TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

The Action Zone has been lame off and on for quite some time. I remember back in 2001 I believe calling it the 'No-Action Zone', since everything was always broken and/or running like crap.

Agreed! This past year was the first time I had been to the park that Invertigo was actually running.....

I personally don't see a B&M invert coming. I'm sure it's plausible, and there are many different terrains to work with.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

While all of your points are valid and I personally agree with, it's not in Cedar Fair's immediate business model to play deep into things like general rehab (Yes, rides get their TLC every off season, but nothing else does) so general upkeep isn't what CF thinks is going to get an increase in turnstile spins. What has me hinting at an invert is simply this:

1. King's Island doesn't have one.

2. The latter half of the previous decade saw many coaster additions to Cedar Fair. A GCI here, a Mack there, a Zamerla this way and a Vekoma that, but the last 10 years of all CF installations ave been dominated by B&M or Intamin. This is a trend I look to continue and for a park the scale of Kings Island I look for them to add an invert has CF has shown throguh previous purchasing that they are more prom to the B&M model than an SLC. (They haven't "bought" any that I'm aware of)

So I'm not saying that it'll happen soon. I'm not saying it's going to be the parks next addition. But it will happen.

I personally don't see a B&M invert coming. I'm sure it's plausible, and there are many different terrains to work with.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

While all of your points are valid and I personally agree with, it's not in Cedar Fair's immediate business model to play deep into things like general rehab (Yes, rides get their TLC every off season, but nothing else does) so general upkeep isn't what CF thinks is going to get an increase in turnstile spins. What has me hinting at an invert is simply this:

1. King's Island doesn't have one.

2. The latter half of the previous decade saw many coaster additions to Cedar Fair. A GCI here, a Mack there, a Zamerla this way and a Vekoma that, but the last 10 years of all CF installations ave been dominated by B&M or Intamin. This is a trend I look to continue and for a park the scale of Kings Island I look for them to add an invert has CF has shown throguh previous purchasing that they are more prom to the B&M model than an SLC. (They haven't "bought" any that I'm aware of)

So I'm not saying that it'll happen soon. I'm not saying it's going to be the parks next addition. But it will happen.

Sorry Steve, I didn't mention Skyflier. Eh, I wouldn't know how good it is...I don't really know the crew, and I haven't had a bad experience so that's all I got. I wouldn't know the difference when it comes to how high you're up....it's a fun ride though!

I'd love to see a B&M Invert put in, and yeah it would be a great addition because KI needs to continue with adding newer-age things. Most of what Kings Island has are rides that are PAST tallest/fastest/best coasters. Now there's not much left to offer when it comes to quality. The only quality rides I think KI has would be Diamondback, Drop Tower, Flight of Fear, and Beast. I'm really back and forth on Beast, but it's fun at night time.

Even though people have been complaining about B&M's recent invert's lack of forces, I've seen some pretty cool stuff. Remember that Phaethon coaster over in Korea or something? That ride looked pretty damn good! As much as I'd like to see KI put in a new coaster soon, there's a few other things that need adressing first.

I see a serious lack of good rides in the waterpark. I go maybe once a year on a dead day to hit up the Proslide Tornado, Mat Racers, and the Florider. Everything else (I'm pretty sure) is from the 80's. The body slides are the WORST slides I've ever been on...filled with fiberglass! I've been dying to see something new come to Boomerang Bay. The latest addition was in 2004. The waterpark is usually packed on a summer day, families take advantage of "Two parks for the price of one." I love waterslides almost as much as coasters, and this is something that KI just needs to do.

Other issues would be SOB, ride paint, and all around atmosphere needs to be brightened up. Which was improved last year: adding nicer fences, bushes, flowers, etc.

There is a general consensus that everything broken at the park can be fixed right away.. and thats just not the case. They have only had the park for 3.5 years now.

Say what you will about Cedar Fair management, but they have put a ton of money into that park already and Planet Snoopy is still going to have a hefty price tag as well.

Paramount really did a job on the park, and Cedar Fair are doing quite well at maintaining it and bringing things back up to a better standard.

I was at the park 4 times last year and everything was running, well staffed and the lines moved well.

Properly painting Top Gun will cost over $500,000 and with it being tucked back in the corner, I honestly don't see it being repainted for a few more years at least.

As for Son of Beast, they spent several million to trash the loop and put the G-Trains on, frankly, my thoughts are it will just be taken out and written off or just plain reopened. As much as I agree to pull out the Rosebowl, add a few hills, a high turnaround and low to the ground return reconnecting to the block, I just don't see them spending another $5 to $8 million just to do that... unless they rebrand and market the ride completely as "new".

CF could remarket SOB as, "the new and improved" or even "smoother". I believe the premier trains were smoother than the G-Trains and without the rosebowl, the ride would be way smoother IMO. The heavy premier trains were tearing apart the rosebowl, so get rid of it and i believe you have a smoother ride, granted not B&M smooth but it is a wooden coaster.

It would cost money, yes but not the amount of money that tearing down SOB and putting in a B&M invert or another comparable ride would cost!

