TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I can't believe those comments! Wow.. I guess that's all I have to say about those comments!

IMO they should just tear it down.. I mean it would save the park some trouble.. So they should either put a new attraction in or something. But those are my thoughts.

If the ride was flawed and there were lots of problems with it, why did they open it in the first place?

You should watch some of the engineering disaster shows on the History Channel. It happens more often than you think.

I wonder if CF will finally just pull the plug on this thing.

I know for a fact the ride is technically braindead. The plug should be pulled. Let's not get all Terry Schivo on this issue. I talked with The Beast and she agrees: Her son's better off in rollercoaster heaven than trying to live on without his loop and his dignity.

-James "pull the plug" Dillaman

Channel 5 just ran a blurb about SoB being unsafe and what KI didn't tell people.... I'll post a link to the story once I find it, but it just goes to show that SoB is bad PR for the park, and the sooner they rid themselves of it, the better.

EDIT: Here's the news story:

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Engineer-Owners-Knew-Son-Of-Beast-Was-Flawed/-JOrBfT0zkys3hw4FVfovg.cspx

-James Dillaman

At first I was a bit torn on the issue. Sure, its a horrible ride that has little to no fun factor, but if you could take the pain and find the "good" seats, it had some redeeming qualities. Plus it's KI's legacy project and remains a record breaker, something that CF probabbly doesn't want to lose.

Anyways, I think what I'm trying to say is I can't wait for the worlds largest bonfire

At first I was a bit torn on the issue. Sure, its a horrible ride that has little to no fun factor, but if you could take the pain and find the "good" seats, it had some redeeming qualities.

Yes--think of all the warmth that could be generated by burning that huge stack of kindling.

Schmizze said when the ride opened in 2000, park owners knew they had a problem because the ride was swaying too much, likely due to inferior wood used.

Is there a sway or flexibility spec for new wooden coasters? I remember the year Mean Streak opened, the wood swayed on the station end turn-arounds...it was very noticeable. The next year, they didn't move at all.

Not sure if this was due to the wood "settling" or whether they went in and re-stabilized?

I know, I know...Mean Streak sucks regardless of sway or no sway. Tear it down, burn it down...yadda yadda, yadda!

The ride's rep. has already been ruined anyways to the GP and from the way it sounds, the whole structure is currupt. I predict it might come down later this year or sometime next year.

I wonder what their choice destruction will be? Chainsaw? Dynamite? Wrecking Ball (more likely.)?

Is there a sway or flexibility spec for new wooden coasters? I remember the year Mean Streak opened, the wood swayed on the station end turn-arounds...it was very noticeable. The next year, they didn't move at all.

You should see Rattler at Fiesta Texas sway. You'll think the ride is about to collapse it moves so much.

You should see Rattler at Fiesta Texas sway. You'll think the ride is about to collapse it moves so much.

That was SCARY watching that from the station!

^What do you mean when you say that SOB has potential?

I mean the idea of a hyper woodie is not necessarily a bad idea. Had KI/PKI gone with a better manufacturer ( Read as: Intamin) it may have been a hit. But however they decided to go with a company like RCCA and look how it turned out...

^I agree that at least it wouldn't have hurt so bad had it been built by Intamin, but even Intamin couldn't have saved that terribly pointless layout. How many giant pointless helices can one bad woody have?!?!

Now, a Werner Stengel, Intamin Plug and Play Hyper Woodie...Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

^ It has potential as firewood, of course.

I could see the press releases now.

Today Kings Island has donated several tons of firewood to local homeless shelters just in time for the holidays. "Was this Son of Beast? Yeah, well its more thrilling as firewood than a ride I can tell you that much."