TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

^ No introductory cost, Zach. I just went and dug out the paperwork and here are the main highlights...

* You receive 3 HH points for every dollar you spend (unless used for fees, charges, cash advances, etc)

* You receive 4 additional points (7 total points) for each dollar charged directly to a Hilton entity

* You receive 2 additional points (5 total points) for each dollar spent in restaurants, grocery stores and gas stations that are not affiliated as warehouse stores (IE: Costco, Sam's Club, etc)

* You forfeit your accrued monthly points if you make a late payment

* No annual membership fee

* 18.99% variable for purchases, balance transfers and cash advances (I don't use these and pay off in full each month, like you do)

* Late payment fee up to $38

One of the downsides that I could possibly see is that people have complained in the past how Amex isn't as widely accepted as Visa and Master Card. Guess that I will find out now!

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get over it man.  You've made your point and we get it; it's silly that this park did not do a Winterfest-lite.  Make the 8 hour drive to KD if you want to experience that, just like all of us with KD

My visit this past weekend was great, even with Saturday being very busy and me missing out on FL until Sunday.    I went into Orion not having followed its construction or watched a POV or even

I went the weekend before last and wasn't going to do any sort of report or review, but with this discussion, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I thought Orion was fantastic.  Millennium Force is th

Posted Images

You sound like you're not a hotel snob like a lot of these peeps on here ( ), so I'm sure you'll be pleased with it!

Guilty... I am glad to hear the Super 8 has made a turn-around, since it will give members a cheaper place to stay.

The funny thing is I feel like I'm starting to get drawn to the "dark side" of hotel snobbery myself, based on some of my recent stays in some nice establishments! I guess it's kind of one of those things where once you "go there", it's hard to go back! A jetted tub is becoming a must have, and free alcoholic drinks seems reasonable as well!

^It's easy to get sucked in. Before you know it, you'll be buying snazzy rewards cards like Phil and I.

Most of me being a hotel snob comes from my job. I have seen a lot of utter disgust in lower end hotels, including cramming ten people in one twin bed room for a month, heroin dens, and prime places to sell meth. Sure, there are disgusting things that take place in nicer hotels, but it happens a lot less than at your average Days Inn.

^It's easy to get sucked in. Before you know it, you'll be buying snazzy rewards cards like Phil and I.

Most of me being a hotel snob comes from my job. I have seen a lot of utter disgust in lower end hotels, including cramming ten people in one twin bed room for a month, heroin dens, and prime places to sell meth. Sure, there are disgusting things that take place in nicer hotels, but it happens a lot less than at your average Days Inn.

We hit up a Super 8 one time coming back from Florida on I-77 just North of Charlotte and were greeted by a young Indian boy of about 10 that checked us in because he said that his Dad "had stepped out."

We had a room out back and were greeted by "country folk" that were just hanging in front of their room drinking - it seemed pretty obvious that they were "regulars". We were getting the eye enough to where we grabbed all our sh&t, locked the vehicle, went into the room, locked the door and never went out again for the rest of the night.

The carpet was sticky and we heard things during the night that I hope that I never hear in a motel again.

So yeah...between that experience and the one at the Rodeway Inn in Sandusky, that sold us on paying the extra money for the Hampton Inn, Courtyards & Hilton Garden Inn.

On a good note, I just went after work and got gas, a 12 pack of Southern Tier and a trip to the liquor store for Manhattan stuff...and it all went on the Amex card.

Who knew that my drinking habit could reap such wonderful rewards?

Yeah, totally with you on that. I hear about a lot of these incidents in my job, yeah different from actually experiencing them I know, but I've learned to avoid some places based on many, many horrifying stories.

Hey friends... planning an Ohio trip for the week after Memorial Day and would like some advice.

1. Is this a smart week to be at King's Island, or will it be crazy? I have no problem paying for Fast Lane, but would just like to know.

2. Is it better to fly into Cincinnati or Columbus? One is closer, but are traffic patterns better one way vs the other? I would be arriving in the late afternoon.

