TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

I will likely be visiting Kings Island on Tuesday, June 9th as an add-on to my Cedar Point trip. Just a few questions.

1) How bad should the crowds be that day? I'll be at the park from opening time to about 5 pm or so, and I'd like to know if it's possible to ride all of the coasters in that time without Fast Lane or Fast Lane Plus.

2) In what order should I ride everything to minimize wait times?

3) Any specific seating recommendations on the coasters?

4) Anything else I should know about Kings Island? (food, rain policies, flat rides, etc.)

June 9th is a tuesday you should be fine.

at rope drop go to Firehawk and Flight of Fear. get those out of the way first. Invertigo is a crap shoot on the line length. Skyline is food you should try if you have never been to the Cincy area, all of the other food is pretty run of the mill amusement park food. If you start with the two i mentioned on a tuesday it should be very easy to get all of the rides in and probably re rides on Banshee.

as for seating this is typically how i choose.

Banshee: Front

Diamondback - back

Beast- front seat or a non wheel seat

Vortex- 5-1

Invertigo - one of the ends.

The rest doesnt really seem to matter where you sit.

How often is the Timberwolf Amphitheater used? I always visit the park during Halloween Haunt when it isn't used. If a CP/Carowinds style front gate renovation was in the works then I think the Timberwolf Amphitheater would be sacrificed to make room for a coaster. I can't think of any other viable options.

First of all, how can you think they don't have room? Look up Kings Island on Google Earth. They own a TON of land!! If you use Great Wolf on one side and Western Row Rd on the other, they own all the land from their parking lot to the river. They probably have the same amount of land they currently use sitting undeveloped behind them that they can use anytime they want.

Cedar Point is landlocked and running out of room, but that is not Kings Island's downfall at all, they have tons of room for expansion if they want to. You could see The Beast 2.0 terrorizing riders through a huge circuit back in those woods someday. And what you can't tell from Google Earth is the geography of the terrain, but if you look at it from The Racer or Windseeker, you can see it would be amazing.

Do they not do concerts at Timberwolf any more? I saw a Weird Al concert there several years ago and it was such a nice venue.

Timberwolf is rarely used, except like someone else pointed out for Spirit Song weekend. Just way to much competition for acts from Riverbend and PNC Pavillon in Cincy, 2 big arenas and LC Pavillon in Columbus and Fraze in Kettering. Hard to get acts when you have that much competition around you.

I think what he meant was, removing the theater would be the only viable option for a Front Entrance Coaster like Gatekeeper and Fury 325. Not that there is not room to expand in general, just in that case.

I think what he meant was, removing the theater would be the only viable option for a Front Entrance Coaster like Gatekeeper and Fury 325. Not that there is not room to expand in general, just in that case.

no fury no

no fury no

We don't need a coaster front entrance.. Cedar Point has one, Carowinds has one, it won't be special if all the CF parks have one. IMO..

We don't need a coaster front entrance.. Cedar Point has one, Carowinds has one, it won't be special if all the CF parks have one. IMO..

You also have park administration offices just to the right of the main entrance behind Planet Snoopy.

In case anyone was interested, the park has updated their app to include wait times for the major attractions in the park. However, you can only view the wait times when you are at the park, which I find odd.

I'm really hoping Cedar Point is the next one to add this to their app.

Oh, by the way - the Beach waterpark (The waterpark across the street from Kings Island) got a new mat racer for 2015 http://www.thebeachwaterpark.com/rides-attractions/real-thrill/

Historically, when the Beach gets new slides, so does Kings Island. Pretty much it's the only competition around. It's certainly a better waterpark with more diverse slides and atmosphere. Kings Island's waterpark thrives simply because it's free with the theme park admission and they continue to slap new paint on the slides to hide the old appearance. But honestly, ride the slides and you'll feel the fiberglass in your back. When living in Cincinnati, I would really only visit the waterpark once every two years or so...since the addition of Diamondback, the increase in attendance has overcrowded the waterpark. Even when adding a second wavepool, there's still a lack of space to put your stuff down unless you're one of the first ones there.

