TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Well the consensus on KIC actually is that it IS indeed a giga, but not looking to be the record-breaking, game-changing, one like Fury we were all hoping for. Granted, its extremely difficult to tell what specific elements will or won't be present, so we don't know if the turnaround will be a cool treble-cleff like thing OR the plain criss-cross hammerhead found on Leviathan etc.

It looks to have a helix, which is good. But the main concern is how short this coaster could be. It might not even be longer than DB the way it looks right now, and when you're going giga speed, its going to burn track length fast.

I guess the thing I'm most disappointed by is it not going as far back into the woods as I was hoping, which would have made for yet another incredible night ride. I think it will still be 'good' night ride, but imagine if it were to dogleg away from the Beast into the foliage another 500 ft?

What I'm hoping for at this point is that its relatively short layout can be compensated with intensity a la I305. Now I know this is a B&M, but I feel they've come along way since Leviathan.

I don't know. Personally, I'm kinda disappointed that this thread hasn't turned into 600 pages of armchair surveying, civil engineering, computer-aided design interpretation, trigonometric mathematics, NDA-violating, FOIA-requesting, PDF-downloading, glue-sniffing enthusiast speculation. Would really liven the place up.

I don't know. Personally, I'm kinda disappointed that this thread hasn't turned into 600 pages of armchair surveying, civil engineering, computer-aided design interpretation, trigonometric mathematics, NDA-violating, FOIA-requesting, PDF-downloading, glue-sniffing enthusiast speculation. Would really liven the place up.

I'm skeptical of the blue prints. How official are they? If they're legit, it leads me to believe that this is a very basic out and back giga or that it's not a giga at all. At first glance, Diamondback's layout seems much more interesting. It doesn't make all that much sense to me.

Length may be effected if there are budget concerns. CF didn't have a strong 2018, so maybe this is way its so "short" in appearance in these prints. Until any sort of official announcement is made all we can do is fangirl and speculate.

However, I kinda dug that layout in the NoLimits video. A shorter in length could be fun as it could really keep its speed throughout. Look at Mako, it's stats don't impress but people love it.

Someone estimated off the prints it could be around 5300' long which puts it longer than I305 (at 5100' listed per RCDB) and just shorter than Leviathan. So not bad. Just not the record breaker people expected.

Regardless I'm pumped for a new B&M at KI in 2020.

I love how Kings Island fans have been clamoring for a giga and when they finally get it, they complain.

Literally every fan base ever for every park. Too many people in this hobby are entitled and ungrateful. Even when rides like Steel Vengeance or Yukon Striker get announced there are people who have to complain cause it wasn't EXACTLY what they wanted or assumed it would be.

The b*tching will increase once it's officially announced and we have all the details.

Edited by WolfBobs

I love how Kings Island fans have been clamoring for a giga and when they finally get it, they complain.

Literally every fan base ever for every park. Too many people in this hobby are entitled and ungrateful. Even when rides like Steel Vengeance or Yukon Striker get announced there are people who have to complain cause it wasn't EXACTLY what they wanted or assumed it would be.

The b*tching will increase once it's officially announced and we have all the details.

The one thread I don't suspect this would be an issue in is the Michigan's Adventure thread. I remember last year when they were begging for Knott's old Boomerang and Firehawk. They'll take anything at this point.

Also if everyone's main gripe is about the length, I just think back to Twisted Cyclone. When it was announced, everyone complained it was missing the third lap. But once it opened, the conversation switched to how awesome and insane that ride is.

That's assuming all these leaks are real, which is a big assumption.

It looks pretty different to Diamondback so I think I’ll be pretty happy with it if this turns out to be true. If I want a longer ride I’ll just walk across the park and ride Diamondback; hopefully this while shorter will give a more intense and relentless experience that I can’t get on Diamondback.

Also, a top-down view of a coaster's layout hardly does it justice. Any coaster's layout (especially hypers/gigas) look uninteresting from that view. It is very difficult to judge the scale of the lift hill, airtime hills, etc. I remember first seeing a plan view of Fury's layout and being underwhelmed, but of course my opinion has VERY much changed!

Regardless if that is the layout (and, honestly, I really do think it is), I can't believe I would see the day a giga is actually coming to Kings Island. I always thought it would never happen since this park "fills the gaps" of Cedar Point's ride collection, such as having a plethora of woodies, a B&M Hyper, previously a flying coaster, indoor coaster, family coasters, etc. Hopefully this ride separates itself from Millennium Force, Fury, and Leviathan.

I think 2020 is going to outdo 2018 as one of the best years for new roller coasters in the US.

Plus we know nothing about the theme at this point. It sounds like Copperhead Strike has good reviews, and I'm fairly impressed with Mystic Timbers. Maybe that's what'll make this ride, but again, we know virtually nothing at this point. I'm still decently skeptical about the leaked layout prints.

I guess I should point out part of the reason everyone on KIC is freaking out is that they have the foundation layout for the lift hill and drop. According to the document the lift is at 40 degrees with no way to determine the drop but people are assuming something between 80 and 85 degrees. The footers have locations accurate to fractions of an inch.

According to trig the lift is only 285 feet tall. It’s a giga style coaster and not even a real giga. The document was filed with the city so they could start construction soon, so it pretty much has to be real.

And if it's not a "true giga" who cares? It's a new B&M hyper/giga. It'll be a fun ride even if it doesn't shatter records.

I would love for CP to even add another one. Rides can offer completely different rides and experiences even having near identical stats on paper. My fanboy wet dream is for CP to add a B&M Giga to compliment Millennium Force.

And if it's not a "true giga" who cares? It's a new B&M hyper/giga. It'll be a fun ride even if it doesn't shatter records.

Because its.... wasted potential?

I mean yes, obviously any B&M is going to be a good ride, but the disapointment is stemming from that it might not do enough to separate itself from the B&M hyper the park already has.

You already have enough of the general public (and even some enthusiasts), who find it weird to have Leviathan and Fury in the same parks as Behemoth, and Intimidator.

If this really does come out to be only 285 ft, with a drop barely scratching 300 ft, with a length that could end up being even shorter than Diamondback, I feel you're going to have even more people, whether the label is justified or not, view this as "just a taller Diamondback". Its bad enough Leviathan is comparable to hypers in length (without the intesnity of I305 to make up for it), but this? Might even be shorter than that?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be willing to reserve full judgment until we truly know all the details via official announcement (and I actually ride it), but I I am kind of puzzled on what I've seen so far...

I believe it is justified to be concerned with this.

Something about this just.... doesn't seem right....

Edited by Intamin_coyote