TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

So I was at KI for haunt Saturday night and I'll admit I was let down a little. I remember it being much better 3/4 or so years ago. Is nostalgia getting to me or has it always been this bad?

Maybe it has something to do with the giant Christmas at the park entrance...

Sorry for the double post, but I'm curious if anyone noticed the crowd getting more rowdy as the park got closer to closing? This happened the last time we rode it out closer to the park closing. Eventually, we just called it a night after the park ran out of beer and when we were in line to grab a piece of pizza there were several douche teens that just walked right by everyone in the 20 minute line. We didn't wait for our pizza and I don't think getting into a confrontation with a bunch of early teenagers would have been a smart move.

Last year we didn't have the option to find out what the park would be like near closing, since it poured rain from about 9pm to close.

Sorry for the double post, but I'm curious if anyone noticed the crowd getting more rowdy as the park got closer to closing?

Last I went was last year this upcoming weekend. Stayed til close and didn't notice any difference, but wasnt really looking for it either. Also wasn't drinking any beer...so that annoyance didn't factor in. Would also be glad to know as I'm trying to get there either this Friday or as part of my trip to CP the last weekend of the season.

So I was at KI for haunt Saturday night and I'll admit I was let down a little. I remember it being much better 3/4 or so years ago. Is nostalgia getting to me or has it always been this bad?

I've been to Haunt at KI four years running now (and will be doing it every year for the foreseeable future), and it's been amazing every single year, as far as I'm concerned! Now, I will admit I'm not big into the actual scarehouses, so if that's what you are mostly referring to, I can't speak to that. Also, the lack of any scare actors at the front of the park when you enter, and randomly walking around the rest of the park this year, was a little disappointing, though honestly, I think it was best, considering my kids were on edge enough already. But I will also chime in and say that the 2 new scare zones were nice. Pumpkin Eater especially was really well done! I did think the ambiance of the park was still top notch, and they really upped the ante with some of the animatronic spooks scattered throughout the park.

And as others have mentioned, KI drop kicks CP in this department, that's for sure!

Any lack of actors in the haunts could be simply due to people not showing up for work. When I worked Cornstalkers, we would often have to give up 3-4 of our people to other, more popular haunts.

Also, I'm really hoping the popularity of Pumpkin Eater will eventually lead to KI getting the full haunt of it from Knotts...the would be awesome.

^Yeah, when we were there in July 2017 we really had the feeling that KI is close to our european parks if you focus on the rides. We were without children, so we didn't notice the lack of having enough family rides. When we went back to Europa Park in fall, we thought, that KI (and CP) would need some more balanced rides if we will come back with children to be fully enjoyable for visitors that don't like coasters (or aren't able to ride them because of the height restrictions). When they announced the Antique Cars, we immediately knew this will be a hit.

Looks like another winner. I really don't know what else I would want from this park. I don't even care if the park gets a Giga. It would be a plus, but it will also take away my appreciation for Diamondback.

I have not been on Diamondback, but I have been on Intimidator (CW) and Fury 325 and I felt that they were both unique from one another that Fury didn't really overshadow Intimidator.

I'm heading to the park tomorrow (Saturday). I hooked Emily and I up by purchasing Platinum Passes, FL+ Passes, and Fright Lane Passes. ($700 lmao oops) I couldn't mess with uploading a picture when I purchased the passes at work, so it says I have to go to the season pass processing center. Where is that? We're in no hurry to get to the park and we'll probably be there around 1. Will there be a long wait to get our passes processed?

Also, I was told on the Facebook group that a funpix season pass will work at all parks, but the website doesn't specify that. Is this true?

Lastly, it's supposed to be mid to low 30's late at night. Does KI shut down coasters when it gets this cold?

Looks like another winner. I really don't know what else I would want from this park. I don't even care if the park gets a Giga. It would be a plus, but it will also take away my appreciation for Diamondback.

I have not been on Diamondback, but I have been on Intimidator (CW) and Fury 325 and I felt that they were both unique from one another that Fury didn't really overshadow Intimidator.

