TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

It looks like snow to me. Snow doesn't spontaneously combust when it gets above freezing. It's on the side of a small hill which means that it's probably in the shade for a large portion of the day which is why it's still there.

It wouldn't be snow its been average about 50 degrees for the past week. It would have melted by now.

Interesting. It's not the worst coaster at Kings Island, but it is large and certainly unpopular. They don't need to remove any coasters, but I can see them having a lot better uses for the land it's on.

Every time I've been to KI it has had a decent line, I wouldn't call it unpopular.

Interesting. It's not the worst coaster at Kings Island, but it is large and certainly unpopular. They don't need to remove any coasters, but I can see them having a lot better uses for the land it's on.

What do you consider the worst coaster at KI, just out of curiosity?

Restraints aside, as enthusiasts, I think we forget that a high percentage of people are terrified of going upside down. The thought of having a wood coaster that doesn't invert at all surprising everyone with a slow inversion in a dark shed at the end of the ride is borderline evil.

It's not unprecedented, although it wasn't on a wooden coaster.

I don't know if GCI's restraint system would be up to the task though.

What do you consider the worst coaster at KI, just out of curiosity?

I woul rank Invertigo and Flying Ace Aerial Chase lower, but I will say that Invertigo is far better than a normal boomerang. Flying Ace Aerial Chase had some rattling that Steel Lasso did not, but otherwise was fun. They don't really have a bad coaster there; just that the bottom few are rather mediocre.

As a Kings Island native I absolutely love Vortex. But nostalgia aside, this ride has been on a severe decline in quality the past 4 or so years. It has been a staple in modern roller coaster technology, as well as for the park itself. I could, however, see it leaving the park within the next 5 years. Kings Island being the somewhat "locals" theme park that it markets itself to be, relies heavily on season pass sales. The ride locally has a lasting reputation of being rough, intense, and nauseating. Pretty much any person you hear getting off the ride will say so. As far as lines go I am sure Kings Island has the capacity numbers and are looking at it closely. Most of the time the ride is a walk on, except for the busy times of the year where most people in line are here on vacation and have no idea what they are in for. As much as I would hate for this ride to go, it has become a reality lately that some day soon we will have to part ways.

Vortex is ok, just ok. Does it hurt....yes, but that's to be expected with old Arrow loopers. I would say the worst rollercoaster now is The Racer. It has gotten so rough and hurts your back. Not to mention the trains have you so shove into them. I know The Racer will never leave, but hopefully they can retrack parts of it. As far as Vortex, I can see it leaving in the next 5 years also. There is a ton of land there. Not just where it is currently, but also behind it in The Beast's wooded areas. KI really has a lot of land to expand into.

Vortex is ok, just ok. Does it hurt....yes, but that's to be expected with old Arrow loopers. I would say the worst rollercoaster now is The Racer. It has gotten so rough and hurts your back. Not to mention the trains have you so shove into them.

Someone didn't ride in the middle bench of a 3-bench PTC.

Vortex isn't bad, it is more like jerky

Expensive yet delicious?

I don't know... I went on Vortex many many years ago and was pretty traumatized by it (so much so that at SFGAM the only ride I skipped was Demon because it even LOOKED like it, lol); the fact I have been back to KI maybe 3 more times since and never gave it another shot is pretty bad. I'll be going this summer and I'll give it another shot but something tells me I'm going to regret it

I've been on other Arrows and enjoyed them, but I just remember Vortex being terrible... and I usually find something good in all coasters. It looks like I'm the minority here, though.

Edited by anonymouscactus

^ That's what I remember about Vortex the last time we rode it...getting totally jacked on that turn before the MCBR - none of us were prepared for that at all. The rest of the coaster isn't horrible by any means, but that turn into the brake = not fun.

No, you'll love it. That turn into the MCBR is really good. I always wondered what it would be like to put an Arrow looper train on a Wild Mouse, and now I know.

If you're that interested, there's a TPR video somewhere of a park legitimately building a Wild Mouse out of, legend has it, spare (possibly knock-off) Arrow parts, including an Arrow train trimmed down to a single car.

Vortex is ok, just ok. Does it hurt....yes, but that's to be expected with old Arrow loopers. I would say the worst rollercoaster now is The Racer. It has gotten so rough and hurts your back. Not to mention the trains have you so shove into them.

Someone didn't ride in the middle bench of a 3-bench PTC.

Yeah the last time I was at Kings Island was June 2015 and I was actually pretty surprised at how smooth and enjoyable it was. I did sit in a middle row, of course, because that's the only place to sit on a 3-bench PTC train unless you're in the very front row of The Beast at night.