TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Obviously it's not something Kings Island 'chose' to do. They were kind of forced into it. I really did enjoy Nick Universe, and I will definately miss it. I suppose change is good. I need to get back to this park, and ride The Beast again, although I've heard that the trim brakes are killing the ride.

John Peck said, "as guest favorites still remain to be the Beast, Vortex and now Diamondback." I would also add Flight Of Fear and Firehawk to that list. Those rides always have huge lines on them too. FOF I love and understand the reason for it's popularity, but Firehawk...I just don't get the love people have for that thing.

Firehawk doesn't usually have a huge line, but the capacity is so low and the cycling times are so bad that it has huge waits. Huge waits and huge lines are different things. A lot of people who don't know better seem to enjoy Firehawk. I am not one of them.

-James Dillaman

Yep, I've been on Tatsu (rode it a month after it opened, so probably when it was at it's smoothest ever) and Superman at Great Adventure. I don't find Firehawk to be that rough, and/or unenjoyable. It's definitely a different experience from a B&M flyer.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your point and where you are coming from. I just wanted to make it a point of my own that not everyone ("in the know" or not) has the same views. Just because a ride is rough, doesn't automatically make it unenjoyable and a horrible ride. I also thoroughly enjoyed Viper, Colossus, X, Ninja, Deja Vu, etc. at SFMM...also coasters that could be considered "rough" and unenjoyable to some.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Jamesdillaman said, "...Firehawk doesn't usually have a huge line, but the capacity is so low and the cycling times are so bad that it has huge waits. Huge waits and huge lines are different things."

Point taken James. Now that I think about it, that coasters problems are mainly in the queing, and some mechanical issues. But KI does seem to have a better hold on that coaster than GL did, it took me four trips to that park before I finally got to ride it. It was never running up there.

Firehawk is a lot better at KI than it was at Geauga Lake...at GL it was just painful. But I may feel this way because I've been riding Superman @ SFGAm the past two seasons, and B&M just rocks compared to those Vekoma "Flying Dutchman" models.

Firehawk's issues at KI just seem to be more operator/queing from my experience. I was saying that when it was at GL it took me four trips to the park before I got to ride it the first time. I seem to remember it was either down for mechanical issues, or they simply wouldn't open it because of park attendance/understaffing.

SF really missed the boat on that coaster to me. GL really didn't need that coaster back then, it could've done more good at another SF park. GL already had nine other coasters, (among those were Superman, Batman, Villain, Serial Thriller, ect.)

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2010/03/kings_island_hopeful_new_owner_or_not.html

"Kings Island may change hands Tuesday, stepping up pressure on the local manager to re-open what has become one of the costliest amusement park rides in Midwest history.

A special meeting by Kings Island’s owner, Sandusky-based Cedar Fair, to consider New York-based Apollo Global Management’s buyout offer was scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Kings Island General Manager Greg Scheid, in an interview for the Business Courier’s “Fifth Third Business Beat” weekly TV show, says the ownership change won’t be seen by park customers on opening day April 17.

What is clear is that Son of Beast, closing in on a $30 million investment, will remain closed for the foreseeable future, said Scheid. An accident July 9, 2006, injured 28 people when a timber on the roller coaster’s frame snapped. The coaster was considered the largest, tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in the world.

“Eight days after I took over, the accident occurred,” said Scheid. “We have struggled with it ever since. We have smoothed out the ride. Most people will say they are comfortable with the ride, but I am not comfortable with the ride.”

Attendance at Kings Island increased in 2009 thanks to the new $22 million Diamondback roller coaster. Scheid, who oversees the No. 35-ranked organization on the Courier 250, is hopeful for 2010. Kings Island has 130 full-time workers, but hires 4,000 for the summer.

“I’m cautiously optimistic that things are going to improve,” Scheid said. “Last year, we saw a huge decrease in group sales. Companies cut their budgets or cut way back. This summer, we’re seeing some of those companies come back but a large number of companies are waiting until the ninth inning to make a decision.”

A revamped kids section – conversion from the Nickledeon theme to Peanuts’ Planet Snoopy – is the parks’ major marketing initiative in 2010.

“We have just kicked off this past week a Snoopy initiative,” said Scheid. “We are taking Snoopy out to schools, churches, the public. We want to make sure everyone in Greater Cincinnati understands who Snoopy is. Our goal is to reach 1 million Tri-State youth.”

See the full interview here. http://cetconnect.org/OnlineVideo/CurrentAffairs.aspx "

“Eight days after I took over, the accident occurred,” said Scheid. “We have struggled with it ever since. We have smoothed out the ride. Most people will say they are comfortable with the ride, but I am not comfortable with the ride.”

This attitude=FAIL. Obviously safety is important, but if they are holding back opening the ride because this guy is demanding even more...that's just too much. It's just like Cedar Point being terrified of rain after the Magnum accident.

They need to either demolish the ride, or be happy with the job engineers have done refurbishing as much as their budget allowed and reopen the ride.

$30 Million....

God I hate that son of a beast...

Me too. That's about the price tag of a B&M and a new woodie.

If it weren't for SOB, Kings Island might be one of the best parks out there right now.

Agreed. A B&M hyper could have easily fit in SOB's area. And 8M left over for a new GCI woodie or something. Sigh. But hey we have a rockin' B&M now, so I'm not complaining anymore.