TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Hey! Maybe you can see the KI Windseeker from the CP Windseeker!

Kidding of course, just poking fun at how close together these two are!

This brought me joy!

I'm still of the mind that this is a great decision by Cedar Fair. More flats is always good and although not inexpensive, a heck of a lot cheaper than a mega/hyper/giga/whatever.

Plus - as I said before, these things look TERRIFYING to me.

David

I can't wait until physics day when the students get to calculate Windseekers "puke diameter". From 300 feet at it's given location, I would hypothesize that it is possible to hit Racer and Vortex. Though with it's long and winding queue, the 3D Action theater would take quite a bit of hurl power and may be unreachable. Of course, the midaway is always fair game.

I'm more than satisfied with the additions and am pleased CF decided to share the wealth next year. Every few years I'd rather see 4 parks get a major flat than just one get a coaster.

I totally understand Knotts, CP, and CW getting this ride, but I'm confused about KI and CP getting the same ride. They seem a little close to be getting identical rides the same year.

I don't think that this will be too big of a problem in the extreme north and south parts of the state, as Kings Island and its additions are rarely mentioned up here in Cleveland, and it's probably similar for Cedar Point down in Cincinnati (especially with lower-key attractions). I don't think that many people who regular one park or the other will have that big of a problem with a park they are unfamiliar with getting the same ride. Granted, it is still a little weird that parks four hours apart are getting similar attractions, and it will lead to some interesting marketing in the Columbus area. "New in 2011 at Cedar Point, Windseeker! New at Kings Island, err, the, um, exact same thing!"

Granted, it is still a little weird that parks four hours apart are getting similar attractions, and it will lead to some interesting marketing in the Columbus area. "New in 2011 at Cedar Point, Windseeker! New at Kings Island, err, the, um, exact same thing!"

I dunno, I don't see it much different than when a video game comes out for both PS3 and 360. "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - now for your PS3 and Xbox 360!" So no matter what console you have, you win!

I am having a hard time pin pointing where exactly the ride will be located in the coney mall. My first thought would be where the flight commander was, but it looks further down like where arcade is.

That was my first thought but I think the actual tower may be where the old Cinema 180/Laser Tag thingy used to be next to the restrooms. They'll probably use the old Flight Commander area and the hardly used concession stand next to it for the queue.

I'm actually thrilled that KI is getting this and putting the ride in that particular area of Coney Mall. That area has needed some sort of rejuvenation since there are only three rides at that end of the mall. Plus I have to say "yay" for Mondial since it's been quite awhile since we've seen anything from them added to a park. Let's hope we'll start seeing more of their products installed in the U.S.

The last time Kings Island advertised up here in Cleveland was when Boomerang Bay was new. Before that it was Drop Zone and Face/Off so basically we don't hear much about the park here.

I hate to say it, but aesthetically, KI's Windseeker is the worst of the 4. The location is horrible among the tall coasters, and too far back in the park to make an effect on the park skyline. Its cool that we're getting one, but KI already has multiple tower rides, and 2 other sets of swing rides....Sad face, Cedar Fair, sad face.

I hate to say it, but aesthetically, KI's Windseeker is the worst of the 4. The location is horrible among the tall coasters, and too far back in the park to make an effect on the park skyline. Its cool that we're getting one, but KI already has multiple tower rides, and 2 other sets of swing rides....Sad face, Cedar Fair, sad face.

Are you kidding me?

A 300 foot tower is going to be seen for miles around, no matter where it is in the park.

I'm just saying...compared to Canada's view of all the themed attractions, KB's decorated top and good placement, and CP's beachside view, another tall view of a midway isnt that special. We already have multiple rides that do that....

I personally don't see the problem with four identical rides, even in the CP vs KI case. I think its basically a branding technique for Cedar Fair as a corporation. With a ride like Windseeker, being a three hundred foot tower ride, it's appearance alone will become a highly defining element to all of these park's skyline, creating a similarity among parks which the general public can clearly recognize. Then they can relate the parks and feel more compelled to go biased on a familiar positive experience at one park, expecting the same along with completely new experiences unique to the other park.

I see where people are coming from with saying it's bad marketing, but i still don't think its a huge deal. Really, they're just good solid additions to these parks which will help the overall guest experience, making future visits more likely. Plus when you compare the five million dollar price tag to Cedar Fair's past coaster investments like I305 or Dimondback, there isn't as demanding a need for a huge marketing payoff to compensate the costs.

^Exactly. And they offer an exciting ride that isn't all that intense that most people can ride (low height limit). I think these additions will work great towards rounding out all of the parks' flat lineups for a low cost relative to some of the more recent major rides Cedar Fair has put in their parks.

KI and CP both have a scrambler, and they both have a huss giant frisbee, carousel, troika, wave swinger, and now a windseeker.

Sorry, I just don't see the problem with two parks this close together getting the same flat ride... It isn't like a coaster where layout is an issue. The ride is pretty much the same thing no matter what, as it is a giant flat ride. I'm really glad both parks got one! Now Kings Island needs a ferris wheel again...

I dunno, I don't see it much different than when a video game comes out for both PS3 and 360. "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - now for your PS3 and Xbox 360!" So no matter what console you have, you win!

I guess when put into terms like that, the whole decision makes a LOT more sense. It still seems a little weird to some extent, but really, who cares? Four parks are getting brand new rides, which should make anyone squeal with delight!

Edited by BigDipper 80

I'm just saying...compared to Canada's view of all the themed attractions, KB's decorated top and good placement, and CP's beachside view, another tall view of a midway isnt that special. We already have multiple rides that do that....

I get to get on one sooner without you in line... fine by me.

I'm pleased with Cedar Fair's decision to put in 4 of these. I'm glad KI is getting one. I can't wait to get on it! I think it might have been better to put one in at Carowinds or another CF park instead of 2 in Ohio but whatever, I'm just excited to get on this thing and I'm looking forward to what CF has in store for the next few years!

I live in Cincinnati but grew up two hours north. Since moving down here, I have found that a lot of people in Cincinnati (hesitant to say majority although that would characterize my co-workers) don't know about or care about Cedar Point. They have a great amusement park just up the road, so to speak, and Cedar Point doesn't advertise down here as much. When I convinced a group from Cinci to road trip up to Sandusky, they were blown away by the fact that there was another great amusement park in Ohio. So, having two Windseekers in the same state won't cause much impact either way. Plus, four hours doesn't seem like that long of a drive until you have a car packed with kids and you have the alternative of a 20 minute drive. I was still hoping for a Son of Beast replacement but would actually accept a Halloween marshmellow roast over its timbers.

I'm glad to see kings Island FINALLY put something on the old Flight Commander site (which is where the pictures make it look like this thing is going). That site has been empty for what seems like forever now. I hope these Windseekers are as much fun as the Star Flyers although i have a weird feeling they wont be. I mean part of the thrill for me of the star flyer is the terrifying nature of the restraints and the endless series of tiny tiny tiny chain links that your hanging from hundreds of feet in the air. These windseekers have fairly beefy restraints and legitimate looking pivot arms that may or may not give the 'terrifyingly insecure' feeling that the star flyer gives, and that make the Star Flyer so much fun. Also the ride program shown in the video of these windseekers just shows the vehicle rising to the top, rotating, then decending with no vertical movement on the tower during the ride cycle. my favorite part of the Star flyer sequence is the vehicles actually rise and fall a little bit which creates a pretty cool negative g like sensation. Anyways, I hope these Windseekers are a hit, but I think they look the Vekomas of the high altitude circular chair swing flat rides. Stay Flyers are B&M, Windseekers are Vekoma, at least until I actually take a ride and change my opinion.