TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Of course, there's also still the potential for that 300+ft Intamin/RMC/B&M we've all been waiting for.

*enters dream land*

With the massive success of Fury, to include ride popularity, aesthetic value, and reliability, and capacity, I can't imagine why CF wouldn't go with another B&M for any added giga in the chain. If KI ever does get a giga, I just hope they don't plop it in a completely ugly empty field like they did with I305. It's almost like they treated it like a step child.

*back to reality*

• Replies 19.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get over it man.  You've made your point and we get it; it's silly that this park did not do a Winterfest-lite.  Make the 8 hour drive to KD if you want to experience that, just like all of us with KD

My visit this past weekend was great, even with Saturday being very busy and me missing out on FL until Sunday.    I went into Orion not having followed its construction or watched a POV or even

At the risk of veering off topic, people are just incredibly selective in what causes of death they choose to care about. People only care if it's high-profile, tragic accident, something new and scar

Posted Images

"The Sweet Spot will feature a new flavor every Tuesday, and they are getting creative.

There's ranch. And jalapeno. And onion."

Of cotton candy. Noooo thanks! Dragon fruit? Sure!

ki.thumb.JPG.5a4166296406d5cc054caaa5ddad5dd8.JPG

Credit to eschwartzberg

Anyone have any idea how many riders rode Mystic Timbers last year? (and the ridership numbers for all the KI coasters)

Here we are! Very good numbers!

A77FC2BD-BC9A-47C8-A331-32C737A9DEF6.thumb.jpeg.90a2b98860cae461c3c9ba3af2986d92.jpeg

Anyone have any idea how many riders rode Mystic Timbers last year? (and the ridership numbers for all the KI coasters)

thumb_a77fc2bd-bc9a-47c8-a331-32c737a9def6.jpeg

Great numbers! When taking about throughput it should obviously be noted that the coasters aren't all on a level playing field though. Mystic Timbers had a massive advantage. If I remember correctly, Diamondback and Mystic Timbers had a daily 30 minute Early Entry for half the year and then Banshee and Mystic Timbers got it the other half so just during the regular season Mystic Timbers had a lot more operating time than everything else as it got a full season of Early Entry.

Then (possibly more importantly), Mystic Timbers was the only coaster operating for about 25-30 nights during Winterfest.

The numbers are great for a wood coaster and I don't want to take anything away from that, but they did have way more operating time than anything else. I'm sort of more impressed with the Beast numbers. Great job by that crew. It's also a testament to the popularity of the ride. Racer only beat it by 200,000 riders despite having a theoretical capacity of 24 additional riders per cycle and the exact same style of train.

Since my second trip of summer falls toward the middle/end of August , looks like KI will have to be a Friday/Saturday thing. If we arrive Thursday August 16th in the afternoon/evening and get 3-4 hours in the park, do ERT on Friday and spend all day, then do ERT and FL+ on Saturday, I'm assuming we'll be able to get multiples on all the good stuff?

My daughter and I have little interest in flats and will be riding mostly coasters, skipping Wild Mouse, kiddie coasters, boomerangs and other clones unless they are really good coasters. Mainly looking at getting multiple rides on Diamondback, The Beast, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers. We will probably skip Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster unless they offer a different experience than the ones at KD, as we will make multiple trips there this year.

We are flexible and can bail early if we've ridden our favorites enough and can head to CP a day or half-day sooner than expected. So if the FL makes more sense on Friday, we can do that.

Since my second trip of summer falls toward the middle/end of August , looks like KI will have to be a Friday/Saturday thing. If we arrive Thursday August 16th in the afternoon/evening and get 3-4 hours in the park, do ERT on Friday and spend all day, then do ERT and FL+ on Saturday, I'm assuming we'll be able to get multiples on all the good stuff?

My daughter and I have little interest in flats and will be riding mostly coasters, skipping Wild Mouse, kiddie coasters, boomerangs and other clones unless they are really good coasters. Mainly looking at getting multiple rides on Diamondback, The Beast, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers. We will probably skip Flight of Fear and Backlot Stunt Coaster unless they offer a different experience than the ones at KD, as we will make multiple trips there this year.

We are flexible and can bail early if we've ridden our favorites enough and can head to CP a day or half-day sooner than expected. So if the FL makes more sense on Friday, we can do that.

Thursday evening + all day Friday while skipping the clones is more than enough time to get as many rides on the big 4 as you want. Unless weather slows you down, you could plan on leaving to CP Saturday morning. I bet FL is cheaper on Friday too, but you might not need it since the 4 coaster you mentioned have great capacity and ops. It's very possible that they only have a 15 minute wait all day. Plan on FL on Friday if you see those lines inflate to 20 minutes and give yourself some extra time at CP.

Best case: Tons of rides Thursday night/you don't need FL on Friday and you can get use it at CP on Saturday!

Worst case: You can't get in on Thursday and you do Friday/Sat FL at Kings Island.

It's almost worth debating whether or not you'd want to be at CP on a Saturday, but mid-late August could make it tolerable...

^Thanks for the feedback. I thought about adding The Henry Ford Museum or Rock n Roll Hall of Fame to the itinerary if we didn't want to do CP on a Saturday. Both involve a little extra driving and backtracking to CP but are pretty cool stops that my daughter has never visited.