Also the park would still be able to claim "World tallest, Fastest," wooden coaster. With Premier trains and loop, they can also claim "only Looping" wooden coaster! SOB may or may not be "second longest" with the new layout but it might be. Finally market SOB as if it was brand new saying "improved and smoother" and it will go over like a new ride with the GP. IIRC, Ed Hart's "Kentucky Kingdom, The Thrill Park" did this around 1994 with Thunder Run and it worked wonderfully!

There is a general consensus that everything broken at the park can be fixed right away.. and thats just not the case. They have only had the park for 3.5 years now.

Say what you will about Cedar Fair management, but they have put a ton of money into that park already and Planet Snoopy is still going to have a hefty price tag as well.

Paramount really did a job on the park, and Cedar Fair are doing quite well at maintaining it and bringing things back up to a better standard.

I was at the park 4 times last year and everything was running, well staffed and the lines moved well.

Properly painting Top Gun will cost over $500,000 and with it being tucked back in the corner, I honestly don't see it being repainted for a few more years at least.

As for Son of Beast, they spent several million to trash the loop and put the G-Trains on, frankly, my thoughts are it will just be taken out and written off or just plain reopened. As much as I agree to pull out the Rosebowl, add a few hills, a high turnaround and low to the ground return reconnecting to the block, I just don't see them spending another $5 to $8 million just to do that... unless they rebrand and market the ride completely as "new".

I read through your post thouroughly. You are right in the sense that CF has not been at the helm of this park for very long, and though I can't speak for others my skepticism comes from properties prior (like how they've let Knott's fade from what it once was)

^ That brings up a good point, Boll&Mab. But who's to say if Knotts still owned the place it would be the same as it always was. Look at how some people dislike the new Disney.

Nothing will ever stay the same, and with each negative change, you'll always find as many bright spots.

Heres something to think about with all the CF vs Paramount discussions:

When CF puts in a new ride, how many other rides do they take out in the process, and what is the reasoning behind it? Now compare that to Paramount.

I'm not sure just reopening the ride is an option now, unless they want to budget some additional money for lawsuits. Any injury that happens within 200 miles of that ride is now going to invite another legal entanglement.

^ Exactly. But remember, it was inspected and cleared by the state.

The cheapest thing to do would be to reopen it and add a trim (if thats even possible) or they can knock it down... or redesign 1/3 of it.

Personally, they have enough stuff in that park to where knocking it down wouldn't upset that many people... as guest favorites still remain to be the Beast, Vortex and now Diamondback

I really don't like saying this about any coaster no matter how bad or rough they are, but they really just need to cut ties with SOB and tear it down. It's caused nothing but trouble since it opened and without majorly expensive modifications, won't get any better. The prudent choice for the long-term is just to tear it down and build something else there a couple years later.

I don't see Timberwolf being removed. Between the cheer days and Spirit Song weekends, they draw HUGE crowds into the park. Huge, HUNGRY crowds that are there the entire day. I'd say with just a couple major events per year they more than pay for the upkeep of Timberwolf. Besides, KI has so much undeveloped land why would they take something out that requires almost no upkeep.

They need to cut down SoB, though, unless they want to keep pouring money into it.

-James Dillaman

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.journal-news.com/news/hamilton-news/kings-island-ticket-tax-rejected-by-mason-city-council-536605.html?cxtype=rss_local-news

MASON — The cost to park and play at Kings Island might not go up when the amusement park opens this spring after city leaders shot down proposed admission and parking taxes. With more than 200 people in attendance, Mason City Council, with the exception of the biggest proponent of the taxes Councilman Tony Bradburn, voted against both the proposed 3 percent ticket and 5 percent parking tax legislation. The taxes could have spelled the demise of other venues like The Beach Waterpark, according to Councilman Rich Cox, who said “I’m not going to let that happen, not on my watch.”

Had the council passed the tax, purchasers of a Kings Island gold season pass — which includes parking — would have paid an additional $3 for their $99.99 pass. Park-goers would have had pony up an extra $2 for a parking pass. Corporate clients, which make up about one-third of Kings Island’s business, would have taken the biggest hit had the tax passed. One company pays the park $1 million every year for a two-day event, said Vice President and General Manager Greg Scheid. That’s a $30,000 price hike. The more than $2 million the tax would have generated would have been used to pay for infrastructure improvements and emergency services, city officials said.

Mason leaders have said $24 million worth of improvements are needed at the Western Row Road and Interstate 71 interchange near Kings Island and the Beach Waterpark. They said when the amusement parks are operating, the city also incurs more calls for service for police and fire services.

Bradburn showed the crowd figures that illustrated the attractions in town aren’t paying their fair share for services they receive. He said the cost/revenue impact of other businesses like Procter & Gamble and Cintas is $10.9 million on the positive side but the local attractions cost the city about $3 million. “I’m a conservative,” he said, a remark some in the crowd scoffed at.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know if they are keeping Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle as is, or is it also getting the Peanuts makeover? It's not mentioned in the new listing, and it would take a huge effort, but I wish they would. Personally, I'm a much bigger Peanuts fan than I am a Nick/Scooby fan.

John Peck said, "as guest favorites still remain to be the Beast, Vortex and now Diamondback." I would also add Flight Of Fear and Firehawk to that list. Those rides always have huge lines on them too. FOF I love and understand the reason for it's popularity, but Firehawk...I just don't get the love people have for that thing.