TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

For anyone who is a frequent visitor or familiar with Kings Island, how are weekday crowds at the very end of May? I'm planning on visiting on Thursday May 31 and am wondering if its going to be crowded enough to justify getting Fast Lane. Of course I'll play it by ear and see how crowds are when I get there, but if lines for major rides are 30 minutes or less for then I feel I won't need Fast Lane. I plan to be there all day with a friend who's never been but I've been there once before so the only new thing for me will be Mystic Timbers.

Ok, so now that the deadline for Coasterstock has passed, and I failed to be proactive enough to get anybody else to go with me, I'm wondering if anybody from here is planning on going, and going to be solo as well? I'd be interested in both splitting a hotel room if you were up for it, and also spending the days riding together. Feel free to PM me, or post below if this sounds fun to you!

(A group of three needing a fourth would work as well!)

DLinator, we've got a group of three guys (me, freefalling45, and Richard a.k.a. richjabb) going to Coasterstock booked for Thursday and Friday night. Feel free to PM about joining us.

Thanks for the invite to join you! I PM'd you back!

Anyone know when schools start back in August? I'm assuming it's early since KI goes down to Fri-Sun operation the last couple weeks of August. Looking to reschedule my trip and I want to be there 2 days, either 17-18 or 24-25. Will be budgeting for Fast Lane on Saturday, but hoping for a Friday with lower attendance.

I think it's safe to say that most of the students in the area go back the week of August 12. Mason goes back on the 14th, Lakota on the 15th, Kings on the 15th, and Sycamore on the 15th. And the Catholic schools probably start earlier.

Perfect, thanks so much!

That is great to hear! Looks like KI is getting it together!

KI appears to have gotten better every year since my first visit the year before Banshee. Most people seem to share this opinion.

Just another reason for me to make it back here. My only visit was in 2013, and to see how much the park has added / grown since then is amazing.

Ok, so now that the deadline for Coasterstock has passed, and I failed to be proactive enough to get anybody else to go with me, I'm wondering if anybody from here is planning on going, and going to be solo as well? I'd be interested in both splitting a hotel room if you were up for it, and also spending the days riding together. Feel free to PM me, or post below if this sounds fun to you!

(A group of three needing a fourth would work as well!)

DLinator, we've got a group of three guys (me, freefalling45, and Richard a.k.a. richjabb) going to Coasterstock booked for Thursday and Friday night. Feel free to PM about joining us.

Just so you know, I responded to your last PM early Sunday morning, and just did again, but I realized they are both still in my Outbox, appearing to have not been sent. If they don't arrive soon, we'll just have to exchange numbers or something, to communicate. Just wanted to let you know I wasn't ignoring your last message!

Having said that, and having just taken a gander at the weather forecast for both days there, I'm leaning towards just writing off the $41 as sunk cost, and saving the hundreds of dollars I'd be spending by going. Sorry to possibly back out... I'll try and decide in the next day or so for sure.

What would crowds be like on Monday the 21st? Looking at the weather, it may not be a good day to go. But we wouldn't be going to the park until later in the afternoon. Around 2 or 3 and wouldn't even probably stay until the park closed. We just happen to be making a day trip and have to pass the park on our way home. Since we have passes, just figured it would be worth trying to make it.

Just a quick post about Coaster Stock. I was there yesterday, and will be there today too. The weather was poor at best, but the park and staff were great! Lot's of hustle and personality from the ride-ops there. That's been my experience with this park, unlike it's big brother to the north. I hope the weather is better today, but as of now the forecast says no.

A question was brought up at our lunch yesterday to the G.M. Why doesn't the park allow re-rides??? He said he wasn't sure, but will check into it. Even that's a good response.

^It's definitely easier to keep track of as many ride ops neglect to click the turnstiles for the re-riders at Valleyfair (Something I've done before as well a time or two like when a group had a bumper cars marathon at the end of the night). And that skews ridership numbers. I'm curious what other reasons might be for that policy.

Hey guys. Just wrapped up coasterstock and I highly recommend attending if you haven't before. What a great event! One of the coolest events was a lights-on tour of Flight of Fear. I figured a few of you may want a glimpse of the coaster that is otherwise unphotographable!

