TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

They could be getting another big coaster next year, I'm not sure how big the area is as a whole. But is there places surrounding it they could weave a coaster around? It would be unlikely they get a new coaster this soon after Banshee. But it's a possibility. Hopefully wooden this time around? And they certainly don't need another coaster at this point and time, so I'm doubtful that's what it is.

^ or maybe cedar fair's invested in a new thrill ride ? has cedar fair installed any other major thrill rides in the last few years at any parks? But if my eyes dont decieve me it looks as if one of the three trains for Diamondback is in the storage shed! April 18th needs to hurry up! Plus ill be having some pics from the Great Wolf Lodge up after this weekend.

DiamondBack1.jpg.8c2a7350ff2a39a7d80319c5ea0c4e4d.jpg

Quickly consulting with Google maps, yeah, there's totally room to weave a small/medium sized roller coaster around the surrounding area, but it would KILL the aesthetic that area has, so, to echo previous comments, I'm seriously doubtful that this will be a roller coaster. Unless of course it's something extremely compact, like a wild mouse, or, more hopefully, a 4D, an El Loco, or one of those weird new vekoma flyers with the vertical lift... stingray? But so close in time to Banshee, while other parks are in Cedar Fair's spotlight? I'd say slim chances.

Also, far-fetched, if they were to weave a coaster through the surrounding area, a short dive coaster would work really well. If it dove underground, it would less-so kill the aesthetic, more-so seriously injure the aesthetic. But there's enough Dive Coaster hate happening on the Cedar Point thread, so please don't think I want/hope for/am actually serious about/predict this.

Another, 100% far fetched idea is that it would be the starting point for a gatekeeper/fury 325-style roller coaster, something to fly over/through/around the front entrance.... but it would be so much easier to start one of those in Action Zone, so I'll just cut myself off right here.

If we're basing non-coaster guesses on recent Cedar Fair investments, the obvious response is Triotech. .......But if Kings Island were to get a Triotech dark ride, the obvious placement would be in the former-crypt, former-former tomb raider building. Heck, I wouldn't even be disappointed to see it called and themed to "The Crypt." That would be awesome.

Maybe they're just revamping the garden there? Building a new, better looking garden, and moving the smoking area somewhere else?

Maybe they're going to build a sit down restaurant, or new food stands, or some sort of 100% redundant theater (given it's proximity to like... three others).

Maybe a new top spin? Or some other Huss ride? An "I'm Sorry" gift after the Crypt went down? That would be cool. If unlikely.

Well, I think I've just knocked out several posts-worth of speculation, please feel free to rip me to shreds for the dive coaster comment, can't wait to see what this pans into!

352756057_ScreenShot2015-03-14at10_44_06PM.png.33b71c0ee3e858e9d0a302ab0fddc369.png

My consultation with google maps

I really wish that the Oktoberfest area was actually more like Oktoberfest other than a couple of German looking buildings with little to no German food or beverage offerings. Yes, they do have the small bier garten, but the Festhaus area should be a replica of a German beer hall complete with the Oom-pah band.

I would think that this area might be a bit confusing to some of the German tourists that might be expecting (at minimum) a large beer tent. They walk into Festhaus and it's pizza, chicken tenders and burgers? WTF?

^They should just eliminate Oktoberfest altogether and merge it with International Street. Also don't forget Chinese food.

Maybe the old Tower Gardens will just be an open area for the time being. One or two small family flats would be a nice addition that would not totally destroy the area.

A random thought:

So far, there have been two B&M gigacoasters built. Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland and Fury 325 at Carowinds.

So far, there have been four B&M hypercoasters with staggered seating built: Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland, Intimidator at Carowinds, Diamondback at Kings Island, and Shambhala at PortAventura. The latter is not a Cedar Fair park, so we can ignore it for the time being.

Two of the three remaining V-seat B&M hypers are at parks that later built a B&M giga. The third is Kings Island.

Granted, this probably means nothing, but it's an interesting coincidence.

A random thought:

So far, there have been two B&M gigacoasters built. Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland and Fury 325 at Carowinds.

So far, there have been four B&M hypercoasters with staggered seating built: Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland, Intimidator at Carowinds, Diamondback at Kings Island, and Shambhala at PortAventura. The latter is not a Cedar Fair park, so we can ignore it for the time being.

