TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 829: Adventure Port themed area announced for 2023!

Okay, now that I got that out. I have rode Vortex 9 times last year and 5 times this year. Like all Arrows, if you know how to ride them, they are amazing. I had little to no problems. The only ride I can think of in this segment that would be an upgrade in terms of intensity would be something like Maverick but even then CP already has it. B&M whatever doesn't have the intensity that this does and they are becoming Boring & Monotonous with each addition. I'll tell you what isn't aging well is Diamondback, that thing vibrates more than the Boss with its Gerstlauer trains.

I've never been convinced by the "if you know how to ride them" argument. My take is that any coaster that you must "know how to ride" isn't aging well or wasn't particularly well designed in the first place.

Well then, I guess the Batman and the Raptor aren't aging well or not particularly well designed in the first place, because not only have I had some issues with them but I have read others express such. Or heck, I had more head banging with the Maverick (I don't fault it because Intamin for some reason actually has a soft OTSR that doesn't hurt).

Arrows are not that hard to ride correctly. You just need to have the restraint as tight as possible, sit as tall as possible pressing your shoulder up against the restraint to reduce movement, put exert pressure inwardly on the handles to ensure you stay as centered as possible.

Again, why not instead come up with a solution that is a compromise like modifying the trains or if need be have new trains with lap bar restraints.

While this despite this being their oldest steel coaster that it still ranked 4th in terms of rides for this year, I would say it that still draws people in and would be worth a refresh. It was because of this coaster & the Flight Deck that I came to KI the last two years. No B&M will accomplish this.

Let's not forget MACK and Gerstlauer are becoming bigger and bigger with steel loopers. They are capable of building a more "classic looper" (2 across seating) than anyone else.

Vortex was ok in it's first few years, but those curves and transitions always hurt. If they could replace the trains with nice lap bars models of some sort (and perhaps make a few other changes) - that could make a great ride. But I doubt CF/KI would go that route. CF is more about scrapping things...

I like Arrows for the coathanger track, at least when it provides airtime (Magnum, anybody?), and Vortex is a decent ride. I hope it doesn't go - I mean, other Arrow coasters are older than it, but I guess every ride gets torn down sometime.

I'm loving the Ouimet era of Cedar Fair: Adding a paid queue skipping option, changing the chain over to Coke products, and getting rid of terrible rides like Vortex and SOB. What's not to like? This is one CEO who is definitely earning his comp.

Vortex is a very good coaster. Its very iconic in the area and its not that painful. I will proably start a group on facebook called save vortex if they TAERED it down.

^But not if they "tore" it down?

^While we appreciate your feelings regarding the ride, I need to remind you that your posting style is currently not in line with our Terms of Service. Please use proper capitalization and punctuation in your posts from now on.

Having ridden Son of Beast during its time with the loop, I enjoyed it. Looking back at its troubled journey, I accept its demolition as a necessary step for the park to replace it with something more functional, more exciting and ultimately, less risky.

Edited by jedimaster1227

^I just shot them an email, so expect demolition to begin within the next few days.

Maybe they'll replace it with an over-produced light show with questionable choreography and cringe-worthy vocals.

Talking about tearing down a coaster.

Check this video out - http://telly.com/627VV From Greg Scheid's (GM of Kings Island) Twitter acount

Awesome...next up - Vortex and Flight Deck!!!

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they demolished all of the coasters at Kings Island except Beast and Diamondback.

I would be OK with Beast being demolished too! Probably the most overrated coaster I have been on IMO.

Edited by Jew

Talking about tearing down a coaster.

Check this video out - http://telly.com/627VV From Greg Scheid's (GM of Kings Island) Twitter acount

Awesome...next up - Vortex and Flight Deck!!!

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they demolished all of the coasters at Kings Island except Beast and Diamondback.

I would be OK with Beast being demolished too! Probably the most overrated coaster I have been on IMO.

I second that, really overhyped.

It was built in 1993.

Oh, right. How did I screw that math up?!? Am I allowed to use my "I'm an art student now" card right now?

Is Beast really that dull? It certainly looks more fun (and less painful) than that other coaster that goes on forever, The Ultimate.