TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I'll be another supporter. Although it was rough, I really enjoyed the ride back in 2001 on my first ride. I will say, 2004 and my last ride in 2007 were a lot less enjoyable. But, I think the ride has potential. I think Mean Streak is in a similar boat (as are several at my lovely home park off I-20 here in GA that could be better used as scrap at this point). Given the size of these coasters, integrating steel would still give a pretty cool experience. This trend of steel-ing wooden coasters isn't my favorite, but I'm more in favor of this installation. Just my $0.02!

^ Adding steel to a coaster with a boring layout just makes it a smoother coaster with a boring layout...

To make it worthwhile and move up Mitch's poll from the very bottom, they would have to reprofile the first drop much steeper, and get rid of one of the helices and either throw in some airtime elements OR add the loop back in. This seems like throwing a ton of money at something not worth it, when they can get a whole new ride for less cost. How about a terrain-hugging Intamin Megalite? A GCI going through the valley, or even a Gravity Group twister screaming through the back of Action Zone. I'm sorry to those who may have enjoyed the coaster some, but I really fail to see why you would prefer a fixed up SoB to a new ride.

^^^ I am one of the few that would like to ride a SOB with no rose bowl ( airtime hills and a high turnaround instead) and the return of the loop.

I also believe the premier trains were no where near as rough as those hurricane 5 G trains! Those G trains are what made SOB unbearably rough IMHO. The dimensions of the track are a little larger than your average woodie I believe, which is why the G trains suck even worse than the premier trains.

It could easily cost several million dollars to demolish and dispose of this ride. I know it's cool to say just burn it down, but it'd be a tremendous waste considering the main structure is still good. Get rid of the crappy trains and the crappy track and put something good on there. Bring on the Texas Giant style refurbishment, I say.

Edited by Shavethewhales

Okay, so the layout is boring?

The Jackrabbit, Apollo's Chariot, Magnum XL 200, Comet, and don't get me started on the shuttle loops... I am having a hard time seeing the justification for tearing down a ride because it has a boring layout. I thought being 200ft in the air made the ride exciting, but that's just me.

I am actually hoping for the best with Son of Beast. I rode it back in 2004 when it still had the loop and the Premier trains, and I honestly loved every second of it. I don't remember it being unbearably jarring or painful, and I remember the loop being my favorite part of the ride. For better or for worse, it was my favorite wooden coaster for many years (considering that it had only been stacked up against Gwazi and the Dania Beach Hurricane for several years in my list) and I truly cherish what an incredible experience I had on the ride, considering how much justifiably negative feedback has surrounded the ride.

The only real option that I could see Kings Island rolling with at this point in the game would be to contract Rocky Mountain Amusements to use the same methods behind the current Texas Giant renovation. I still believe that the loop was the greatest, (smoothest,) most exciting and most marketable aspect of Son of Beast's layout, and with that in mind, I feel that with a steel track added, the possibility of the loop's return wouldn't be out of the question.

I really hope that this coaster gets a third lease on life, but I'm about as optimistic about this one as I was with Freestyle Music Park during last Summer's visit.

Edited by jedimaster1227

^

I am actually hoping for the best with Son of Beast. I rode it back in 2004 when it still had the loop and the Premier trains, and I honestly loved every second of it. I don't remember it being unbearably jarring or painful, and I remember the loop being my favorite part of the ride. For better or for worse.... I truly cherish what an incredible experience I had on the ride, considering how much justifiably negative feedback has surrounded the ride.

I agree with everything you stated, however, during my ride in 2008, I felt a pothole somewhere towards the back of the ride.

I rode SOB in 2000 when it opened and 2008 was my only other ride.

I know I'm in the minority, but I love this coaster. The height, the speed, the loop when it was still in tact...

I'm happy to hear KI is trying to save the coaster.

^^ Ya but the Texas Giant rehab is $10 million and it is what, half the size of SOB? Meaning that the cost to do the retrofitting would be roughly $15 to $20 million? That's just stupid IMHO. Also, wouldn't they have to create more track and supports if they take the rose bowl out, which would cost them even more? It just sounds like that anyway that you look at it, SOB is going to cost around what they got Diamondback for if you changed the track or layout. I'm all for the return of the loop but I dont think that that would happen because the loop was taken out because of the stress on the track that couldn't or wouldn't be fixed? Or did I miss something? To save it, I think that all new trains are needed, designed for just this coaster. Sure they would be several million but I would be great to keep the rose bowl because I think that it reminds me of the Beast and that helix. Would the new trains going on The Voyage work or millennium flyers? The ride now is just crap but if they added the loop back into the equation, then I think that it should be saved.

Sorry for the rant, just finished graduation invites.

