TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

When I first rode in the middle of the train (sorta), I was disappointed by the amount of air-time. However, later in the day, I was blown away by the abundance of it in the back of the train. The ride was amazing and has received 9.5/10 on CoasterFanatics.com (placing it as their number three ride. My apologies if TPR is a hater of CoasterFanatics for some reason). However, I haven't ridden any other B&M hyper-coasters to compare it to, so I don't feel like I can join the discussion of comparing it.

Same goes for me Ty. My first 3 rides on it, I got assigned seat 8 (Very Middle) and I was disapointed, but my last 2 Rides a different Ride Op. Was assigning seats and she was nice enough to let me wait for the back so My last two rides were amazing! Great airtime! And the splashdown was awesome getting soaked! I've only ridden 2 other B&M Hypers (Goliath SFOG and Raging Bull.) Raging Bull is my #10 Coaster, and Goliath is my #2, Diamondback takes it's place as my #1 Coaster.

They should at least be Dispatching by the time the first train reaches the MCBR. On B&M's they have the ability to dispatch as soon as the lift block clears, this would be the ideal dispatch interval. Saturday was a terrible day of operation, but for opening day they did their best. I'd rather see them get used to the ride and be safe before they start rushing their way through safety checks. It seems like the restraining system is slowing them down the most though, having to look for the line and having the safety system green light the restraint for dispatch.

This is kinda off topic. But i'm planning to get a platinum pass, normal i would get a cear point one. But since the new ride is a kings islaND. i'm getting it for there since i can go there this weekend. So i want to know were i can get kings island platinum pass pass. beside online and at the park?

^ no where else I'm afraid. I think you answered yourself if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I am.

But back on topic, a week from today I'll be heading to Kings Island to conquer this beast and the other two Beasts as well! if anyone is interested maybe a few peeps would like an imprompto meetup?

PM me if you're interested

I didnt know they had 3 trains. It could go much faster if they would tell people to move expeditiously in and out the trains. They did that at Universal on Jurrasic Park when I went last and it didnt take but 30 secs to load and unload. I saw a video of the loading and unloading and the restraints do seem hard to ME at all. It is almost self loading. If the ride ops would move faster and stop playing with each other, the trains could be almost ready when the other train makes it to the top of the lift.

^ They COULD be. I have been at Six Flags Great Adventure during fright fest and all lines were 3+ hours, besides Nitro. Nitro's crew was dispatching trains the second after the train in front of it cleared the lift hill. The line was no longer than 15-30 minutes.

Diamondback definitely has the capability to be run just as Nitro was, but in the end, it all is narrowed down to the crew. I'm sure the dispatches will get quicker as the season goes on because in realization, this was the first time the crew ran the ride with non-stop passengers.

-Jon

Thought I'd add my thoughts/review of Diamondback, having had the opportunity to ride it 4 times tonight, never once waiting for longer than 20 minutes. My four rides all came on the right side of the train, in rows 12,16,1,2 (in that order).

The Trains

The trains are fantastic. The v-shape elevated seating arrangement really does offer up a nice view regardless of seat, keeping a nice open space in front of you. The seats are comfortable, and the lack of a seatbelt really allows for airtime and a bit of an "unprotected' feel. There's literally nothing around you (especially if you ride in the even numbered rows with the spaced out seats). It's easily the most open coaster train I've ever been on. Blow's Intamin hyper trains outta the water.

The look of the trains is equally fantastic. The detailing of the trains to make them look like snakes is an awesome touch. The fangs, especially are great. Probably the only trains that are better looking/themed are the Dueling Dragon trains at IOA.

Rides in the Back

The back of the train was a lot of fun. The first drop is just stunning. Though its 80 feet shorter than MF, it doesn't feel like it. You just seem to drop forever, and the speed is top notch. From the back (much like on Vortex) you get yanked over the top. This is due in large part to how fast the lift is. It's a chain lift, but it might as well be a cable lift. You fly up the hill at a pretty impressive ascent angle. From the back, your butt is off the seat the entire 22 stories you plummet.

Speaking of which, rocketing down over the midway is quite the sight... really adds to the drop, barreling down towards the crowd. That element, coupled with the incredibly open seating and lack of seatbelt, made this my favorite first drop on a coaster.

The rest of the ride from the back is pretty much non-stop floater air. Your practically never in your seat. As you start to crest each hill, you lift up, and you're not back down until you've started up the next hill.

The hammerhead turn is more fun from the back in my opinion, as you feel the overbank more.

Fifth hill trim doesn't do much, and the following helix is great. Good forces, lotta fun. Into the MCBR and then out. In the back, there's a nice burst of air here. The following two small hills are fun and provide nice floater air as well.

Last helix isn't as forceful or enjoyable as the first, but its proximety to the midway helps it out some. Splashdown area looks amazing, and in the back seat... you'll get wet. I know there's been a lot of talk about the fact that DB's splashdown is "pointless cuz it doesn't get anyone wet." Sit in the last row, you'll think otherwise.

