TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Maybe its an unpopular opinion. I've never ridden Nighthawk so I can't tell you if it is as good as Firehawk or not. I just much prefer B&M flyers to Flying Dutchmans. Of the three flyers I've ridden; Tatsu, Firehawk, and Superman:UF, Firehawk did the least for me. I definitely enjoyed it every time I visited KI and it was a nice touch to the park, but it never really felt like a "real" flyer to me.

Which Superman? The original installation at Over Georgia blew away the clone at Great Adventure because it was built with the terrain, greatly enhancing the sense of flight.

My flying coaster rankings so far: Tatsu > Superman SFoG > Batwing > Nighthawk = Superman SFGAdv.

It actually was the SFGAdv one. I went in with pretty low expectations but came out having still enjoyed it more than Firehawk. It has lots of fun, swooping turns. If we're talking setting, though, Firehawk is certainly not a contestant. The grassy field it's over is pretty comparable to the one at Great Adventure.

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My visit this past weekend was great, even with Saturday being very busy and me missing out on FL until Sunday.    I went into Orion not having followed its construction or watched a POV or even

Get over it man.  You've made your point and we get it; it's silly that this park did not do a Winterfest-lite.  Make the 8 hour drive to KD if you want to experience that, just like all of us with KD

I went the weekend before last and wasn't going to do any sort of report or review, but with this discussion, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I thought Orion was fantastic.  Millennium Force is th

Posted Images

A Vekoma flyer meets its demise?

dirtoffya.gif.2dbc6d7cce63b6e341e0803ac01959ff.gif

My thoughts exactly...

Although I'm hearing rumors it may have been purchased by another park. Anyone heard anything?

Edited by robbalvey

[attachment=0]dirtoffya.gif[/attachment]

My thoughts exactly...

Although I'm hearing rumors it may have been purchased by another park. Anyone heard anything?

Kentcuky Kingdom posted a video eluding to a flyer this week.

[attachment=0]dirtoffya.gif[/attachment]

My thoughts exactly...

Kentcuky Kingdom posted a video eluding to a flyer this week.

Well, they have a video calling their new ride the Kentucky Flyer...and they already have Larsson Flying Scooters. Seems fairly likely.

^So does a Zamperla Air Race. They did just get a Zamperla Endeavor. There's a lot that can fit a flying theme!

Sure, there is. I'm not saying "mystery solved" here. But if it's true that someone bought it, it seems like there's a reasonably good chance that's where it's going, anyway.

I absolutely love this announcement. Not because I care about the ride removal or future ride additions, but because the entertaining idiotic facebook posts are endless right now. So many experts out there.

So wait just to be clear after this weekend Firehawk won’t be open again until the last weekend in October?

I'm pretty sure it's open every weekend (if all goes well) starting this weekend until the end of October. Then it's closed for good.

Damn we’re going to miss it’s last operation weekend by one weekend. Yeah after having to cancel two trips to park over the summer we planned third trip for October which turns out will be the weekend before. I’ve already ridden a Vekoma Flyer(Nighthawk) but none of my friends have ever ridden a one so I really wanted them to ride Firehawk.

Not sure what you mean. It will be open for you guys, just won't be the last weekend.

From Twitter

R.I.P. Firehawk. Final rides will begin this weekend, with its last days of operation occurring during the final weekend of Halloween Haunt and The Great Pumpkin Fest, October 26-28.

Reading comprehension, people.

I haven't ridden Firehawk in several years, as I found it a far too uncomfortable ride experience. That said, I certainly won't miss it. Whatever KI installs in place of it will surely be a vast improvement.

Good riddance to a mediocre ride with slow loading.

I really hope the rumor of KK buying it is not true. Haven't heard anything to substantiate aside from the Kentucky Flyer name. This coaster just needs to go away lol.

It scared me too, but that was mostly because I couldn't shake the irrational fear of it falling apart mid-flight! I kept pushing up on the armrests because for some reason I thought that not applying all of my weight to the restraints would help. Really didn't care for any of the Vekoma Flying Dutchman coasters. Whatever is to come is guaranteed to be better.

So wait just to be clear after this weekend Firehawk won’t be open again until the last weekend in October?

I'm pretty sure it's open every weekend (if all goes well) starting this weekend until the end of October. Then it's closed for good.

Damn we’re going to miss it’s last operation weekend by one weekend. Yeah after having to cancel two trips to park over the summer we planned third trip for October which turns out will be the weekend before. I’ve already ridden a Vekoma Flyer(Nighthawk) but none of my friends have ever ridden a one so I really wanted them to ride Firehawk.

Not sure what you mean. It will be open for you guys, just won't be the last weekend.

From Twitter

R.I.P. Firehawk. Final rides will begin this weekend, with its last days of operation occurring during the final weekend of Halloween Haunt and The Great Pumpkin Fest, October 26-28.

Reading comprehension, people.

Yeah I misinterpreted the wording in the article a little bit. Regardless I’m looking forward to finally getting to this park and. I’m already planning on buying fastlane+ (at the park though) since were only going to the park on the 20th and I want to make the most out of it.

Edited by 9Armgeddon4

While I haven't ridden Firehawk, I've ridden Batwing and actually really enjoyed it, so I hope that it gets relocated and not scrapped. That being said, I can't wait to see what replaces its space!

It’s not a smooth B&M but I still really enjoyed my ride on Firehawk. I’ll definitely miss that “oh shit” moment when the first time your life relies on the restraints is 115ft up in the air, and floating through the top of that loop at the back seat and then immediately landing on your back (it’s more punchy than a B&M Pretzel Loop IMO)

The B&M versions load faster, have more forces, don't put people through the elements on their back's for 2/3s of the ride, and don't shake like a Mexican Space Shuttle. I last rode Firehawk in 2009 and I've been to KI like 5-6 times since. I honestly forget the park even has it because it is so out of my consciousness. Being a stan for the Flying Dutchmen is a form of mental illness IMO. The only downside to me is that the 500 or so people who sat in line for that hunk of crap for two hours will need to go somewhere else and occupy other space.

I have only ridden Firehawk at KI once, but X-Flight was butter smooth...Interesting to hear if it was rough at KI. We also had a really awesome maintenance guy at GL that genuinely loved XF, he babied that thing! Was the only ride that got a wheel greasin' (surface of the wheels, not the bearing area) almost every morning, that I know of. They didn't do that on Steel Venom or Dominator or anything. Perhaps a Vekoma requirement lol. Either way, that thing was never rough in the slightest bit at GL.

I have only ridden Firehawk at KI once, but X-Flight was butter smooth...Interesting to hear if it was rough at KI. We also had a really awesome maintenance guy at GL that genuinely loved XF, he babied that thing! Was the only ride that got a wheel greasin' (surface of the wheels, not the bearing area) almost every morning, that I know of. They didn't do that on Steel Venom or Dominator or anything. Perhaps a Vekoma requirement lol. Either way, that thing was never rough in the slightest bit at GL.

I remember back in 2001 having the Vekoma engineers on site before the ride opened to the public and they proved to us you can ride without the vest, fun fun times. The Dutch are insane!