TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

If your an Enthusiast, You love just about every Coaster

No. If you're an enthusiast, you understand what a good coaster is and don't praise bad ones.

I do kind of agree that I don't get the general opinion of "it's no good, tear it down." As long as it is profitable, coasters should remain operating.

Anyway, I was contemplating going to KI this year for Diamondback, but I don't think so. As a KI virgin, I think a ride on SOB is simply a necessary torment. Anyway, it's too long of a drive for me for something very similar to KD lol.

I guess I have a "condition" cause SOB hurt like hell when it had the loop and the old trains, and it hurts like hell since without the loop and new trains. I'll be at Kings Island this weekend and if it's open, I'll ride it once.... and that'll do it for me for the season.

Tom

It's really crappy how they don't even say it's closed on their official website. Is it really that hard for them to update it with a quick message saying "sorry folks, SOB is closed." Instead, people travel to the park and spend full price admission thinking they will get to ride it. I hope a bunch of people go all Griswald on the park.

i dont think so. i heard when ever that accident on the lift hill was that they used the wrong kind of wood or something. at least that pile of might be removed . i say to replace it with a eurofighter lol. or maybe add a ride like timber tower in dollywood
Said accident didn't happen on the lift hill, it happened on the first double helix. I was two trains from getting on the ride that day in the front seat when the first of two trains of riders came back injured. From the looks of it, there was no accident this time around, just a decision made not to open it.

actually there was one where the train was heading up and then the people said they heard a screech and bunch of cracks and then the train jerked to a stop. i think it was in 2007.

No. If you're an enthusiast, you understand what a good coaster is and don't praise bad ones.

I agree with that "If you're an enthusiast..." statement. I'm not saying anyone isn't an enthusiast, but I know I can't ride coasters and go to parks at will year round. I also know for me, there is only a 2-3 month window where I ride coasters and go to parks. Hell, I'll ride any coaster (and enjoy it) just because it's a coaster, knowing that in a couple months I will be going 9-10 months without riding anything.

Argument Smiting time

I Can handle rough coasters, My #1 spot was tied between RWB At geauga lake and SoB For several years

They were both Rough & Tumble woodies, But SOB Made up for it with the epic loop and RWB Was a fun, rerideable coaster with a fun layout

RWB Is now Defunct, and they removed the ONE good feature about SoB (the fact that it was the ONLY looping wooden in operation)

Now? it's a big drop, a meh helix, another meh helix, etc. and it has it's really horrifyingly rough days and some smooth days

But, i'd rather go ride a wooden like Thunderbolt @ KW or Wildcat @ Hershey, that makes up for being rough with a fun, Airtime-laden layout, with massive reride value

Sure, SOB shouldnt really be torn down, it is still a record holder (It is still the tallest pure-wood coaster in the world, is it not?) but it SHOULD be worked on heavily, and should get it's loop back

Why? It becomes the only looping wooden coaster again, they could smooth out the areas where it is almost always rough as heck (First helix comes to mind) and would make it a much better ride overall

I'm pretty sure just about any enthusiast will agree with me that removing the major selling point of the ride was a stupid idea

"Just about"? Hrm.

So, if I were a film buff, would I be required to like every movie?

/Son of Beast sucked with a loop.

//Don't see any reason to ride it without one.

I can't believe the horror of it all! For goodness sake, please open SoB within the next couple of days for the sake of all humanity...aaaand I'll be at KI on Monday and want at least one ride to get the credit. After that everyone can argue whether or not to make s'mores with the damn thing or caress it and whisper "sweet nothings" into its cross beams, just as long as I get my credit.

I don't like SOB for one reason, and it is not the roughness. It's just a boring layout for me.

Bingo.

I rode SOB back when it had the loop and I thought it was "alright" at best. The only memorable things are the first drop and the loop. The loop is now gone and the first drop just doesn't seem too impressive now with woodies like Voyage and El Toro.

It's rough, no doubt, but nothing unbearable. The problem, again, is that there is nothing good that comes out of the roughness. There are loads of woodies where spots of roughness are great (I think of the new end of Boulder Dash), but if there really isn't any air involved or any great maneuvers, it's just boring. It's like the difference between getting "beat up" doing ski jumps vs actually getting beat up.

I wouldn't say its the worst coaster in the world, but it certainly isn't anything special. I wouldn't mind seeing KI tear it down to make way for a better coaster, but wouldn't want it torn down just for the sake of it.

Is there anything other than some random text messages and twitter updates that say this ride is down for more than a few days? I mean, there are about a thousand different reasons for a ride to be down for a few days in the summer. No big deal.

However, if something did happen, I wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Fair throws in the towel on this one. It was never built right to begin with and rides like a shopping cart on a cobblestone road at 70mph.

^Yeah, but in 90 percent of big parks, there's at least one good coaster, so why would you ride a bad coaster and "enjoy" it, when you could ride a good or even mediocre coaster?

Yeah, I know, I'll definitely ride the better coasters more. I'm just saying that I like riding coasters, period, so I'll enjoy (to a certain extent) every coaster I ride.

I know it's a small bandwagon, but based on my four rides back in 2003 I used to have this at number one woodie. It's been surpassed, but those helices were fun rough, not rough rough.

But I got my ride on it, so it can be killed in favor of Intamin Goodness if the park wishes.

I'm willing to bet that this ride is gone within the next 6 years. Sometimes a "prototype" coaster clearly isn't working (200 ft. hyper looping woodie qualifies here), and parks will take the hint and save themselves some time and money. We've seen it happen recently with the Deja Vu's and the original X trains.

I actually like Son of Beast...sure it's rough, and the jackhammering in the rosebowl is quite painful, but a couple Tylenol will help take care of that.

Sitting in the 2nd to last row back in April, we experienced about 3-4 moments of weak airtime. My friend and I laughed the entire time at the amount of ohs and ouches we heard coming from the rest of the riders on the train.

Sure it isn't the best ride in the world---or anywhere near it---but it is still very popular with the GP, and is somewhat of a 'landmark' at KI.

Besides, the wood that SOB was constructed out of can't be burned, can it?

Can we at least wait till after the 5th July till people do bad things to it? I wish to grab this as a credit before any burning or removal of important lumber is done...

God this is just like the Colossus arguements on the English forums as well, some say it's too rough, some say it's ok... It's amusing the similarities between enthusiasts from the two sides of the Atlantic...

Either way, I want to ride this just to see who to believe, but hey, I didn't like Ghostrider, so if SoB is to the same scale of roughness as that I won't like it, yet my mum will...

We all have different opinions, and as much as we say or think 'You're WRONG!' about it all, that's not gonna make them change their view, simple as...

Hopefully all stays well for those that want to ride it this year.

I rode it earlier this year and did not enjoy it at all. While bad, it was better then Mean Streak by a large margin.

The one thing I will always remember of the ride is when I joking said to my fiancee we should ride it again. Her response, and I have been with her almost 5 years, was "If you seriously want me to ride that again, I will leave you." She was not kidding and she loves wooden coasters.

I don't like it much either. The Rose bowl really hurts me.

The thing I would do is remove the rose bowl and put in a few airtime hills, a low to the ground series and a high turnaround and that should do it.

Or just take it out all together.