Rides in the Front

The back is great, but the front is even better. Rows 1 or 2 (they're virtually the same experience due to the V shaped seating) are absolutely incredible.

The first drop is entirely different, and while you're only out of your seat for a fraction of the time as in the back... looking down as you crest the hill and start to pick up speed is just wild. With the open cars and nothing in front of you, you just fall forward, folding over your restraint, looking down 200+ feet. Though its only 74 degrees, the drop looks vertical when you're hanging over the edge. It just curves until it disappears.

The second hill is a nice surprise on this coaster... even more so in the front. You crest the hill with such speed that you get borderline ejector air. The speed you pick up at the base of the second drop feels is excellent. You're doing just over 80mph (which is fast enough in itself) but because the drop hugs the ground and rockets between two supports... it just further enhances the perception of speed. Simply phenomenal section of the ride.

The third hill and hammerhead are great as well, though the hammerhead doesn't seem as banked from the front.

But the fifth hill... the fifth hill is it. I know a lot of talk on these forums puts Intamin hypers above B&M often with people breaking it down to a simple case of Intamin ejector air Vs B&M floater. Welcome to B&M ejector air. Two rides in the front car, and both times, I was hurled from my seat going over the 5th hill, slammed upward into the clamshell restraint, then plastered back down from the forces. The back might more of a forceful floater, but from the front seat, the 5th hill gave definite shove-you-outta-your-seat ejector air. Incredible.

First helix is equally great up front. Drop out of the MCBR isn't as good, but the air over the two small hills is solid, and in the front seat, there's a nice burst of air coming outta the final helix, heading into the splashdown.

And to top it off, from the front seat, you get a last hit of air-time heading into the brakes. When you can catch definite air as you hit the brakes... you've got a winner.

Night Rides

Kings Island is famous for The Beast and the great night rides it provides. Even coaster enthusiasts who don't rate the Beast so highly tend to agree that a night ride on it is a can't miss. Well, there might be a better night ride in the park now.

Only the splashdown is lit-up. And once you clear the first drop and move away from the midway and into the woods, the ride is virtually pitch black. Sky rocketing up 160 feet and plummeting down 190 in total darkness = amazing.

Overall

I'd give the ride about a 9.8 or 9.9 outta ten, docking just a couple tenths because the last helix just doesn't live up to the rest of the ride. Still, this thing has it all. Amazing, open trains. A steep fast lift hill. Incredible first drop over the midway. Then disappears in the woods all by itself. Massive amounts of air-time (endlessly outta your seat in the back with constant floater air. An excellent combination of floater, forceful floater, and ejector air at the front of the train), a great first helix, and an awesome splashdown element that sets it apart from virtually every other coaster out there.

Definitely the best ride in the park. Easily the best ride in Ohio (sorry Maverick). Jumps to #1 on my list easily. The second and fifth hills are the gems, especially from the front. I still can't get over the air cresting the fifth hill. Even with the trim... I was just thrown out of my seat.

Absolutely amazing ride. 22 million very well spent.

Definitely the best ride in the park. Easily the best ride in Ohio (sorry Maverick). Jumps to #1 on my list easily. The second and fifth hills are the gems, especially from the front. I still can't get over the air cresting the fifth hill. Even with the trim... I was just thrown out of my seat.

Absolutely amazing ride. 22 million very well spent.

Wow, better than Maverick? I need to get my butt to KI soon! I doubt DB will top my list, but I am excited now. Especially for a night ride because I love the beast at night.

After today...I claim Diamondback as my number one. As stated above, Diamondback gives floater air, forceful floater, and pretty much ejector air.

I think I've been in every row now...and every seat is fantastic.

Front - Beautiful views, insane airtime over every hill.

-First drop kind of lets you fall against the restraint, then gives you airtime.

-Second hill just throws you out of your seat. Ejector.

-Third hill does the same, just not quite as good.

-Hammerhead spins you around

-Fourth hill gives ejector.

-Pop into MCBR.

-Fifth gives Little floater down into the ravine from the MCBR

-Sixth is a nice camelback, airtime.

-Seventh is a repeat.

-Pop airtime down into watersplash

-Airtime into breakrun.

Middle, row 8. It's right in the middle...constant floater air...it's like your typical B&M hyper with a tase of the front and back.

-First drop gives great airtime all the way down.

-Second hill lets you float forever.

-Third hill does the same, just as good.

-Hammerhead spins you around..kind forceful.

-Fourth hill gives ejector/forceful airtime.

-MCBR.

-Fifth gives floater down into the ravine from the MCBR

-Sixth is a nice camelback, floater airtime.

-Seventh is a repeat.

-Pop airtime down into watersplash

-Airtime into breakrun.

Row 16, as farrrr back as you can go is my favorite. Read below.

-First drop is kind of like Millennium Force and a B&M hyper hill. You get ejected.

-Second hill just floats you around, and throws you out of your seat.

-Third hill does the same, just as good.

