TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Did Firehawk have three trains when it was at Geauga Lake? It's dumb to have a dual loading station for just two trains. Firehawk's capacity is the only drawback for me. It's a fun coaster and I'll take it over a B&M flyer any day.

Yes.. and no. It was designed for 3 and 3 were delivered to the park. But it never ran 3. And the 3rd train quickly turned into a parts train in the first season and was cannibalized over the course of it's life there. It only ran 3 trains for testing, never for the public.

Source: I was a ride op for X-Flight at SFWoA in 2001 the year it opened.

I think they would have a big “going away” for Vortex. It’s not fun to me anymore, but I have great memories from the year it opened. It was the first six loop coaster, and a big deal at the time. Good memories.

Firehawk is fun

I just can't see Vortex being the ride that is removed. It's really popular with the GP, no matter how much enthusiasts love to hate it. Plus it really fits well with the aesthetic of the Coney Mall area with its classic feel. Removing it would really detract from the atmosphere of that area IMO.

Firehawk, on the other hand, is apparently a maintenance nightmare. It has never really fit in well with the Kings Island coaster line up, and I think a lot of people just kind of forget that it's there since it's sort of out of the way. Plus, it's blocking in what could potentially be a pretty large expansion area.

I haven't seen any diagrams of where the Antique Cars are going. If I were shooting from the hip, I'd say that the entrance is going to be between Firehawk and Racer, closer to racer. Firehawk will be removed and next year's B&M will go in its place, which I say has the strong possibility of being a giga. X-Base, or whatever it's called, can always be renamed or removed in general. That could really liven up that awkward area of the park. Of course, all of this is void if anyone has seen any concrete plans for the cars.

The park actually announced the location when they announced the cars return, but they never provided any pictures.

The ride will be located directly on Coney Mall between the old arcade which houses Kill Mart, and the restrooms next to Wind Seeker. It will also extend into about half of the midway and they have already torn down the peach basket game since it will extend that far out. When I was at the park on Sunday, most of the area has been cleared but the giant concrete footer for flight commander still needs to be removed. If I go to the park next weekend I will take a few pictures.

Did Firehawk have three trains when it was at Geauga Lake? It's dumb to have a dual loading station for just two trains. Firehawk's capacity is the only drawback for me. It's a fun coaster and I'll take it over a B&M flyer any day.

You've obviously never ridden NIghthawk at Carowinds and been stuck there on the holding brakes while it took 10 minutes (or more) to dispatch the train in the station. It's not comfortable. Add in the sun? worse. It has a "shade structure". but it's translucent so it still bakes you in the summer heat. There is nothing wrong with Firehawk having a dual load station with only 2 trains.

It's Firehawk.

Check out the description on the official KI page:

Wonder what it’s like to fly? One ride on Firehawk and you’ll know as it takes you more than 115 feet into the air and through five inversions in a flying position, facing the ground and watching everyone and everything below race by in a blue. Once riders are seated, the train seats are tilted backwards into a laying down position and dispatched. The train travels in reverse out of the station, turns left and then travels up the 115-foot life hill at a 33-degree angle. At the top of the lift, it dips down into a twist that turns the trains upside down into a flying position where riders face the ground and experience the unconceivable feeling of flight. Riders fly at speeds up to 51 mph along 3,340 feet of track on Ohio’s only flying coaster. It’s an experienced that you’ll remember for a long, long time!

Firstly it's just awkward, and probably contains more than I'm able to point out at a glance but notice: Blue, life, "unconceivable", experienced

Deliberate misspellings/clues?

Hmm, this is an interesting tweet, I'm thinking Racer, Vortex, or Beast (shall we start donning riot gear now or later if it is Beast?):

Don Helbig

@DonHelbig

Rumors confirmed. A roller coaster will be removed at Kings Island. #KingsIsland #RestInPiecesKI #ItsBigItsGone #RIP2018KI

Of course it's not going to be the Beast.

If it was though. I just...can't imagine what the reaction would be from Cincinnati and the tri-state area. It just wouldn't happen. There would be people coming forward with money, construction/carpentry/engineering skills to help fix it up, anything and everything to keep it going.

The Beast is a staple of Cincinnati right there with Skyline Chili, High School sports, Reds Baseball, and the Crosstown Shootout. That's why KI doesn't even joke about it. I think there's a quote somewhere that immediately shoots down any thought that it's going to be RMC'd.

The Racer and Vortex are right behind the Beast in that mindset, and I'd rather them "Racer 75" the Racer than RMC/GCI it. Racer 75 is in immaculate condition this year.

As for Vortex, I don't know any other steel coaster type other than Python of Efteling that has had a treatment to keep it up. Vortex has a big local following but the current state it's in says a lot. The trains are run down, it needs repainted, and I'm sure there are a handful of other things that need to be redone. That being said whenever I'm at KI it's always running, 3 trains operating, and has a low height requirement.

Weeee shalll seeee...

I see no scenario where Beast is at risk of being removed (anytime soon)... And if it was ever considered, I believe they'd utilize the structure for something more before simply removing it entirely.

