TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

I hope to see a giga in the next 3 years.

A man can dream, but I don't think a giga will happen. It's just not necessary with as well rounded of a line-up the park has.

In that case, what type of coaster do you think the park will add next? I'd be content with a giga or dive coaster. I guess it's possible for them to add an RMC, although Mystic Timbers was just added and the GP might just view that as another wooden coaster.

I know Kings Island is quite a few years away from a new major coaster, but if HangTime goes over well at Knott's, I'd love to see Kings Island get a Gerstlauer Infinity. The park could use some type of vertical lift/beyond vertical drop/dive coaster, if we're talking "holes" in the line-up. They are already so well-rounded as is.

^I don't see it happening, but who knows. Seems a little small scale for King's Island. I personally think it will be a lot longer than a few years before KI gets the next coaster. Whatever it is, it will likely compliment CP'S line-up, as opposed to competing with it.

^I don't see it happening, but who knows. Seems a little small scale for King's Island. I personally think it will be a lot longer than a few years before KI gets the next coaster. Whatever it is, it will likely compliment CP'S line-up, as opposed to competing with it.

I was thinking the same thing. If the park gets a dive coaster, it will more than likely be a B&M. I'm not sure what the park could add that would compliment Cedar Point though. Another launched coaster would be nice.

Dive coasters are so few and far between in the US that I don't see CF putting two of them so close to one another. As much as I believe a Giga really would make the most sense long term, my gut tells me that CP won't want to dethrone MF from the Midwest. A full fledged raptor, as a poster said earlier, would be a nice inevitable replacement for Vortex. Either way, be prepared to wait a long time.

RMC Raptors aren't very good with capacity, do you think they'd add one at a park as popular as KI? I can see one easily being placed at a park like MiA or VF. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I think the next coaster will go behind Banshee or in X-Base. I can't see Vortex closing in the next 5-10 years, it's still very popular and the capacity isn't dreadful. I'd see them removing the Bat before Vortex.

RMC Raptors aren't very good with capacity, do you think they'd add one at a park as popular as KI?

Yeah, you're completely right. I meant to say T-Rex. My bad.

You make a good point with the Bat, too. I have a habit of forgetting about that coaster.

I would hope Vortex would be removed before The Bat, as it could be replaced with a much better seated/floorless looping ride, while The Bat is a pretty unique ride. I know replacing rides with similar rides often isn't the MO though. Any idea which has better ridership?

That's kind of what I assumed from looking at the park on maps, but I've only been to King's Island a couple times so I thought I'd ask. I'm going on the 21st for the first time in almost 20 years and getting excited for my first rides on Banshee, Diamondback, and Mystic Timbers...and my first night ride on The Beast!

Honestly both coasters probably have great ridership numbers. If one is removed, that probably won't be the reason why. I don't know why we're talking about a Bat removal though, they just repainted the thing and gave it a brand new name and logo.

Personally I'd say it's easily one of the best coasters in the park. Other than the two B&Ms it's probably my favorite ride there.

I like both of the coasters and I don't want them to be removed anytime soon. While Vortex gives me a headache every time I ride it, it was my first looper and steel coaster. The park has a lot of places that they could add a new coaster before they remove one. If Vortex or the Bat gets removed anytime soon, I'd say it would be more on the side of mechanic issues than ridership issues.

I don't know, personally if they removed Vortex I wouldn't care at all. it's an awesome spot for something huge and it's a terrible, terrible ride. That wild mouse turn taken at an absolutely ludicrous speed into the midcourse is the worst single element I've ever seen on an American coaster.

I don't know, personally if they removed Vortex I wouldn't care at all. it's an awesome spot for something huge and it's a terrible, terrible ride. That wild mouse turn taken at an absolutely ludicrous speed into the midcourse is the worst single element I've ever seen on an American coaster.

I get that, I probably wouldn't care at all if it was replaced with something better.

Call me crazy but for some reason I loved riding in the second to last row of Vortex in June. I rode it three times over my day and a half there, and probably would have more if my brother wasn't there. It felt like a battle every time and one time I smashed the sunglasses that I was stupid enough to put in my cargo pocket but I still kept wanting to go back to it. It's got some really bad transitions for sure but I still think it's fun.

I second this! I refuse to ride it anymore... I took my kids for their first time earlier this year, and my two older kids listened to my words of wisdom, and passed on riding it, but the third born, who is 9 (the most daring of the bunch actually, he rode TTD at CP when I took him this year, and the older two have not been willing to yet!) wanted to still give it a go. At first, I was going to make him ride it alone, and was going to step through after waiting in line with him, but then decided I'd go ahead and ride... Big mistake! Ugh! Such a crappy ride!!! I asked Daniel (my son) what he thought after we got back, and he had seen the error of his ways, and said it was terrible. So there you go...

I definitely would hope they remove Vortex for something else long before removing The Bat, which is a much better coaster experience still! Having said that, if any park has space to expand with large coasters, without removing anything, it's KI.

I enjoyed Vortex actually. I love Arrow, and I'm used to bracing for the awkward transitions, and there's some great drops and inversions on Vortex. But it's not the best Arrow coaster out there and it's one of the rougher ones I've been on, so I wouldn't be too upset if it was replaced with something great.