Two of the three remaining V-seat B&M hypers are at parks that later built a B&M giga. The third is Kings Island.

Granted, this probably means nothing, but it's an interesting coincidence.

Good point. I think it's definitely possible that Kings Island could get a B&M Giga for their next coaster considering the route Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland have taken, although I don't see it happening until at least 2018.

The park is streamlining itself for what i think would be an expected attendance jump in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a massive new coaster in 2017 or 2018 like that of Fury325.

Diamondback and Banshee are so popular, I would really think they would go with B&M again.

not please no .

Just because you think they are redundant doesn't mean they aren't sound investments. From all I've heard Leviathan is a fantastic ride and very different from Behemoth, and I expect no less from Fury. Cedar Fair wouldn't spend $30 million on Fury if Leviathan wasn't a good investment. If you don't like it, don't ride it. Simple as that.

I also don't see how anyone in the world would be against the idea of a giga coaster for a park like Kings Island.

If you're against park development, that's different, but this is a major corporate park that must keep on top of trends to attract millions of visitors, and they're going to do what they think will bring in the most visitors.

MF =/= Magnum

Leviathan =/= Behemoth

Fury =/= Intimidator

And for most people, these giga coasters are superior to their hyper counterparts. I see nothing to complain about here.

Speaking of hypers, Which is better Diamondback or Intimitador?? I'm visiting Kings Island this summer, and my favorite ride of all time is a B&M Hyper ( Goliath), unfortunaly the other two I've been on ( Intimitador & Raging Bull) were extremlt dissapointing, I'm hoping Diamondback delivers.

Speaking of hypers, Which is better Diamondback or Intimitador?? I'm visiting Kings Island this summer, and my favorite ride of all time is a B&M Hyper ( Goliath), unfortunaly the other two I've been on ( Intimitador & Raging Bull) were extremlt dissapointing, I'm hoping Diamondback delivers.

I like Diamondback much more. It's layout is a little more varied and interesting than Intimidator, which is pretty much just hill after hill after hill and nothing else.

not please no .

Just because you think they are redundant doesn't mean they aren't sound investments. From all I've heard Leviathan is a fantastic ride and very different from Behemoth

absolutely not, leviathan is very boring (at least for me) camelback curve, curve, camelback, end. I much preferred behemoth.

then I do not understand, there are dozens of types of coaster. why build the same thing? (Just a little bit higher)

I prefer Diamondback to Carowinds' Intimidator, but I305 beats them both.

This. Diamondback is a really good ride in the back seat, probably the most airtime I've experienced on a B&M hyper. It rattles a little back there but it's nothing that takes away from the ride experience.

not please no .

Just because you think they are redundant doesn't mean they aren't sound investments. From all I've heard Leviathan is a fantastic ride and very different from Behemoth

absolutely not, leviathan is very boring (at least for me) camelback curve, curve, camelback, end. I much preferred behemoth.

then I do not understand, there are dozens of types of coaster. why build the same thing? (Just a little bit higher)

Because parks do not build for enthusiasts.

not please no .

Cedar Fair has a great relationship with B&M from what we've seen, and a giga coaster is easiest to market among the general public, being their target audience. Enthusiasts make up such a small part of their attendance that they don't take into account their opinions when buildig a new coaster.

Just because you find it "boring" doesn't mean it's a bad investment, and in all honesty, if you find a 300 foot tall, 93 mph roller coaster "boring," you need to find a new hobby. You're not going to find many coasters more exciting than Leviathan.

I found Diamondback and Intimidator Carowinds to be pretty much equal though I like Diamondback's layout better. Back seat or at least towards the back on Diamondback has some nice pops of air and night rides are excellent (though not nearly as epic as The Beast's).

not please no .

Cedar Fair has a great relationship with B&M from what we've seen, and a giga coaster is easiest to market among the general public, being their target audience. Enthusiasts make up such a small part of their attendance that they don't take into account their opinions when buildig a new coaster.

Just because you find it "boring" doesn't mean it's a bad investment, and in all honesty, if you find a 300 foot tall, 93 mph roller coaster "boring," you need to find a new hobby. You're not going to find many coasters more exciting than Leviathan.

Well said. I think a B&M giga may be in Kings Island's future too.