I just looked up Firehawk and we will be visiting its clone at SFA earlier in the summer so we can skip that one as well, assuming SFA will not be nearly as crowded as KI. I see mixed reviews of Flying Dutchmen here but i rather enjoyed Nighthawk at Carowinds. That leaves the Beast being the only ride on FL+ that would really matter as we can do two days of ERT with Mystic Timbers and Diamondback. So we may just FL on Friday and leave Saturday open to whatever.

And looks like there is an exclusive ride night on Steel Vengeance on Tuesday August 21. I'm sure Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday will be enough time at CP if we FL or FL+ at least one day.

^I personally loved Firehawk a hell of a lot more than the one crappy ride I got on Nighthawk.

thumb_a77fc2bd-bc9a-47c8-a331-32c737a9def6.jpeg

Great numbers! When taking about throughput it should obviously be noted that the coasters aren't all on a level playing field though. Mystic Timbers had a massive advantage. If I remember correctly, Diamondback and Mystic Timbers had a daily 30 minute Early Entry for half the year and then Banshee and Mystic Timbers got it the other half so just during the regular season Mystic Timbers had a lot more operating time than everything else as it got a full season of Early Entry.

Then (possibly more importantly), Mystic Timbers was the only coaster operating for about 25-30 nights during Winterfest.

The numbers are great for a wood coaster and I don't want to take anything away from that, but they did have way more operating time than anything else. I'm sort of more impressed with the Beast numbers. Great job by that crew. It's also a testament to the popularity of the ride. Racer only beat it by 200,000 riders despite having a theoretical capacity of 24 additional riders per cycle and the exact same style of train.

I'm surprised Firehawk didn't top the list last year.

Just kidding. Obviously.

We rope-dropped Nighthawk at Scarowinds b/c we were in the front of the pack at entry and my daughter said the ops sucked. We will certainly give Firehawk a shot if we get all the others in and multiple rides on the big ones.

My daughter has hated every Arrow looper except Loch Ness Monster but I loved them all. Looking forward to Vortex and a couple of other new-to-me ones this summer.

Ah, traveler, thou hast, perhaps unbeknownst, asked the most important question of thy life. For the Beast is a magical coaster and respondeth well to thy incantation.

First, wait for sundown. Go not to the Beast when the sun be in the midst of setting, nay! Gird thy patience and when 'tis full dark, set thy sight upon the front row. Mount the Beast in this row alone, and thou wilt engage the spell.

Know I well thou wilt hardly understand my words at this time. Take heed and trust in them, and in due time, should thou follow them as written, then shalt thou understand their true meaning.

I'm going tomorrow too, and I went last last year at this time and Mystic Timbers was the only really long line. Everything else was either a walk on or 15-20 minute wait at the most. But the weather is supposed to be very nice so it wouldn't surprise me if the waits are longer.

Ah, traveler, thou hast, perhaps unbeknownst, asked the most important question of thy life. For the Beast is a magical coaster and respondeth well to thy incantation.

First, wait for sundown. Go not to the Beast when the sun be in the midst of setting, nay! Gird thy patience and when 'tis full dark, set thy sight upon the front row. Mount the Beast in this row alone, and thou wilt engage the spell.

Know I well thou wilt hardly understand my words at this time. Take heed and trust in them, and in due time, should thou follow them as written, then shalt thou understand their true meaning.

This was great! Beast front row in the dark should be a bucketlist experience for anybody.

Kings Island is a funny place because they pride themselves on having these awesome coasters you MUST night-ride, but then they're hardly ever open late enough that it's actually dark. Or if it is, you only have time for one dark ride. I think it's where the park is situated in the time zone sunset in summer is like 9 and it doesn't get dark until 9:30 or later, but it's pretty unfortunate.

I still want to try Mystic Timbers and Banshee at night. I guess I need to visit on one of the 7 days the park is open until midnight (Saturday's in July)

PS - I would definitely be down for trying the jalapeno, butter, ranch and onion cotton candy!

Lol wow. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KI is probably my favorite park considering the line-up, distance from home, beer availability (no beer prison), and their fast lane system.

If you do a few hours on one evening and then a full day of FL+ you will have your fill. Even if the park isn't very crowded, I still suggest getting FL+. You'll ride anything you want anytime you want. Even for popular attractions like the big four, you'll walk directly to the station and be on the ride in a couple minutes. The groupers are also great at taking seat requests. It will make your FL+ experience at Cedar Point disappointing.

Even if crowds are somewhat sparse there will still be several times where waits will be 20-30 minutes on popular rides, with likely steady 30+ minute waits on Mystic Timers and possibly Beast. You'll second guess yourself in the morning when the park won't be too crowded, but it will pay off later in the day. It's damn near a VIP experience at large CF parks like KI, CW, and KD, in that order. Unless the weather is going to look like complete sh***, go for it. I also suggest Fun Pix.

I still want to try Mystic Timbers and Banshee at night. I guess I need to visit on one of the 7 days the park is open until midnight (Saturday's in July)

We're planning our first ever 'guys trip' for one of those Saturdays. Aside from that, if you go for The Haunt and buy a FL+ you'll still be on all coasters within a couple minutes and you have about 5-6 hours of night rides. It's great.

Another reason I like FL+ at KI is that even on long days you can still grab a night ride on the top four and possibly a couple on Beast.

A video I stumbled across that shows Dinasaurs Alive closed, and Possible land clearing? Has anyone seen what is going on?