20180519_091334.thumb.jpg.7e295a48e606865eef799d87b336dba5.jpg

The corkscrew at the very end of the ride

20180519_091418.thumb.jpg.23f3c222d8a3709491feded95a505c0f.jpg

Looking down the return tunnel into the bowl

20180519_091712.thumb.jpg.18455cc9e220d37ae7c6ad11cc8fa038.jpg

A twisted mess of track

20180519_091726.thumb.jpg.d399ac0ad1e4115cde4f3ec4d88f9895.jpg

20180519_091801.thumb.jpg.b81d98c19cb1ec80ed449efd9ef0ba31.jpg

20180519_091846.thumb.jpg.c27655f4bb1df02050e5201b6302c71f.jpg

You can pick out the giant cobra roll that is the first element after the launch

20180519_092120.thumb.jpg.b0e6bc94e027e7143aaedec2d957282b.jpg

Maintainence dept humor?

20180519_092348.thumb.jpg.b372a62f3cfc09c29a9f767385429b6d.jpg

The old OTSRs are just rotting away along the side (no sign of the old King Cobra cars!)

20180519_092509.thumb.jpg.7ded2e25f8b1d9f4778703e164724065.jpg

20180519_092519.thumb.jpg.a0d692ef9eea47451ca8a66ce6db53c3.jpg

Floor view of a whole lots supports

20180519_092529.thumb.jpg.9ffded77afeeff2583aee5a8c92b658f.jpg

A look straight up to the ceiling

20180519_092708.thumb.jpg.e82938bac1c65c0af86eaa98ceba65f1.jpg

20180519_092751.thumb.jpg.5c4aa0b3dba45c01a6051abf6316c99a.jpg

20180519_093021.thumb.jpg.f8b67316ab61181ed97e8ee14fd37eca.jpg

That blur is a train plunging down towards us

20180519_093321.thumb.jpg.bba80dcf54da6cd225acf36b6681978e.jpg

And a look up the launch tunnel from the back of the building

Coasterstock this year was a blast! Being my second time there, this year's event absolutely blew the first one out of the water. Getting the tour of the Flight of Fear show building was especially cool by itself, but the moment they surprised up with sending trains was icing on the cake! Got to meet some awesome folks along the way as well.

For anyone who is a frequent visitor or familiar with Kings Island, how are weekday crowds at the very end of May? I'm planning on visiting on Thursday May 31 and am wondering if its going to be crowded enough to justify getting Fast Lane. Of course I'll play it by ear and see how crowds are when I get there, but if lines for major rides are 30 minutes or less for then I feel I won't need Fast Lane. I plan to be there all day with a friend who's never been but I've been there once before so the only new thing for me will be Mystic Timbers.

I will actually be there the same day. From what I've heard on here, FL+ is pretty essential to a good King's Island visit. But, it would be nice if the park was chill and we didn't need it.

Coaster Stock was great this year… Glad the weather behaved for the ERT both nights (we didn’t do morning ERT or the mid-day events/tours) compared to last year where due to storms we lost over an hour of ERT the one night.

Mystic Timbers is still running as good as it was brand new, which is awesome. Wondering how it was going to hold up, even short term. Still love that ride, so much fun!

Beast was running fantastic as well. First night due to haze/low clouds it wasn’t as dark due to light pollution in the woods, but Saturday night it was clearer and a bit darker which was awesome.

Still one of my favorite events… A low key, nice crowd that doesn’t hinder by being too busy. Wish the park would allow re-rides during ERT, but that’s about it. Especially considering how dead it is at each ride.

Is anyone at the park today? We are on a bit of a road trip and are passing by. Since we have platinum passes we figured we would stop by. Just curious about the wait times? I checked coaster queue but I’m not sure I fully trust it to have the most current wait times lol.

Thanks!

If they auctioned off a chance to burn those OTSR's instead of just letting them rot they would have enough money for a new coaster!

Yea, the otsr trains made this ride brutal. On a side note, we did a tour of flight of fear a few years ago, and they had a bunch of the old train cars from the ride just sitting around. I wonder what happened to them?