TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

To reply back to the skid brake vs magnetic trimming of the Best issue:

When there was the skid brakes, it was really only "noticeable" in the covered stretch but with the magnetic trims, OMG! The trim break on the first hill for example threw me forward in my seat! There were a few other places too that were like this. For example the covered area is now even slower due to these trims and the part before the second lift hill seems only about half speed. Now there is ONE area that I welcomed the new trims at, and that was the downhill portion on the finale helix. I like the trims here because it makes the helix a little more bareable on the body but that's it!

So in closing is this coaster in my top 10 wooden coasters anymore? Nope.

Will I be voting it in the Amusement Today poll? Nope.

Remove some of the trims (espicially the one on the damn first hill) and I'll change my mind.

Tom

Yeah, there was either a media event or something going on today.

--Robb

Total hours of employee ERT this season.....5.

From 3-6 today. And I'm on vacation

Sunday I'll be there to ride, though!

Yep a second Employee Ride time before the grand opening. I am excited for the opening day on Satursday.

Too bad the park is closed on Sunday for a private event. This weekend would've been completely awesome if it wasn't...the largest firework show in the U.S. on Saturday, and then Diamondback on Sunday. Oh well, I will definitely have to go up on the 25th. I've never been on a B&M hyper, and this will finally give me something to possibly knock SFOT's Titan down a notch.

It doesn't look like they have built a very large queue. I know the ride has a high capacity, but that little section just seems really small.

Its hard to see but there's another set of switchbacks that runs parallel to the lift after the initial shaded square switchback section. Though I do admit it still looks like a fairly small queue.

Does anyone else feel like the splashdown is pointless on this ride?

I don't really see an observation area where people can get close or possibly wet. Sheikra and Griffon both utilize the splashdown effect perfectly and I often see people standing and watching train-after-train go through the splashdown. Not to mention too that the trains on Diamondback are so long that the front of the train is almost to the brakes when the back half dips low enough to create the splash.

I think the overall ride looks fantastic, but the splashdown just seems pointless to me on this ride.

^The splash pool won't have any observation area/wet zone. It's merely for aesthetic purposes. But I think its something extremely unique, and great for the park. Sure, it's not really anything to necessarily write home about, but it'll be cool to see, especially in a few years when the area around the

pool has had a chance to develop. I think its a great idea.

And about the queue not being large enough... There really doesn't need to be that much of a queue area for the ride. Given that we're looking at it from a webcam on the Eiffel Tower, it's more than likely a larger concrete pad than it looks. Plus the overflow will help on busy days. But given that this is a B&M, it should be a people-eater. There are no seatbelts to check, so I don't see it taking really all that long to dispatch each train. I see the line moving at a fairly constant pace. It wouldn't surprise me if they need to set up temporary queues for the first few months, but I don't see the line taking all that long.

I won an auction seat for DB, and the weather looks great for Saturday. I have to be there REALLY early, but it will be a fun experience, and I fully expect it to deliver. I grew up going to KI and I still consider it my home park, so I'm glad they finally got a big B&M.

I think the splashdown is mainly to entertain people walking by or watching it, and it's also a first for B&M's Hypers. Either way, it's a selling point, and a great photo-op. It'll keep the scum off the pond, too.

I'll post photos from the opening when I have time.

That looks AWESOME! I think its already looking like its better than Behemoth and I haven't even rode it yet! Can't wait to try it out tomorrow! Also, whats up with all the unfinished construction near the Crypt? Will the Crypt be open for opening day? I'm totally excited!

Anybody who's staying at a hotel this weekend (out of towners coming to ride Diamondback)...

Papa John's has an extra large extra cheese pizza on special for only $11.99, and they're open until 1:30 am on Saturday. If you want to save some money, eat sparingly at the park and get pizza delivered to your hotel. I'm just trying to help out as many people don't know about the deal.

On another note, I can't wait to get on Diamondback myself. I'm debating on whether I need a season pass or not...

-James Dillaman

I see airtime I really can't wait to try this thing out now. Simply amazing!

My bus is leaving at 8, so I should be at KI 11ish, and if processing takes as long as last year, I should be in the park at noon wearing my LSHoF shirt, since its the closest thing to a TPR shirt I have..