TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

While comparing Beast and Hades is like comparing salt and pepper, I have to admit that when we we visited Mt. Olympus a few years ago and did the late night hours of operation (when we were pretty hammered), Hades was actually f%cking awesome in the front seat at like 12:30 at night.

I'd like to try that on Voyage sometime, but ya know...the no alcohol thing.

No offense, but Santa Claus don't like no boozers like me.

There is a little shopping center right by the park with a grocery store that sells beer. Could always pack a cooler from there! We always stay at Lake Rudolph Campground and have a stocked fridge we can run back to if we need.

Good Friday was a public opening day in 2014 when Banshee debuted. The lines for it were 7 hours long. Now, this gold pass preview isn't a "public" day, so there is a good chance the lines won't be as long, but I personally would skip going.

Kings Island has had ridiculously long lines on new-coaster-opening days as long as I can remember, back to 6+ hours for Outer Limits. I can't think of any other parks with a history of such absurd lines for new rides. I don't know what it is about KI but I guess locals just love their new stuff. I expect opening weekend for MT to be insane unless weather keeps people away.

^New rides usually have an "elevated" wait time in comparison to other rides in their thrill class throughout the season, with the wait time being front-loaded to the beginning of the day. Typically, the crowd levels will follow their normal peaks and valleys so a weekday in the first couple weeks in June should not be too bad for a wait on Mystic Timbers even if the wait time is longer than its neighbor, The Beast, or any other coaster in that park with a similar ride experience.

Good Friday was a public opening day in 2014 when Banshee debuted. The lines for it were 7 hours long

I can't believe Banshee had that long of a line. When I went in the fall of 2014 the wait was never more that 4-5 trains, even for the front row.

I have been to opening day for Firehawk, Diamondback, and Banshee. Firehawk we waited roughly 2 hours, but the ride was down for a while to start the morning. Diamondback we waited 3 hours to ride, overall everything went pretty smooth from what I remember. Banshee we waited roughly 4-5 hours to ride, there were a couple times that the ride went down while we waited, the biggest thing I remember from Banshee opening day was the weather being perfect, which I'm sure helped out with the crowds along with the new coaster. Let's hope the weather is as good this year as well, I will be there both Friday night and Saturday morning.

I've heard stories of Millennium and Gemini having six hour waits on their opening days at Cedar Point. Wonder how far back the line went for Millie as it's about 1.5 hours if everything to the north of the queue beginning is used.

One perk of opening days: I bet the non-new coasters have shorter lines than normal for busy days

I've heard stories of Millennium and Gemini having six hour waits on their opening days at Cedar Point. Wonder how far back the line went for Millie as it's about 1.5 hours if everything to the north of the queue beginning is used.

It was pretty impressive... this area was of course full and had a bunch of temporary rails.

lol.thumb.jpg.e712ea05c6cdefd118a015f8e6d4f6d6.jpg

And then it would often start heading down Frontier trail, often as far as the tunnel.