TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

• Replies 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoy a cold one Pour one out for your homies Bam! You just bought two.

I think you're missing Just a few syllables here To write a haiku

At the risk of veering off topic, people are just incredibly selective in what causes of death they choose to care about. People only care if it's high-profile, tragic accident, something new and scar

Posted Images

^ The orginal Bat trains look so awesome. Also were those trains used on Vampire at Chessington at one point? I watched an old commerical of Vampire a while back and it looked like it used to have similar trains to The Bat's.

It's like some of you don't understand. Parks want a capacity monster of a roller coaster that's reliable and appeals to as many people as it can, B&M is only building rides based on the park's specifications. GateKeeper got over 2.1 million riders last season so I don't think the general public cares that much about a ride's intensity.

Build a big new roller coaster, people will ride it. Period. Compare Gatekeeper's opening season to Skyrush's, taking overall park attendance into account, and I doubt you'll see much of a difference. It's like defending a movie like Transformers 2 by pointing out how well it did at the box office. When discussing the quality of the movie , it's utterly irrelevant.

Don't forget B&Ms usually seat four across unlike intamin, which is one of the things that make the capacity so great.

Keep in mind that Intamin seats four to a car - the trains are longer than those from B&M but typically carry the same number of riders. Millennium Force even runs nine cars of four, seating 36 riders per train - something that only a select few B&M hypers achieve. Without those exceptions, the vast majority of both manufacturers' coasters seat seven or eight cars of four, regardless of arrangement.

What gives B&M the capacity edge is really just their layouts - they design rides to be mostly equitemporal (made that up) between blocks, allowing up to three trains to run extremely smoothly with good operations. Intamin tends to design their rides to be shorter but without an MCBR, though that shorter length is still longer than one individual half of a B&M coaster resulting in a) only two-train operation and b) the inability to release the second train until the first has hit the final brakes. You get a nonstop, action-packed experience instead of B&M's go-to loop combination, but you sacrifice a bit of capacity.

What gives B&M the capacity edge is really just their layouts - they design rides to be mostly equitemporal (made that up) between blocks, allowing up to three trains to run extremely smoothly with good operations. Intamin tends to design their rides to be shorter but without an MCBR, though that shorter length is still longer than one individual half of a B&M coaster resulting in a) only two-train operation and b) the inability to release the second train until the first has hit the final brakes. You get a nonstop, action-packed experience instead of B&M's go-to loop combination, but you sacrifice a bit of capacity.

Actually, in two train operation you can release a second train before the first has hit the final brakes as long as the train that is hitting the final brakes is to clear those final brakes before the train in front of it drops off the lift. It's a blocking system, and it's top of lift to the end of the first brake that needs to be clear to send a train. If the block in front of it is clear, you're good to go.

B&Ms have such good capacity because B&M designs for capacity. Arrow rides, which were also two across, have ridiculous capacity too because that company more or less came into existence thanks to Disney, which was huge on capacity for the longest time (when they ran ride tickets, the more capacity a ride had, the more money it made).

The big thing is how quick it is to check trains, and that is where B&M rules the roost in most cases. Think of your average B&M hyper load / unload - you get in, lower bar, quick check, and go. For Intamin hypers, there is a seat belt that needs to be checked too. That adds load time and decreases capacity. Two train op on longer rides does the same thing.

GateKeeper got over 2.1 million riders last season so I don't think the general public cares that much about a ride's intensity.

The general consensus of GateKeeper from guests last season was "kind of lame." Hence why the ride was basically a walk-on at the end of the night all season long. So I would argue that the general public does care about the ride experience.

^You haven't been to Mrs. Knott's at KBF? Not sure if the quality has gone down since my visit in 2001 but it was actually quite good.

^^That's a shame since Gatekeeper is actually better at night. With the likes of MF, Dragster, and Maverick it doesn't surprise me that folks think it's kind of lame. I've heard similar when I rode X Flight at SFGAm two years ago.

GateKeeper got over 2.1 million riders last season so I don't think the general public cares that much about a ride's intensity.

The general consensus of GateKeeper from guests last season was "kind of lame." Hence why the ride was basically a walk-on at the end of the night all season long. So I would argue that the general public does care about the ride experience.

To be fair, everything in the front of the park is a walk on on most nights. Raptor isn't lame by any stretch but it's line (which is generally full and spilling out onto the midway every morning) is usually empty at night.

going to go ahead and post these:

2014-02-12

Two cars of the first train installed today. (All that I can confirm)

Full res album: http://www.davidwaderich.com/hotlink/KI/TrackComplete

2014-02-13

Five cars of the first train installed today. (Unconfirmed if they were installed on this date)

Full res album: http://www.davidwaderich.com/hotlink/KI/TrackComplete

Edited by DavidW
Ok, question. Why doesn't the splashdown on Italian Job have water in it?

I know it's not Italian Job, but that's what I'm calling it.

I wish ceder fair would add back the effects the ride doesnt feel complete without it

The cars are also able to drift.

That was an idea Paramount had when they approached Premiere with the coaster, but never made it into the final design. Or it went something like that.

I know the water effects have been disabled and the on-board audio stripped for Kings Island and Canada's Wonderland. Think Kings Dominion has the only Backlot Stunt Coaster that still has the water effects. That one was also built a year after the other 2 so that may have something to do with it.