TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Yeah if it is a dinosaur walk attraction I'll be a little disappointed. Not because I don't like the attraction, It does sound like a great concept for families and kids and should utilize the surrounding land very well, I just hate how parks these days market everything as "BIG" and something huge, and "millions of years in the making" with the teasers and all. Parks seem to make every little addition seem like the worlds next biggest baddest greatest whatever. Oh well.

DINOSAURS ALIVE:

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/park/mud/index.cfm

Dinosaurs roar to life in the world's largest animatronic dinosaur park at Kings Island

Dinosaurs Alive! at Kings Island debuts May 26, 2011

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – Visitors to Kings Island will have an opportunity to step back in time to periods between 245 million to 65 million years ago when the world's largest animatronic dinosaur park debuts May 26, 2011. More than 60 life-sized dinosaurs will be on display in Dinosaurs Alive! at Kings Island, including 56 animatronic models, in a spectacular outdoor Jurassic forest setting.

The multi-sensory and interactive dinosaur park brings inspiration, science and technology together at Kings Island where guests will also hear the sounds and see the movements of 60-plus full-sized animatronic creations made to replicate nearly every feature of the dinosaurs. Each of the animatronic dinosaurs is hand-carved and covered with skin-like materials.

The six main scenes and nine thematic exhibits found along the more than 4,000-foot long path spread over 12.5 wooded acres tells a very compelling story for guests about what the dinosaurs ate, when and where they lived, how they protected themselves, and how they adapted to their prehistoric world.

The highlight of Dinosaurs Alive! is the world's largest animatronic dinosaur, the Ruyang Yellow River dinosaur, which measures an incredible 72 feet long, 12 feet wide and 30 feet high! Other animatronic dinosaurs include the vicious looking Irratator and its cousins, the Baryonyx and the Spinosaurus, the lizard-like Stegosaurus, the meat-eating Tyrannosaurs Rex, three-horned Triceratops and the flying Pteranodon.

Four of the dinosaurs have interactive consoles which allow guests to guide dinosaur movement so they can see how scientists believe each dinosaur moved its arms, tail, mouth and eyes. Other highlights include an excavation site replica, a kids' paleontological dig site where visitors can uncover prehistoric fossils, and a 1,500 square-foot dinosaur-themed gift shop that will feature more than 500 items.

"Dinosaurs Alive! is a long-term investment and reflects our commitment to providing our guests with world-class thrills, fun and family entertainment," Kings Island vice president and general manager Greg Scheid said. "The sights, sounds and movements of the life-like dinosaurs will excite and educate guests of all ages."

The dinosaurs, which are scientifically accurate based on the latest paleontological knowledge, were created by the Canada-based company Dinosaurs Unearthed.

Dinosaurs Unearthed is an innovative traveling exhibition company that creates dynamic, multi-sensory experiences about the fascinating world of dinosaur discovery. Launched in 2005, the company offers unique, multi-faceted exhibitions to museums, science centers and zoos throughout the world.

Dinosaurs Alive! at Kings Island will be open daily beginning May 26 from 10:00 a.m. until dusk. The dinosaur park is not included with general park admission or a 2011 season pass. A separate admission ticket of just $5.00 is required for this major attraction.

Guests visiting Kings Island can purchase Dinosaurs Alive! admission tickets at the park or in advance online through the park's website at www.visitkingsisland.com.

Kings Island is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Kings Island, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

I don't know how this is going to go over as an up charge, even though its only $5. Id pay $5 to walk through it but thats me. Its funny reading all of the negative comments about the concept on Kings Islands Facebook page. Lets just hope they use they area for a kick ass haunt come Halloween time.

Also does it seem strange to anyone else that this whole project was just recently teased, then officially announced, and is supposed to open this may? Almost seems like that attraction wasn't originally planned just maybe happened some how or another. Maybe there was a sale at the Dino-animatronics-R-us or something. But the timing of the projects seems kinda strange to me.

If it means the attraction is going to be higher quality and they will upkeep it well, then I think the $5 is worth it. I'd rather that be the case than it being included with admission and end up becoming some dilapidated thing a few years down the road.