1. Is this a smart week to be at King's Island, or will it be crazy? I have no problem paying for Fast Lane, but would just like to know.

In my experience, if there was ever a park to buy a FL+ and walk right to the station almost every time, it's this park. We buy one regardless, just based on the awesome experience. Although we usually only go on Saturdays, anymore.

As far as the crowds go, it depends on what week day you're going. I would say once you get past Monday and Tuesday it might be business as usual. Someone else might be able to weigh in more.

Kings Island pretty heavily has the crowds dictated by weather as it seems most of their crowd is pass holders. I have gone on some of these holidays and it wasn't bad at all and others we just turned around and left before going in.

^FL+ any day, everyday! Seriously, I know I don't STFU about it, but when you have a packed park during the haunt and can still get on most rides within 5 minutes, it's a phenomenal experience.

^FL+ any day, everyday! Seriously, I know I don't STFU about it, but when you have a packed park during the haunt and can still get on most rides within 5 minutes, it's a phenomenal experience.

FL+ is worth is just for all you want night rides on Beast alone, when I went last summer I had FL+ but only really used it for Mystic Timbers, Beast, FOF and Nighthawk, everything else was prettt much a walk on.

+1

We have used FL+ every time we have gone to the park, and even on the most packed days we are usually on the ride within 5 minutes! It gives allows you to ride EVERYTHING you want to ride, and gives you the chance to ride them probably more times than you want!! It's well worth the small fee!!

I'm going to Kings Island with my boyfriend for the first time in my life next month (despite living close enough to have gone at least once by now) and my boyfriend bought FL+ passes. I've never understood the point of them unless you live far away and are only visiting the park for one day.

The Beast, Banshee, Mystic Timbers, Diamondback, and The Bat are all excellent night rides (and excellent during the day, but also improve the most at night).

Kings Island is one of the best parks in the world for night rides, and depending on crowds and park close it's difficult to get to all of those at night, but I'd prioritize in that order. From my recollection The Beast always has a massive line at night, but Banshee can get pretty dead the last 90 minutes.

Someone mentioned night rides on The Beast... Are there any other rides that I should make sure to include a night ride on?

You're going the week after memorial day, you're only going to get one night ride because the park is so far west in the time zone that it won't be fully dark until like 9:30. Get in line for the Beast about 45 minutes before park close, maybe a little more. You want to get in line late enough that it's dark when you get on the ride but early enough that you can get a front seat ride and they won't make you get in the next available row. The ride will suspend operations about 9:30 for fireworks, though the queue stays open but not a lot of people get in it and you need a sizeable line to build up behind you to guarantee you a front seat night ride.

If you have Fastlane you still want to get in that line early so you have enough people behind you that you can get in the front but you can go a little later than 9:15.

There are a lot of great night rides at the park but personally I don't care because the Beast is on another level.

Great advice you guys, thank you! It's my first visit to KI, so any other tips would be appreciated. I keep thinking of random questions at random times... FYI, My current plan is to spend a Wednesday evening at the park, then most of Thursday (until about 7 or 8), then drive up to Cedar Point for Friday there.

PARK QUESTIONS:

1. Is there a certain order that seems to work best for hitting the attractions? I'm not opposed to FL+ since I'm getting in for free, but am hesitant to pre-purchase if I don't end up needing it.

2. Are there any non-coaster things that you think capture the spirit of the park that I should be sure not to miss?

3. Live shows that tend to be really good?

4. Unique traditions to either observe or partake in?

5. Unique food? I do know about the blueberry ice cream.

COASTER QUESTIONS:

1. Overall, I dislike jerky/rough coasters. I know Beast is obviously not going to be a picnic, but it's essential so I will deal with it. Any tips for minimizing discomfort on Beast and overall?

2. Diamondback's trains are so long, I'm guessing the ride is extremely different front vs. back. What's that comparison like?

So stoked for my trip!