TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Unlike some other advice here Flight Deck is a must ride! While it may be short it packs one heck of a punch.

I completely agree. The last time I was at the park (before Diamondback opened) I thought it was the second best coaster in the park (after Flight of Fear). This ride is definitely a must ride, especially if they still have that short cut from the exit path that lets you re-ride without walking all the way back to the start of the queue.

I passed by Kings Island yesterday to take a look at the updated skyline.

That is so... depressing to say the least. I remember riding SOB in 09' with my cousins , loved that ride...it was just the roughness that hurt it. I remember calling it Son of a B**** after riding it because of the pain, and now I really miss that ride now. It looks like half of the park is missing without it. I'm also happy though, because this opens new doors to KI for an opportunity to something new and better.

So for Xmas yesterday, I got something pretty awesome--a piece of SOB's track. It's kinda special to me since it was the last roller coaster I was able to ride with my dad. We later found out he had a detached retina and couldn't ride anymore because he might go blind. Luckily, we got a non-wheel seat and it didn't kill us (my only ride where it didn't).

No matter how rough the ride was, it's a piece of roller coaster history and it's a really cool thing to have. Now KI just needs to build something halfway decent in that giant plot of land, and we'll be good.

BTW, that piece of track is damn heavy.

My first visit to the park was a Monday and Tuesday in May 2011. Every ride was a walk on and I even had solo rides on Flight Deck, Invertigo, Adventure Express, and The Beast. Fast Pass will not be necessary when you visit more than likely. Half the crowds were school groups that left between 2-3 anyway.

I went on a weekday toward the end of May and the park was packed. Full queues at every ride and lines were spilling onto the midway. We got FastLane... Definitely the BEST $35 I've ever spent! It's crazy how crowds can vary from day to day.

azza29,

I know Cincy schools go until first week of June. I think only universities get out in May but school groups do go there in May. Really it must of been some freak reason the park was crowded in May. I have been almost every weekday in May for the last 2 years and never had a crowd, except on great weather days Planet Snoopy with all the preschool kids and homeschool kids like ours. Early May is really awesome time if the weather is nice.

azza29,

I know Cincy schools go until first week of June. I think only universities get out in May but school groups do go there in May. Really it must of been some freak reason the park was crowded in May. I have been almost every weekday in May for the last 2 years and never had a crowd, except on great weather days Planet Snoopy with all the preschool kids and homeschool kids like ours. Early May is really awesome time if the weather is nice.

Actually some Catholic Schools get let out May 26th or later.

^OMG...that just reminded me of how utterly painful that coaster was & what an extremely terrible layout it had. Even though it was a majestic beauty from ground level or from the parking lot, it has to be #1 as far as one of the most failed coasters in all of theme/amusement park history. Maybe Moonsault Scramble would be #2?

While I never rode it with the loop, it still looks like guests are being shuffled all over the place during the ride.

And the number of "OWWWS" heard in the video are a fitting eulogy to one of the worst coasters ever - good riddance, I say!

^OMG...that just reminded me of how utterly painful that coaster was & what an extremely terrible layout it had. Even though it was a majestic beauty from ground level or from the parking lot, it has to be #1 as far as one of the most failed coasters in all of theme/amusement park history. Maybe Moonsault Scramble would be #2?

While I never rode it with the loop, it still looks like guests are being shuffled all over the place during the ride.

And the number of "OWWWS" heard in the video are a fitting eulogy to one of the worst coasters ever - good riddance, I say!

Trust me. The ride with the old trains was WAY worse than with the Gerstlauers. Imagine feeling every bump and pothole with a heavy Premier lapbar on your legs and stomach. It was pure torture. Funny thing is, I didn't know any better back then. I think I racked up something like 12 to 15 rides on the ride, and it wasn't until the accident in 2006 that I realized how bad the ride actually was.

I gotta say, though. I'm kinda glad that I have this piece of infamous coaster history under my belt.

^^ Oh wow...I kinda figured that the ride would have been much better in it's earlier years. I can't even imagine the ride being much worse than when we rode it about four years ago.

I figured at the time that riding in the front was the wiser move because most rough coasters don't seem to be as bad in the front. I also thought that maybe riding it at night might show some similarities to it's elder father across the park...boy was that a bad call. Not knowing or seeing the transitions made it even worse as we were thrown side to side and were jack-hammered throughout most of the ride. I have never experienced sheer pain on a coaster before until this ride.

I agree with Wes...this is definitely the best coaster news of 2012.

I rode SoB within a week or so of it first opening in 2000. My first ride still ranks as one of the worst coaster rides I've ever experienced (I think it's tied with my first ride on Flight Of Fear with OTSRs at KD). This ride was brutal, painful, and had ZERO redeeming qualities. The layout was awful (anyone that says "oh, it looked so impressive" or whatever and never rode it has no idea what they're talking about), the trains were worse, and the whole thing was just a complete disaster from the first day. The loop was actually the best thing about it, mainly because it stopped the constant jackhammering from the rest of the track for two seconds or so, before you were plunged back into suffering.

This ride has to rank up there with one of the biggest mistakes made by any park ever, and it getting torn down is indeed a highlight of 2012. Replacing it with churro cart would be a vast improvement.

dt

I've only ever had one ride on on Son of Beast (Summer 2009), and that was quite enough pain for me. The first drop was probably the best part of the coaster. After that was just so much jack hammering! SoB made Mean Streak seem glass smooth!

Never rode it, but I have to say, when I visited Kings Island this year, it was definitely an eye sore. Good riddance!

I just visited the park this summer and I have to say that the whole Action Zone part of the park is an eyesore compared to the rest of the park. Hopefully when the new attraction gets built where SOB was, much of that area gets lots of paint and TLC (maybe even a retheme!).