And honestly, people get to ride a $22 million steel monster for absolutely nothing extra, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Oh I totally agree I'm just saying I got a feeling the majority of park guests might not want to pay an up charge(however small) for something like this. I also wonder if the attraction will have a separate entrance and exit area maybe outside of the park so that school groups could attend without requiring a full park admission. That would seem logical especially if this place is indeed large enough to function as a stand alone attraction and merit the up charge. I also wonder if Kings Island has future plans for this area. Maybe drop the upcharge fee after a few years and expand into a whole Dino themed park area with a dark ride some kids rides and maybe a coaster (GCI Dino Twister would be great hint hint). And if you do have plans Kings Island, make sure Chester and Hester keep their traveling dinosaur roadshow in Orlando! That crap isn't even nice enough for Cedar Fair!

I checked the Kings Island Facebook page and February 4th was the first time they hinted about a possible new attraction of some sort with plan and drawings. It may have been in development long before February but teasing in February, announcing in march, and opening in May seems like very strange timing to me.

I agree, the upcharge will probably steer some people away, even at just $5.00. But I like the idea personally, and my seven year old will probably still enjoy it, (for this season anyway). I think it would be a great benefit to KI to advertise this to local schools, (I'm sure they probably already have actually). You know that KI will make this attraction look good too. The landscaping and design will be excellent, it won't look like some "Dinosaur-walk roadside attraction like they had in the 70's. Kudos to KI for this one, (just really think about dropping the upcharge asap).

Okay, hearing more about it makes me kind of excited for this. I thought it was going to be upcharge, but $5 seems like a steal for what they're delivering. The special interactive exhibits sound awesome as well. If I'm thinking correctly I've seen this group's work before. They brought their exhibits to an interactive science museum in Charlotte once, and I thought it was pretty cool there, but this will be on the large scale. Definitely a positive addition and I would be more than happy to drop $5 to see this.

and a 1,500 square-foot dinosaur-themed gift shop that will feature more than 500 items.

The most important part of the exhibit, I'm sure

I agree, the upcharge will probably steer some people away, even at just $5.00. But I like the idea personally, and my seven year old will probably still enjoy it, (for this season anyway).

In an era with kids seem to have shorter and shorter attention spans the "for this season anyway" part of your post may be key. I like what the park is trying to do with this attraction, I think its a great family/school group addition, but I think if the up charge stays past this year its popularity may wane rapidly, barring any additions to the area. I'm interested to see just how well this does.

Considering what you pay to get into the park, $5 really isn't any more money. No one is forcing you to pay it or see the dinosaurs.

I find it funny people will pay $5 for a Coke, $10 for a slice of pizza, and $15 to park on broken pavement, but they will complain tooth and nail about $5 to see dinosaurs.

Wow, Jeff Johnson is now an upcharge, is that a tactic to suppress high demand?

Meanwhile, NASA scientists continue looking for a number high enough to express JJ's credit count.

I'm more interested as to whether King's Island is in league with the Empire (Industries).

Considering what you pay to get into the park, $5 really isn't any more money. No one is forcing you to pay it or see the dinosaurs.

I find it funny people will pay $5 for a Coke, $10 for a slice of pizza, and $15 to park on broken pavement, but they will complain tooth and nail about $5 to see dinosaurs.

Yeah I think the price for the attraction is more than reasonable at $5 I just seems like every past visit Ive had to Kings Island the parks attendance is made up more of younger teenage to early/mid 20's thrill ride type people and not that kind of people that would be interested in a Dinosaur walk through regardless of the admission price. Although I'm sure theres enough younger children and families (and Dinosaur enthusiasts) to justify the attraction. I still think the timing of the whole project is really weird but oh well.

Son of Beast injury case settled

LEBANON - A Kentucky man's lawsuit against Kings Island for a Son of Beast ride accident was settled Monday as jury selection was getting under way in Warren County.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

Jonathan M. Yanik. 20, had sued the company that owns the Mason amusement park, Cedar Fair, in connection with an 2006 roller-coaster accident that hurt 27 people. His case was filed in 2010 and alleged he sustained a shoulder injury.

The lawsuit was the last of five cases that riders had filed.

The ride did not operate last year.

Yeah I think the price for the attraction is more than reasonable at $5 I just seems like every past visit Ive had to Kings Island the parks attendance is made up more of younger teenage to early/mid 20's thrill ride type people and not that kind of people that would be interested in a Dinosaur walk through regardless of the admission price. Although I'm sure theres enough younger children and families (and Dinosaur enthusiasts) to justify the attraction. I still think the timing of the whole project is really weird but oh well.

Might this possibly help the park with sales to schools in the area? Not sure how "educational" trips are defined in that area.