I think Firehawk or Vortex are the likely candidates.

I mean... I know people would lose their sh*t. And then they'd get over it when they realize its going to be the best coaster ever.

What's funny is I posted about that on Facebook and asked people to use their imagination as if the Beast was being removed/RMC'd and they won't even think about it, haha. I genuinely want to know what would happen.

It's just a lot of "Firehawk is getting kicked over to the Kentucky side" replies

I just saw Kentucky Kingdom's post. If KI is really selling Firehawk to KK that's going to be one of the most bizarre transactions.

If it's Firehawk (and if maintenance is a factor), I think it's more likely it ends up at Carowinds for parts than anywhere else to operate again. My other (hopefully wrong) guesses are The Bat or Vortex- mostly because of Old Arrow Syndrome, but at this point I'm leaning towards The Bat. I really still just hope Dorney is getting a shiny new-to-them Invertigo again, mostly for comedic purposes.

You've obviously never ridden NIghthawk at Carowinds and been stuck there on the holding brakes while it took 10 minutes (or more) to dispatch the train in the station. It's not comfortable. Add in the sun? worse. It has a "shade structure". but it's translucent so it still bakes you in the summer heat. There is nothing wrong with Firehawk having a dual load station with only 2 trains.

I haven't been on Nighthawk, but I've been stuck on Firehawk's lift hill and brake run. The sun was beating on me both times, but that didn't make me hate the ride. Everyone likes and dislikes rides for different reasons. Nothing wrong with that. The dual loading station is wasted on two trains. The slow dispatch doesn't help either. Agree to disagree.

I mean... I know people would lose their sh*t. And then they'd get over it when they realize its going to be the best coaster ever.

What's funny is I posted about that on Facebook and asked people to use their imagination as if the Beast was being removed/RMC'd and they won't even think about it, haha. I genuinely want to know what would happen.

It's just a lot of "Firehawk is getting kicked over to the Kentucky side" replies

I just saw Kentucky Kingdom's post. If KI is really selling Firehawk to KK that's going to be one of the most bizarre transactions.

EDIT:

giphy.gif

I haven't been on Nighthawk, but I've been stuck on Firehawk's lift hill and brake run. The sun was beating on me both times, but that didn't make me hate the ride. Everyone likes and dislikes rides for different reasons. Nothing wrong with that. The dual loading station is wasted on two trains. The slow dispatch doesn't help either. Agree to disagree.

The dual station is actually very helpful so you aren’t wasting away on the brake run for 10 minutes. If two trains stack with one station, two stations isn’t a waste. Plus, when I was last at the park, one station was designated for Fast Lane which worked well I thought.

I guess it's the new par for the course that every time a new coaster is mentioned there's talk of RMC converting a wooden coaster to a hybrid, even in this case where there's really no justification for it.

As much as I think this will be Firehawk first, with Vortex being my second guess, it's still in the back of my head that The Bat has a realistic chance of being on the chopping block. Although I don't think it's going to happen, it wouldn't be the shock of the century.

I'm still stuck between Vortex and Firehawk...

I think one thing that's being overlooked is that Firehawk just flat out looks like shit. It's pretty much unheard of for Cedar Fair to let rides get to the point where the old paint is showing through everywhere and actively giving rides like Superman at Great Adventure a run for their money when it comes to overwhelming ugliness.

It's got to be at the point where they need to spend the money to paint it and while that won't be the driving factor in the desire to remove it it could help give them an extra nudge in that direction if it was ever seriously discussed anyway. It's appearance is likely also an indication of how the park views the ride in general.

On the other hand; removing Vortex is also pretty sensible and the line about the air being eerily calm is pretty on the nose. You could make that apply to the Bat or Firehawk but it's quite a stretch to do so.

Another interesting thing to note is that the park has decided to open up the area by Vortex and Firehawk for Winterfest this year (for the first time) which seems weird if they're expecting them to be active construction sites right away so I feel like whatever they're doing is going to follow Cedar Fair's new trend of closing rides super early and taking their time with construction of a replacement so it sort of doubles as a convenient budget cut. Obviously I could be wrong, but a coaster that's being torn apart with heavy equipment and unsightly debris everywhere within plain sight of guest areas (especially in the case of Vortex) is probably not the festive atmosphere they're going for for Winterfest.

My main counterpoint to removing Vortex for a new attraction is why put a new anchor attraction there?

Even if Vortex is expendable (which I am in the keep-your-hand-off-of-Vortex-camp), I'm presuming we're talking about taking out a coaster and using that real estate for a new anchor attraction.

Vortex is neighborhood by Beast and a straight walkway down to Diamondback. Does it make sense to put what will be the park's biggest draw right in the middle when there is so much space to build at Kings Island already? Park flow/traffic has to be a heavy consideration in planning (more than we think).

Kings Island would be foolish to gut the second biggest attraction in Coney Mall (Vortex), but I don't think they'd put the park's best attraction there as a replacement either. Doesn't make much sense.

Beast.thumb.png.9284b5aa7406697ebb607668788c2148.png

Edited by vertigomike