TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

I finally got to visit Kings Island today and am I the only one who thinks Mystic Timber is just "okay"? I rode it twice (row 5 and row 2) and both times I got off the ride I wasn't in any hurry to get back on again. They also need to make the shed a little darker to make the effects look better.

I think Mystic Timbers is a middle of the road GCI but that still makes it an absolute blast to ride. I prefer Diamondback, Banshee, Bat and (if it's night time) Beast by a large margin but it's still a great coaster IMO. I just think people are over-hyping it since it's new.

What's GCI's do you like more?

I'm kinda curious about that as well. Mystic Timbers was my favorite, easily, and actually one of my favorite woodies in general. I said it my review of it that I may be biased because that is exactly what I'm looking for in a woodie.

My GCI top 5 probably looks like:

Mystic Timbers

Thunderhead

Apocalypse

Kentucky Rumbler

InvadR

I'm missing many of the Midwest GCIs though, so I can't speak to Renegade, American thunder, Gold Striker, Prowler, etc...

I haven't been on a ton of GCIs but I prefer Lightning Racer and Thunderhead for sure, I liked Apocalypse better when I rode it a few years ago but I've heard it's running like crap now. I'd say it's on par with Roar at Six Flags America (at least the way it was running during Holiday in the Park, though in previous years I really didn't care for that ride and it can definitely be tempermental).

I definitely prefer Mystic Timbers to White Lightning, Wildcat and (obviously) Gwazi. I really liked it a lot and thought it was a ton of fun, I just think there are other GCI coasters that are better.

I think Mystic Timbers is a middle of the road GCI but that still makes it an absolute blast to ride. I prefer Diamondback, Banshee, Bat and (if it's night time) Beast by a large margin but it's still a great coaster IMO. I just think people are over-hyping it since it's new.

These are my thoughts as well. A solid coaster for a park with a solid lineup.

Bat? LOL. If you want to talk over hyping look at The Beast. It's greatness is nostalgia base, the trims have killed the ride.

The ride has been trimmed since year 2, y'know.

The ride had trims in the same locations they are today on opening day. According to one of the designers of The Beast they only took one ride around the track without trims.

You might be thinking about the tunnel around the helix which was added for the second year.

Bat? LOL. If you want to talk over hyping look at The Beast. It's greatness is nostalgia base, the trims have killed the ride.

The ride has been trimmed since year 2, y'know.

The ride had trims in the same locations they are today on opening day. According to one of the designers of The Beast they only took one ride around the track without trims.

You might be thinking about the tunnel around the helix which was added for the second year.

Yeah, you're right. Still makes my point even more valid then.

I finally got to visit Kings Island today and am I the only one who thinks Mystic Timber is just "okay"? I rode it twice (row 5 and row 2) and both times I got off the ride I wasn't in any hurry to get back on again. They also need to make the shed a little darker to make the effects look better.

Also where was the line control person at the top of the stairs on Banshee? On my one and only ride there was no one there to direct guests so it was basically a free-for-all.

You rode it on the wrong spot. It's way better back 2 rows. Banshee doesn't use a "grouper" if the line is really short and/or when they have people on breaks and it's also not busy. I was there last week multiple days and it was 5 minutes or a walk on 90% of the time. It was like 10 minutes once when I massive group of day camp kids came all at once.

How short is short? I went last Thursday and the line was only to the top of the stairs and they still had the grouper, a not very effective one at that. He kept assigning only two people per row. I rode it three times hoping that by some chance he'd let me sit in the front or back since there were some empty seats, but each time I ended up sitting in the middle. Oh well though. Still a fun ride. I love the theme! Not too much but not too little.

You rode it on the wrong spot. It's way better back 2 rows. Banshee doesn't use a "grouper" if the line is really short and/or when they have people on breaks and it's also not busy. I was there last week multiple days and it was 5 minutes or a walk on 90% of the time. It was like 10 minutes once when I massive group of day camp kids came all at once.

Well if the grouper tells me a specific row I go there. I don't make a fuss asking for a special seat however I do understand what you're saying as I hate that at Diamondback. First ride was in the middle as the grouper told me which line to go in but the second time the grouper just let me in and I made a mad dash to the back seat (the only place to ride D-back).

As for the Banshee situation the line was going all the way back towards the ride entrance but they never opened up the queues as it wasn't a very crowded day at all. With no grouper at the top of the stairs I did go for my second front seat ride ever. I wasn't complaining about the lack of a grouper just that it was odd not to have one there when all the other coasters I rode had one.

BTW I forgot about Evel Knievel/American Thunder as being one of the GCI's I've ridden. That and Lightning Racer are probably my two favorites from them.

Also where was the line control person at the top of the stairs on Banshee? On my one and only ride there was no one there to direct guests so it was basically a free-for-all.

How short is short? I went last Thursday and the line was only to the top of the stairs and they still had the grouper, a not very effective one at that. He kept assigning only two people per row. I rode it three times hoping that by some chance he'd let me sit in the front or back since there were some empty seats, but each time I ended up sitting in the middle. Oh well though. Still a fun ride. I love the theme! Not too much but not too little.

My strategy for dealing with groupers is to request back or front before they have a chance to say anything. I go back 95% of the time b/c there are only a few coasters where I like front better than back. My first few times on a coaster I try both. In my experience it's very rare, like 1 of 10 times to not get your choice unless there is a huge back up. The backups usually are for front. It's been extremely rare for me to request back and not get it with a grouper. I've ridden Mystic 50+ times and have gotten grouped not i the back or 2nd to back like 2 or 3 times.

