TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

To all those wanting to see Diamondback open in Winterfest: How would it even run? Doesn't it rely on splash brakes, unlike any other US B&M hyper?

Well if Great Adventure can get Nitro to run when it's 20 degrees out, I think Kings Island could manage Diamondback in the cold. Simply swap all the running wheels with the harder nylon set and pray like crazy that the first few test runs of the day make it around the track... Great Adventure style.

Regarding the splashdown, that's the tricky part because the pool most likely would freeze during Winterfest. Maybe a trim could be added in place of the splashdown? And then the trim could be removed during the regular operating season when the splashdown is utilized.

Re: the splashdown - Maybe they could swap out the "scoops" for some sort of icepicks. Then simply fill the pool, let it freeze and fire that b*tch up. Add some spotlights and you got yourself a really neat looking ice spray that would work splendidly for a holiday visual element.

Diamondback's water feature is used as breaking, though it ran without before, it also makes the breaks work harder, at least that's my interpretation.

I am completely certain that the water does not break the ride. Not once have I ever seen the train shatter into pieces after hitting the water.

Diamondback's water feature is used as breaking, though it ran without before, it also makes the breaks work harder, at least that's my interpretation.

I believe the initial brakes on the brake run are magnetic, so I don't see how that would cause any additional wear or make the brakes work harder. I would be willing to bet the splash down only shaves a couple miles per hour off of the train, anyway.

The fins cause a break in the water to brake the train very little and the train won't break from additional brake speed. I hope I didn't break your concentration, but I wanted to take a breakin the conversation to explain that the lack of water brakes won't break the brakes.

Either way, I'm with Boldikus. Ice pick that shit!

Busch Gardens has a (rather high) operating temperature of 42 degrees for their B&Ms. I believe that's more likely the reason. Verbolten and Invadr have a 36 degree operating temperature (per the website) so they run more often.

Yes... I was holding back laughter as I wrote that, but everyone knows my stance so I won't re-hash it.

As you can see, the ride did not explode. I'm sure Diamondback would be the same way.

*Also, it's "brakes", dumbass.

Do the Chinese clones of Sheikra even have the water scoop part? Not sure the one going up in Korea will either considering it's at a 365-day park which is open on a lot of days when the temp is below freezing.

^The SheiKra clone at Happy Valley Shanghai definitely has the splash effect. The other large scale dive coasters in Asia (at Chimelong Paradise and at Happy Valley Chengdu) seem to all have it too.

Looking at the renderings for the one going up in Korea at Gyeongju World, it seems to me that this one will also have the splash effect. It will be interesting to see what they will do when it's freezing, though.

I like your optimism. I'm just inclined to believe the park has such a solid line-up that it doesn't need to build a 300 foot giant, like Carowinds did. Diamondback does a great job at being the park's signature large scale intense coaster, with Beast and Banshee supporting that roll strongly. Diamondback is also a tad higher than a lot of B&M Hypers and it offers pretty strong forces throughout the whole ride.

It would be a dream come true for my favorite and closest CF park to get a giga, but I believe it would be a better strategy for that 30 million dollar investment to be spread out among parks that are in need of a new thrilling coaster like WoF, Valley Fair, etc.

I have a hunch it will. Maybe not in the next couple of years, but I’m inclined to believe a B&M giga will come before too long.

The lowercase "i" clearly stands for Intamin.

(I mean if you're gonna get your hopes up, might as well get them all the way up)