TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^ We wanted to do The Beach the day after Banshee Bash last year, but it was supposed to t-storm/rain so we skipped it and headed home instead. I wouldn't mind hitting this place up the next time we are in the area as it looks like a pretty decent water park.

I agree with you that KI's water park could use some new offerings - it certainly seems like they have enough room!

The park had (3) Schlitterbahn style slide/lazy river combos, but unfortunately they took one out for this mat racer. They've got a pretty good line up and the big speed slide. Kings Island needs a classic massive speed slide to get me to return.

Great Wolf Lodge is actually the best waterpark in Cincinnati...it as an INCREDIBLE proslide coaster complete with a pre drop before the first drop to absolutely launch you out of the raft.

^ and ^^ i honestly think some kind of waterpark expansion is in the makings. If its soon or late we'll find out in August or so. They have room over by the new wavepool to put a new slide complex in. The water park has got boring to me in all honesty. Whether they get a new coaster i couldnt tell you, but it would sorta be nice. something like Maverick would do. Time will tell. #2016

^ and ^^ i honestly think some kind of waterpark expansion is in the makings. If its soon or late we'll find out in August or so. They have room over by the new wavepool to put a new slide complex in. The water park has got boring to me in all honesty. Whether they get a new coaster i couldnt tell you, but it would sorta be nice. something like Maverick would do. Time will tell. #2016

From my understanding, they can not build anything under the power wires that are going thru the water park. So that empty land (I am almost 100% sure is under them) can not be used for attractions.

Kings Island needs a classic massive speed slide to get me to return.

Kings Island used to have a set of speed slides - Fastracks - that the mat racer replaced. The tallest one used to scare me every time.

I have painful memories of riding that slide. I also have joyous memories of being 10 years old and watching girls lose their tops pretty much every other slide. You had to be careful though, there are some uuuuuugly customers at Kings Island. #Lebanon #Ohio

Kings Island needs a classic massive speed slide to get me to return.

Kings Island used to have a set of speed slides - Fastracks - that the mat racer replaced. The tallest one used to scare me every time.

I have painful memories of riding that slide. I also have joyous memories of being 10 years old and watching girls lose their tops pretty much every other slide. You had to be careful though, there are some uuuuuugly customers at Kings Island. #Lebanon #Ohio

Yes, there are plenty of KI customers I'd rather not see topless!

From my understanding, they can not build anything under the power wires that are going thru the water park. So that empty land (I am almost 100% sure is under them) can not be used for attractions.

They could most likely expand over by the funnel slide, flow rider and (newer) wave pool. All of those are on the other side of the power lines and could be a nice area for further development.

Grant it. We all know soak city is in need of new stuff but some other stuff is happening in the park! Monster has been takin apart and might get the same treatment as shake rattle and roll. The new lights on shake rattle and roll are BEAUTIFUL and I FINALLY got a night ride on the beast!

image.thumb.jpg.719cc0d0787d8bff021360afdd67f025.jpg

Monster in pieces. What will happen to it!?

image.thumb.jpg.84a9c7e80b1cf37c3419703e1963ab9d.jpg

So beautiful with the new lights!

Okay, this might be a stupid question, but what is with all the rave about a night ride on Beast?

I only ask because we have booked a trip to Kings Island, and Cedar Point, and I am trying to figure out if it is worth staying late enough at the park for a night ride on beast, which will put us really late getting to our hotel at Cedar Point.

Here's the deal with Beast. The part of the ride between the shed and the second lift is really what changes so drastically. Because it sprawls out so far into the forest with no lighting, you get a serious sense of out-of-control speeding through the woods if you ride at night. During the day, it's just alright, primarily because it's trimmed so much in the shed. When you can see everything around you and really judge your speed, you realize the ride is just lackadaisically putzing around during that back section. But at night, it really feels like it's flying through that part of the course. And the double helix finale is great no matter what time of day.

Did Monster open with the park this season? Or has it been closed all year?

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what happens to it.

It was open when we went a few weeks ago. Something must have happened between then an now.

Never assume but yes.

You're right, maybe I should've used the term "hope" instead of "assume." While most of the Indiana schools are out now, I think the Ohio ones still have another week or two.