Well if the grouper tells me a specific row I go there. I don't make a fuss asking for a special seat however I do understand what you're saying as I hate that at Diamondback. First ride was in the middle as the grouper told me which line to go in but the second time the grouper just let me in and I made a mad dash to the back seat (the only place to ride D-back).

As for the Banshee situation the line was going all the way back towards the ride entrance but they never opened up the queues as it wasn't a very crowded day at all. With no grouper at the top of the stairs I did go for my second front seat ride ever. I wasn't complaining about the lack of a grouper just that it was odd not to have one there when all the other coasters I rode had one.

BTW I forgot about Evel Knievel/American Thunder as being one of the GCI's I've ridden. That and Lightning Racer are probably my two favorites from them.

Lol. I always get too scared to ask a grouper for a specific seat. The one at Banshee seemed nice enough but I was still super scared to ask. I absolutely hate to ask people for favors. But I agree, the back seat on the Diamondback is the best place to ride it. Luckily that grouper stuck me in the back or close to the back every time. The front is great for visuals, but the back is the best for airtime. And I've ridden American Thunder. It is definitely an underrated roller coaster. It reminds me a lot of one of the other GCI's I've ridden, Ozark Wildcat. At least that it is a compact layout and has multiple low to the ground airtime hills. But I still like Mystic Timbers the best. It will probably be a couple of years before I get to ride Lightning Racer. But it looks like a blast! I tend to like wood coasters more than steel coasters.

The only parks I've been to in recent years where groupers were present have been Carowinds (@ Intimidator & Fury 325)and SeaWorld Orlando (@ Mako). I have been able to request my seat and get it all but once since those rides opened. The one time I didn't get it was on one of my Fury 325 rides in 2015 where they were a lot more strict on seat requests. I usually go to parks when I know they aren't going to be very busy, so that's why I hadn't had to deal with it at any other parks. I'll be going to KI for the first time next year and won't hesitate to ask. Just be really nice and there's no need to be scared...lol

Cedar Fair groupers... scaring the sh*t out of coaster enthusiasts since 2017.

Lol just kindly ask for a specific row and they'll give it to you most of the time.

For most coasters I don't have an issue of where the grouper puts me - I just want to get on the ride. Thankfully the Beast doesn't have assigned seating because if I don't wait for the front seat I always have to sit in a non-wheel seat elsewhere on the train.

I always get too scared to ask a grouper for a specific seat.

Really how is this scary? "Hello! Is it ok if me and my friends sit in row [fill in the blank]?

That's it, that's all. They either say yes or no. I've had both happen, but usually the former. Just ask nicely and smile.

Really how is this scary? "Hello! Is it ok if me and my friends sit in row [fill in the blank]?

That's it, that's all. They either say yes or no. I've had both happen, but usually the former. Just ask nicely and smile.

I think you're overestimating how easy it is for some enthusiasts to actually converse with people in real life. Especially if that might mean they could be "rejected" with their request. For some, it's worse than being rejected by a girl

Well if the grouper tells me a specific row I go there.

Speaking as a CF ride op, it's because for every well-behaved guest or guest that asks nicely for a specific seat, there's about 4x as many who think the grouper's only function is to ruin their fun. Which is double the fun for us when working at a ride that must be perfectly balanced or will likely fault and trap the riders in the air and/or inverted for several hours.

Eh. I just get scared that they are going to say no. Lol. Same reason a boy my age is scared to ask out another guy or girl. I'm also scared that even if I smile and ask politely that they'll still think I'm a brat or something. Honestly, I don't know why I'm so scared of them when I've talked to actual adults to arrange group volunteer events for my school's chapter of FCCLA.

Eh. I just get scared that they are going to say no. Lol. Same reason a boy my age is scared to ask out another guy or girl. I'm also scared that even if I smile and ask politely that they'll still think I'm a brat or something. Honestly, I don't know why I'm so scared of them when I've talked to actual adults to arrange group volunteer events for my school's chapter of FCCLA.

I've had them say no to me. Trust me if that happens you'll forget about it 2 minutes later when you're on the ride and enjoying it in spite of not sitting where you wanted. But if you don't ask at all you're totally giving up an opportunity you might have to nab the seat you want. Just ask. How bad is it if they say no? Just do it. Report back. We're all rooting for you.

I've had them say no to me. Trust me if that happens you'll forget about it 2 minutes later when you're on the ride and enjoying it in spite of not sitting where you wanted. But if you don't ask at all you're totally giving up an opportunity you might have to nab the seat you want. Just ask. How bad is it if they say no? Just do it. Report back. We're all rooting for you.

Thanks. Although the next park I will probably be visiting will probably be my home park, SDC and they only have groupers on the rarest of occasions, usually during the Christmas season and during Spring Break. And the next new park will probably either be Cedar Point next summer and then Silverwood, which I doubt has groupers considering the size of their park.

Lol. I always get too scared to ask a grouper for a specific seat.

God help you if you have to ask someone out on a date.

Eh. I'm usually asked more than I have to ask myself. For some reason guys are usually attracted to my perky and naive personality. I'm usually a lot more confident when I'm not all alone in a different state.

Ya'll have it all wrong! Diamondback is best in the front (personally, row 2 on the edge).

I agree with this wholeheartedly. You still get a front-row experience with far less wait in row two. Last two times I rode, I asked for that row because both times I'd get right on the next train coming in.