder if we'll be seeing a cool lateral-airtime element like the treble clef on Fury.

It will be very interesting to see both Hersheypark and Kings Island add their large B&M Hyper/Giga simultaneously. Despite the height and speed differences, they are the same type of coaster and even have very roughly similar layouts, and the two parks aren't *that* far from each other in a big picture view. Very interesting, for me at least.

Praying to the coaster gods that CGA is next to receive one...