Edit: Also, if you buy a souvenir cup online, are you buying a voucher or does a bottle physically ship to your house? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've never bought one of these online before.

^ No. You'll have to go to a stand or restaurant that sells souvenir cups and redeem it there. Some Ohio Schools get out tomorrow . If there's any type of event this week it might be COSI, but that's only for high schooler's.

Theres a souvenir cup station at the front gate before you get into the park. If that's open, redeem your voucher there.

I'm at the park right now and everything is basically a walkon. Banshee and Diamondback's front row are one train waits. Also, amazingly the park is running all of the trains on each ride. Pretty much perfect day at the park!

Edit: Well, almost perfect. Drop Tower and Windseeker have yet to open.

Anybody know if having the printout for my platinum pass will be good enough for free parking? I'm planning to redeem it at the park (how long does this usually take at KI on a Sunday?). I assume it will work for parking, but would like to know what to expect.

I'll save a long photo trip report for another time since I didn't take any pictures but I thought I'd run down the highs and lows of this trip. I usually make the 4.5 hour trek to Kings Island once or twice a year so it's always a treat when I can make it out to Mason, Ohio. I was impressed with how friendly the staff was because I had multiple employees, mainly ride ops, ask me how my day was and if I was having a good time. I had never seen this level of customer service at the park before and it was certainly a surprise to me. One of the other big surprises was the fact that crowd levels were low yet the park rain all of the coasters at full capacity to insure that 0-5 minute waits on Banshee, Diamondback, Firehawk, etc. will a stay that way. It certainly made 15+ rerides each on Banshee and Diamondback more feasible! One downside of the trip was that Drop Tower was closed, but I will be back later in the season with it hopefully open. I thought I'd give an update/mini-review on all of the major coasters:

Banshee: Hauling arse like always. Rode about 15 times in the front and back rows. While early in the morning their was noticeable rattle, it seemed to go away later on in the day. Either that, or I got used to it. Still my second favorite invert behind Montu, but very close. Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but the rarely-used trim on the bottom of the zero-g roll is gone.

Diamondback: Running 100x better than last year somehow, being smooth and fast. I experienced the best airtime (dare I say ejector) I ever had on this ride in the second row of the front car, right seat. Maybe my lap bar was one notch up to where I flew, but nearly every hill I slammed it. Great ride with about 10 laps on it.

The Beast: here's the biggest disappointment of the trip. Wow have the trimmed the hell out of this coaster. So much so, that any airtime you think you could've experienced on the second hill after the first drop, completely gone. Why is a trim necessary on the first drop and the crest of the second hill??? Very drastic change from what I remember last year, and not for the better.

Seriously, the Beast is crawling at many points in the ride. How sad.

Firehawk: meh, never a fan but it's always a plus when the ride is a walkon

Flight of Fear: pretty good, though more slamming into your ride partner than I remember. Also, it was the only ride that consistently kept a 45 minute wait all day, so we hit this very first thing.

The Bat: Same fun suspended coaster it always is. Hope these last another 5-10 years

Racer: Rough in some areas, but still a classic. Thunder Road mourners will enjoy it.

Backlot: Another meh, but from what I understand, it's the best of the three clones since most of the effects are still working (I believe the water effects were the only ones turned off from its opening year?)

Vortex: Kill it with fire. Seriously even in the so-called Magic seat this ride is awful. Count me in the group that does not understand the love for this ride. There are no redeeming qualities for me, sorry Vortex fans.

Invertigo: pretty rough, also not a fan of this ride.

Other notes: The food service was god-awful today. LaRosa's took 30 minutes for about 15 people in front me, though the pizza itself was fine. Auntie Anne's pretzels were stale, thin, and hardly salted. Not impressed with the food today at all. The park was looking very clean, with copious amounts of the sweepers everywhere. The petting farm was cute, although a little small. Everyone in my group had a blast despite a few downsides. Overally, you could've have picked a better day for crowds or weather than today this week. Walk-ons for nearly every coaster always makes the day better.

I went to the park today as a guest before I had to go to work and stayed in the waterpark. The green grass near the new wave pool has no power lines or anything over it so I could possibly see them maybe adding a new slide complex there. They really need a new slide complex.