I visited Carowinds before Fury. During that visit, I bounced back and forth between Afterburn and Intimidator. After my last three visits to Carowinds with Fury, Afterburn, and Intimidator, although I enjoyed Intimidator it definitely got moved to the back burner. I did, however, find it dumb how everyone was constantly trashing Intimidator after Fury was built.

I'm with you about the Giga. Honestly, I'm hoping it's a different B&M model, like tallest and fastest Wing coaster, with a layout that takes it out through the trees for near-misses, similarly to how Thunderbird is. Heck, maybe instead of tallest, they'd become the second park with a launched wing - fastest, naturally! But yes, KI has a little bit of everything already, and has firmly established itself as a yearly place to visit for me and my kids, in spite of the lengthy distance to get there!

I've gotta disagree on this. Maybe it's because I've only been to Carowinds since Fury was there, and perhaps it's because I rode Fury first, but I've never had a ride on Intimidator that I thought was particularly special, or noteworthy. I consider it my least favorite B&M Hyper. Not saying it's a bad ride, as I like every B&M Hyper. Heck, it's currently my third favorite coaster at the park (though that's not saying a lot, given the competition.) But I would definitely say that it's overshadowed by Fury, and it's hard not to feel like it's a waste of my time waiting in a long-ish line for that, when I can wait in a faster moving line for Fury (true experiences from both of my visits.) When I went there with my kids this year, we took to calling Intimidator - Marginalized: The Ride. Again, it's not a bad coaster, but I do think Fury being there affects it.

Now, I haven't been to CW since Leviathan, so I can't comment on that park's experience (though I hope to change that the upcoming year.) But Behemoth is an amazing coaster, and arguably my second favorite B&M Hyper behind Mako, and just above Diamondback. I can't imagine not still enjoying a ton even after I ride Leviathan. I know people tend to regard Leviathan as the "worst" of the B&M Gigas, so that might be a difference as well, since Fury is such a strong coaster. But it could also end up showing that people who rode Fury before Intimidator, have a harder time appreciating the smaller coaster, while those who rode the Hyper first, still enjoy it plenty, and don't feel the experience has been overshadowed.

I'm heading to the park tomorrow (Saturday). I hooked Emily and I up by purchasing Platinum Passes, FL+ Passes, and Fright Lane Passes. ($700 lmao oops) I couldn't mess with uploading a picture when I purchased the passes at work, so it says I have to go to the season pass processing center. Where is that? We're in no hurry to get to the park and we'll probably be there around 1. Will there be a long wait to get our passes processed?

Also, I was told on the Facebook group that a funpix season pass will work at all parks, but the website doesn't specify that. Is this true?

The Season Pass Processing Center is in the building to your left, as you approach the entry gates, in the front building. I think you have to go through the metal detectors first, though I can't swear to that. I purchased and activated my SP prior to Haunt last year, and didn't wait long at all. However, it is later in the Haunt season now, so it's possible the line will be longer now, since the park's lines are usually longer.

Yes, I got my Funpix SP at KD before going anywhere else this year, and used it tons all year at both CP and then KI. So you should be good!

So.. I don't personally see a problem having a giga and a hyper in one park - as long as both are unique experiences, like Magnum and Millennium Force in Cedar Point. Although I know that these are different manufacturers (and none of them being B&M), both are so different in style and layout that I don't feel redundancy. As Diamondback is one of the best B&M hypers (IMHO) I could well imagine a giga popping up there.

That being said, I of course hope to see something truly unique and new at KI in 2020. Launched flyer, launched giga, whatever. But with everything like Diamondback and better, I'll be satisfied and crazy for our return to the States.

So.. I don't personally see a problem having a giga and a hyper in one park - as long as both are unique experiences, like Magnum and Millennium Force in Cedar Point. Although I know that these are different manufacturers (and none of them being B&M), both are so different in style and layout that I don't feel redundancy. As Diamondback is one of the best B&M hypers (IMHO) I could well imagine a giga popping up there.

That being said, I of course hope to see something truly unique and new at KI in 2020. Launched flyer, launched giga, whatever. But with everything like Diamondback and better, I'll be satisfied and crazy for our return to the States.