Kings Island's slides are mostly from 1989 but coated in new paint (aside from the ProSlide tornado and 4 lane mat racers from 2004). Yes, their last slide addition was 11 years ago. So hopefully they will add on for 2016. For the most part their slides are shit capacity since the slides they originally built were for a park with probably half the daily attendance that it draws in today.

^ We wanted to do The Beach the day after Banshee Bash last year, but it was supposed to t-storm/rain so we skipped it and headed home instead. I wouldn't mind hitting this place up the next time we are in the area as it looks like a pretty decent water park.

I agree with you that KI's water park could use some new offerings - it certainly seems like they have enough room!

The park had (3) Schlitterbahn style slide/lazy river combos, but unfortunately they took one out for this mat racer. They've got a pretty good line up and the big speed slide. Kings Island needs a classic massive speed slide to get me to return.

Great Wolf Lodge is actually the best waterpark in Cincinnati...it as an INCREDIBLE proslide coaster complete with a pre drop before the first drop to absolutely launch you out of the raft.

^ and ^^ i honestly think some kind of waterpark expansion is in the makings. If its soon or late we'll find out in August or so. They have room over by the new wavepool to put a new slide complex in. The water park has got boring to me in all honesty. Whether they get a new coaster i couldnt tell you, but it would sorta be nice. something like Maverick would do. Time will tell. #2016

^ and ^^ i honestly think some kind of waterpark expansion is in the makings. If its soon or late we'll find out in August or so. They have room over by the new wavepool to put a new slide complex in. The water park has got boring to me in all honesty. Whether they get a new coaster i couldnt tell you, but it would sorta be nice. something like Maverick would do. Time will tell. #2016

From my understanding, they can not build anything under the power wires that are going thru the water park. So that empty land (I am almost 100% sure is under them) can not be used for attractions.

Kings Island needs a classic massive speed slide to get me to return.

Kings Island used to have a set of speed slides - Fastracks - that the mat racer replaced. The tallest one used to scare me every time.

I have painful memories of riding that slide. I also have joyous memories of being 10 years old and watching girls lose their tops pretty much every other slide. You had to be careful though, there are some uuuuuugly customers at Kings Island. #Lebanon #Ohio

Kings Island needs a classic massive speed slide to get me to return.

Kings Island used to have a set of speed slides - Fastracks - that the mat racer replaced. The tallest one used to scare me every time.

I have painful memories of riding that slide. I also have joyous memories of being 10 years old and watching girls lose their tops pretty much every other slide. You had to be careful though, there are some uuuuuugly customers at Kings Island. #Lebanon #Ohio

Yes, there are plenty of KI customers I'd rather not see topless!

From my understanding, they can not build anything under the power wires that are going thru the water park. So that empty land (I am almost 100% sure is under them) can not be used for attractions.

They could most likely expand over by the funnel slide, flow rider and (newer) wave pool. All of those are on the other side of the power lines and could be a nice area for further development.

Grant it. We all know soak city is in need of new stuff but some other stuff is happening in the park! Monster has been takin apart and might get the same treatment as shake rattle and roll. The new lights on shake rattle and roll are BEAUTIFUL and I FINALLY got a night ride on the beast!

image.thumb.jpg.719cc0d0787d8bff021360afdd67f025.jpg

Monster in pieces. What will happen to it!?

image.thumb.jpg.84a9c7e80b1cf37c3419703e1963ab9d.jpg

So beautiful with the new lights!

Okay, this might be a stupid question, but what is with all the rave about a night ride on Beast?

I only ask because we have booked a trip to Kings Island, and Cedar Point, and I am trying to figure out if it is worth staying late enough at the park for a night ride on beast, which will put us really late getting to our hotel at Cedar Point.

Here's the deal with Beast. The part of the ride between the shed and the second lift is really what changes so drastically. Because it sprawls out so far into the forest with no lighting, you get a serious sense of out-of-control speeding through the woods if you ride at night. During the day, it's just alright, primarily because it's trimmed so much in the shed. When you can see everything around you and really judge your speed, you realize the ride is just lackadaisically putzing around during that back section. But at night, it really feels like it's flying through that part of the course. And the double helix finale is great no matter what time of day.

Did Monster open with the park this season? Or has it been closed all year?

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what happens to it.

It was open when we went a few weeks ago. Something must have happened between then an now.