TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I thought they were talking about the spiral staircase because that is still not installed either.

I was, at least

Oh, yeah, I meant to say your username but I just said they.

And Carnage, what do you mean when you say

^ If you're talking about that small flight of stairs at the end of the break run, it's there for easier access to the train when stopped on the brake run.

Like if the train doesn't stop completely between the breaks?

This just in from Kings Island:

http://www.kidiamondback.com/public/latest/

First Ride on Diamondback Up For Auction

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – Kings Island, in cooperation with A Kid Again, formerly known as Adventures for Wish Kids, is holding an auction for the first rides on the new Diamondback roller coaster that will appeal to philanthropists and coaster-enthusiasts alike.

Beginning February 2, the park will auction off a minimum of 96 seats to the highest bidders, who will be the first official riders on Diamondback – the tallest, fastest and meanest roller coaster to ever strike Kings Island. Bids can be placed until April 15 by visiting www.kidiamondback.com/public/auction or by calling Kings Island at (800) 288-0808.

A winning bid will include the inaugural ride on Diamondback, a commemorative first rider ticket, a special gift from the park and an admission ticket. Following the inaugural ride, each event ticket holder will be invited to stay and play in the park until closing at 10:00pm.

The official opening of Diamondback, including the top bidders supporting A Kid Again, will take place on Opening Day, April 18. The highest successful bidder will select their seat on the first train while all other successful bidders will be assigned their seats according to their bid amount. Minimum bids begin at $50.00.

One-hundred percent of the proceeds from the auction will go directly to A Kid Again. Founded July 6, 1995, A Kid Again is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing fun-filled outings and on-going support to children with life threatening illnesses and their families from the day of diagnosis until the children reach the age of 20.

Because A Kid Again is a 501 © (3) not-for-profit, the donation from top bidders is tax-deductable to the fullest extent of the IRS tax code.

A Kid Again currently has over 1,380 children with life threatening illness enrolled into its programs. The organization includes the entire family on its adventures, thus serving over 6,500 hurting people annually!

Diamondback is the 15th roller coaster at Kings Island. The ride stands 230 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 215 feet at a 74-degree angle and will snake its way around 5,282 feet of track in excess of 80 miles per hour. Guests must be a minimum of 54 inches or taller to ride Diamondback.

Diamondback first rider information:

* A minimum of 96 bidders will be seated.

* Bids must start at $50.00 and may be increased at any time until bidding is closed.

* Bids will not be posted until they have been secured by phone with a credit card to assure legitimacy.

* The bidding process will close the morning of April 15, at 8:30am. It is our intention to keep you informed through this website. To bid, simply go to www.kidiamondback.com/public/auction. Also, the top bidders will be listed so you can check the status of your bid.

* The official opening of Diamondback, including the top bidders supporting A Kid Again, will take place on Opening Day, April 18.

* The highest successful bidder will select their seat on the first train while all other successful bidders will be assigned their seats according to their bid amount.

Kings Island is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Kings Island, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

Hey everyone I recently had an interview with Don from Kings Island! I asked him some questions about Diamondback. It is about 6 minutes or so.

Let me know what you think about it

link to the site: http://www.coaster-net.com

It should be on the top. Also feel free to register and post there

Or here is the direct link to the video to download:

http://www.coaster-net.com/videos/kingsisland2009_carstenanderson.wmv

That was a nice little interview. I was kind of hoping to hear more about the viewing/splashdown area, though. Did we ever get a definitive answer on that? Is it going to be like SheiKra/Griffon, with a very interactive splash area?

/Maybe that's been answered and I just missed it.

Yes it has been answered and it comes from Don No it won't be I would love it to though!

Here is the link for that

http://www.kidiamondback.com/public/latest/blog/index.cfm?entry=a169d1bc-00aa-4dd0-adc3-22e6d3fa0b51

Will potential bystanders get wet in any way near Diamondback's splashdown?

Jordan Hill - Georgetown, KY

The ride has been designed to keep the water in and around the splashdown area. The area by the splashdown isn't flat which would have created an issue with water settling in one area, right in front of LaRosa's.

Hopefully it will work better than Cedar Point's morning ERT on Maverick....all it did was allow you to get in a 45 minute line earlier than the GP, that is unless you ran a mile to the back in under five minutes...

This has 3 big trains, only one restraint to check, and a lot less to break. The capacity situation should be much better than that nightmare that was Maverick's opening year.

Hopefully it will work better than Cedar Point's morning ERT on Maverick....all it did was allow you to get in a 45 minute line earlier than the GP, that is unless you ran a mile to the back in under five minutes...

Go Nay!

-JZ

I'm also hoping that line won't be really long (or if it is, it moves quickly) when I go in late July (bad time, I know, but that's when my cousin's wedding is, so it's mu only option). If they are anything like the Nitro crew when running 3 trains, I have zero worries, man can that crew do work.

Yes it has been answered and it comes from Don No it won't be I would love it to though!

Okay, thanks.

/Er...what, exactly, is the point of the splashdown then?

Splashdowns aren't just for visual effect, they also act as a natural braking measure. I believe I read somewhere that the splashdown on SheiKra accounts for up to 30% of the braking on the ride.