Canada's Wonderland has Behemoth which is a Hyper and Leviathan which is a giga coaster. Both do provide different experiences as Behemoth is about the airtime and Leviathan is about the speed. As I have visited Kings Island a couple of times during the past four years, I feel a giga would be a perfect fit for the park and compliment their already awesome roller coaster collection. I really need to get back sometime soon to ride Mystic Timbers as it was under construction the last time I was there!

Canada's Wonderland has Behemoth which is a Hyper and Leviathan which is a giga coaster. Both do provide different experiences as Behemoth is about the airtime and Leviathan is about the speed. As I have visited Kings Island a couple of times during the past four years, I feel a giga would be a perfect fit for the park and compliment their already awesome roller coaster collection. I really need to get back sometime soon to ride Mystic Timbers as it was under construction the last time I was there!

I definitely agree that having a hyper and giga in the same is perfectly fine as long as they focus on different things as you mentioned. Also... you definitely need to come down to ride MT! It's a spiffy little ride!

All Season FunPix is valid at all participating CF Parks. Michigan's Adventure, Dorney & Valleyfair are the only 3 that currently don't have it.

allseasonfp.thumb.JPG.db03758c1c3e6e834b7469dd74527037.JPG

I’ll be going to the park tomorrow as well. It will be my first ever visit to KI after going to CP so many times. I already bought Fastlane Plus so lines aren’t going to be an issue. I’m really looking forward for my visit. This comes after having to cancel two trips to KI over the summer. Third times the charm I guess.

All Season FunPix is valid at all participating CF Parks. Michigan's Adventure, Dorney & Valleyfair are the only 3 that currently don't have it.

That makes sense. You really don't want photo evidence that you were there.

Kings Island trip report

Alright I just finished my first ever visit to Kings Island and it was absolutely amazing. Thanks to Fastlane Plus lines weren’t an issue so we were able to ride everything we wanted to multiple times including night rides. The only rides we didn’t get to ride though were Drop Tower, WindSeeker, Invertigo and Eiffel Tower. A lot of the coasters shut down though around the time the haunt started because of the wind (although the employees that were at the entrances of the closed coasters were telling the guests it was the wind chill) but most of the coasters reopened accept for Banshee and Vortex. As for what my favorite coaster that was easily The Beast at night in the front/back row. I was really surprised by how much that thing was hauling. Same with Mystic Timbers. Both coaster just tore through the track. Got plenty of rides on Firehawk as well. I loved the ending to the Adventure Express a lot. It really was as amazing as everyone said on here. We only did one maze and that was the Wolf Pack maze that was in the former SOB station. We’re going back to the park today to try to get on what we didn’t get on yesterday. All in all I would say this was one of my best visits to any park. Looking forward to coming back in 2020 when they open their next coaster that I hope is a B&M Giga. Thankfully on Sunday Invertigo, Drop Tower and WindSeeker were all open so we were able to get a few rides on them along with re-riding several other coasters before heading back home. So again this was very successful trip and we got plenty of night rides on most of the coasters.

Edited by 9Armgeddon4

Also worth mentioning that if you have a Platinum you can purchase it at any participating CF park online and it still works. I purchased FunPix on CGA website (cheaper than Ohio parks) and visited Ohio parks before CGA this year and it worked fine as long as I scanned with the employees before I tried the self-serve kiosk.

Also, Fury definitely overshadows Intimidator but Diamondback is way better than Intimidator and I feel like Diamondback would still be a great coaster worth your time even if there is a taller and faster coaster at the park. Plus, enthusiasts tend to forget there are always the "h*ll to the f&%k no" people whose bravery might get them on Diamondback but probably not a giga. I have a few friends like that.

So I'm still in the "please please please yes" category for a giga. And "calling it now" to my friends so that I can blow their minds if/when it happens. (Anyone else get off on doing this to people?)

Speaking of, there was girl about 9-years-old wearing a "Farewell Firehawk" shirt on Friday who rode Firehawk with us. I asked her if it was her favorite ride and she said, "Yes, at least until they get the giga." Someone is raising this girl well.