To save it, I think that all new trains are needed, designed for just this coaster. Sure they would be several million but I would be great to keep the rose bowl because I think that it reminds me of the Beast and that helix. Would the new trains going on The Voyage work or millennium flyers? .

GCI requires that they properly prepare a coaster and do a rehab on it to get Millenium Flyers if it isn't a coaster they built. You're still in it for a ton of money to have GCI do that. They may not even approve the coaster for their trains since they seem to be very selective over the coasters that can use Millenium Flyers.

The Jackrabbit, Apollo's Chariot, Magnum XL 200, Comet, and don't get me started on the shuttle loops... I am having a hard time seeing the justification for tearing down a ride because it has a boring layout. I thought being 200ft in the air made the ride exciting, but that's just me.

Really? Comparing SoB with Apollo's Chariot and Magnum? Both of these have something going for them: Airtime. SoB has NONE. The layout is the reason it has no airtime. Beast has no airtime either, but the layout is not boring. It races through the woods and underground in tunnels and the helix at the end is nicely done. It's braked to all hell but it still can provide an amusing night ride. I can't speak for the Comet, as I have not ridden, but comparing SoB to the other 3 is quite laughable. If being high in the air makes you excited, you can always go up in the eiffel tower at KI, it's over 100 feet taller, and the elevator ride back down provides more negative g's than SoB. I feel the train at KI has a more exciting layout. At least it goes over a bridge and by White Water Canyon.

Beast has no airtime either, but the layout is not boring. It races through the woods and underground in tunnels and the helix at the end is nicely done. It's braked to all hell but it still can provide an amusing night ride.

I disagree with you.

I think the Beast's layout is incredibly boring, at least until the drop into the final helix.

While I understand that the Beast became the benchmark in the 70's for every wooden coaster built until the newer GCII's, TGG's, and Intamin woodies came out, I just don't think it's all that great of a ride or layout.

Beast is best at night no doubt but that can be said about a lot of coasters.

The Beast is very flat and has little to offer other than racing through the woods and the final helix.

^^^^ I was making the point that a layout has little to do with the experience. Regardless, I think the layout of SoB is good for a coaster of its size. I say replace the existing track with the track El Toro uses and use those trains.

Btw, the whole "burn it" thing is getting old. Not too long ago arson use to be a problem for amusement parks. Look at Conneaut Lake Park's old ballroom. Anyway, I just don't like to hear things like that being said repeatedly because you never know.

ballroom1.jpg.5b8e6ddb84e6983ca11574f0f9430b58.jpg

Yeah, but layout implies design, and SoB's design is flawed. Burn it down. In all seriouslness, I don't think the Beast is a very good ride either, but two coasters that do nothing except have helices is too many for one park. The Beast is more fun than SoB, although being hit in the head with a blunt object can be more fun than SoB. I wouldn't hold your breath for SoB to reopen. Best move on with your life. There's other fish in the sea, ones that won't send trainloads of riders to the hospital. It's time to get back out there and ride some new rides. You'll love again, I know breakups are hard, but it's for the best.

Wow....I rode SoB in 2008 and again in 2009 and I didn't find it anywhere as near as rough as Texas Giant. The last time I rode Texas Giant was in 2005 and THAT was absolutely unbearable. Sore back and horrible headache after every visit to SFoT and riding Texas Giant. Never happened with SoB. I'm definitely one who'd hate to see it go. As far as lawsuits is concerned......I don't think SoB had half as many lawsuits as the Rattler so I'm sure they're going to try and salvage it.

Is it any possibility that Kings Island may fix the right and subrogate to the original builder to recover the costs?

Just a thought.

Please don't bite my head off because I like the ride..... you say tomato..I say vodka.

Sure, I've had some "good" rides on SOB in the 9 years I've attended Kings Island. But even the BEST ride I've ever had on SOB (2008, July 4th at night while the fireworks were going off, and the MCBR was off) was still very rough, and still not high on my wooden coaster list. A good ride came up maybe twice a season.

So what, 2 good rides a year out of maybe....20-30 rides a season?

Meh.

Supposedly GCII was the one who had the unsatisfactory decision from Kings Island. Remember though, this is just what a friend of mine told me. I'm NOT saying it is true, or that you should believe it, I just felt like it was worth posting!

If it was GCI, I wonder why their solution was deemed unsatisfactory.

My guess would be the park doesn't want to invest in new trains so soon after replacing the premier ones and that was a part of the GCI proposal.

I liked it...

Please, guys, stop it with the "burn it down" posts. It has already been proven that this wood cannot be burned.

Seriously...I tink the burn it down posts are just a figure of speech for people to express their feelings that they didn't like the ride and would rather see it gone. I don't think it's something to get your panties in a knot over.

--Robb "Burn it down." Alvey