-Hammerhead spins you around, very good sense of speed and force.

-Fourth hill gives ejector.

-MCBR.

-Fifth gives nice airtime down into the ravine from the MCBR

-Sixth is a nice camelback, airtime.

-Seventh is a repeat.

-Awesme pop airtime down into watersplash

-Breakrun.

Riding at night is a MUST!!!! I swear it gets better and better every time I ride it...holy crap, I love this ride.

^Were you in an electric blue shirt and dark brown/black New Balances? If so, you exited from row 13 as I boarded row 12. Anyway...

I was at the park to get my pass processed, and went through the gates for about an hour. I rode twice in 20 minutes, in row 12 and then second from the back. I slowly meandered my way to Flight of Fear, rode that once (I love it, but the cobra roll is brutal--even with lapbars), then wandered back to LSHOF and grabbed a ride in the 2nd row. All 3 of my rides were in the red train, oddly enough. The farthest back the line ever got to when I was there was directly under the lift, just short of the stairs leading into the station.

I'm not really sure what I can add that hasn't already been said. Certainly a front row ride. First drop is fantastic, though personally, nothing will top MF. You experience the proper amount of air depending on your seat, and the drop into the ravine gathered enough speed to literally blow the tears out of my eyes. You notice the trim, but it doesn't catch too hard--it does make noise though (which kind of "tainted" it for me, just hearing that it did kick in, albeit slightly). The return hills gave me "perfect" floater airtime in the middle and back, where I felt the same amount of pressure from the restraint as I did from my seat.

It is, without question, the best ride at KI. Two of the three GP I rode with put it "a notch below Millennium" and claims it "takes the place of Delirium as favorite ride". I haven't decided where it ranks in the state, and don't think I can until I get a night ride on it. For me, though, it's up with Maverick and Millie, so it is in good company. This was a big win for KI.

Does the mcbr forcefully pop you into the restraint in the back row on the drop following it like it does on Apollos chariot and Nitro? Thats one of my favorite parts of those two coasters. I love that part on Nitro because its far into the ride so most of the general public towards the back think the ride is over, and then all scream really loud when they get popped out of their seats.

I want to Kings Island yesterday to. I wanted to get my cedar fairs pass and also ride db.

First thoughts, It looks really good towing over the park. I thought since you could get in early with a pass that it would be testing when i got there about 345. But it was not kinda shocked me. Once i got all my paper work taken care of. i made my way back to db. I wanted to knock it out first not knowing how long the line would end up. Got there a little after 5, Walked to line about a 5 min wait. The ride looks really cool running all the way back to the end of the park. The water splash down area also ends a nice new look to the area.

My first ride was in the middle of the train since the girl working would not let me wait for the front. SO I get in sit down. Really like the trains. Seats are nice and don’t hurt or uncountable for some one 6'6".

My thoughts after the ride, I was really really disappointed. Everyone talked about how good it was. i got off and was like well that sucked. First drop was good but feels smaller when your going over it then it is. Then after that there was no air time really no speed hammerhead turn sucked-slow force less.

So after being disappointed I just wanted to walk around the park and just rode everything else and just walked around and enjoy the nice day that we had yesterday .

So after ridding everything in about two hours. I just thought I will try to get a few more rides on it so that I could find out if it was really that bad or just a bad seat.

Ride 2. This time I need to ride in the front. So I waited about 15 min at the most for my front row ride. The view from the front is really good. The drop this time was a lot stronger and faster. the next few hill gave me a lot of crazy air time. The hammerhead was a lot stronger. And found my self enjoying the ride a lot more.

ride 3. Want for row 16 the back. The ride in the back is fun. you get thrown over the hill and get a lot of air time as well. mcbr are light and get some more floating air. the final helix at the end before the splashdown sucks slow and force less. In all seats. The water splash down is really big but did get me a little wet on the lift side back seat.

Overall thoughts. the best ride in the park hands down. run ride differently think it passed magnum on my list. but that’s it not the best steel ride ever but a good one. After thinking about my first ride. i think since it was so early in the day the train and wheels had not warmed up yet, so that why it was running super slow. And that’s why the trims were off and just putted around the track. Also this maybe the quietest ride I have ever been on.

over all I get it a 7.5 or 8 good ride for the park and adds a lot to the park and area as well.

My first ride was in the middle of the train since the girl working would not let me wait for the front. SO I get in sit down. Really like the trains. Seats are nice and don’t hurt or uncountable for some one 6'6".

My thoughts after the ride, I was really really disappointed. Everyone talked about how good it was. i got off and was like well that sucked. First drop was good but feels smaller when your going over it then it is. Then after that there was no air time really no speed hammerhead turn sucked-slow force less.

I had the same thought but I did find a way around it. Either sit towards the front of back, or try not to pull the lap bar down as far as it can go. When I sat in the back, I had a good inch and a half between me and the lap bar. On the first drop I really felt like I was going to fall out (Millennium Force's first drop seemed tame compared to this). That made it an amazing ride.