TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

It's so interesting to see those Tomb Raider seats just lying around! Ugh, what I would give to experience that amazing ride again...

Also, does anyone happen to know more information about Flight of Fear's train situation? I find it so strange that the coaster opened with 4 six-car trains, and now they only run 2 five-car trains. Kings Island as a whole has pretty great operations, usually operating every ride at full capacity, and Flight of Fear is one of the more popular coasters in the park. Why would they only convert 2 of the trains to lap-bars only and shorten them? It seems bizarre.

I don't think those are the old restraints, they look like the seats for Tomb Raider/Crypt based on the color and shape. Could be wrong, though!

You are definitely right. Those are HUSS restraints, for sure.

Good catch! You can tell from the pics a few posts above that Flight of fear had green restraints. I never even questioned it. I just saw discarded OTSR seats in the flight of fear bowl and assumed they were from that ride.

Today was a great day to be at the park. Unfortunately we only made it there for the last hour and a half, but park was absolutely dead! We walked right onto Mystic Timbers twice, Diamondback, Firehawk, Flight of Fear, Banshee, and Invertigo. I definitely don’t think I’ll be riding invertigo again lol. Last time I rode it I almost passed out and today it just was painful and made me so dizzy lol. The coaster queue website said the lines were really short and it was right!

Id love to ride FOF with the lights on

I was able to do that a couple times in the early 2000's at a Coaster Enthusiast event, and it was cool, I guess. Still, I think it's a better ride BECAUSE of the lights being off, so I'm glad that's the typical operation.

Anybody heading to Kings Island tomorrow? My husband and I have season passes this year and will be there for a few hours at least. Is the 30 minute early entry worth it? It looks to be a nice day for a change in the area and was also wondering if school groups would be there?

Interesting development...

Fred Grub from RMC, was just seen walking around the racer.

Photo is courtesy of Cedarpoint history.

Looks like he's leaving a new "marker" on that wall.

I thought this guy was taking a....... nevermind...

Lol...i was thinking the same thing.

Having seen the entire photo and not just the cropped version. Fred is walking with Greg Scheid who is the former GM of Kings Island and is currently the regional VP of Cedar Fair. He oversees several parks and his office is at Kings Island. This could be something as simple as just wanting to get out of the office while they are discussing a new ride for one of the other parks Greg oversees, or maybe a ride which already opened this year. Having said that I actually have no idea what parks are part of the region but both KI and CP are.

Assuming they are discussing an RMC attraction for Kings Island. I cannot see a conversion to any existing wooden coasters at Kings Island, unless they just do a track replacement with topper track to reduce the cost of maintenance. If it is a new attraction likely either a new ground up wooden coaster, maybe a hyper as a replacement for Son of Beast, or a T-Rex. I have my doubts that they are discussing a ride for Kings Island, but it is the right time to be getting things ready for a 2020 coaster.

Was at Kings Island on Wednesday and Thursday this past week. Park seem to have a lot of foot traffic but the lines were not longer than 10 minutes other than flight of fear and fire hawk. Operations were good at this park. Spent about 5-6 hours each day at the park. I think I preferred Diamondback over Mystic Timbers as the best coaster in the park although it was close. I know I prefer Ghostrider over mystic Timbers. Rode all coasters that were open. Blue side of racer was not operating.

Well first visit to KI was a success. Quiet day. Basically barely any wait on everything. Did everything multiple times if wanted. Was surprised by Beast, better than I expected and did get the infamous night ride. Sucks they had to close it for fireworks so what was a walk on ended up a 45 min wait, but yeah unexpectedly good ride. Mystic Timbers was sick. Possibly my favorite at the park. Banshee was a close second, and Diamondback was great though less air than I expected. The operations were superb. Why the hell can't every park always run 3 trains even if Quiet? The lines were so small and the actual loading operations were quick. Many places could take a lesson from here.

Kings Island always seems to be overlooked in discussions about parks with great operations, but they’ve been pretty outstanding for years now (with the exception of Flight of Fear...)